Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
LD, nice job! Thanks for those excellent and informative pictures! That's how it's done!

As for putting a stock battery on it's side, that wouldn't be a good idea because the fluid inside could leak out (water/acid solution).

Lee...what's up with the picture? It has nothing to do with the subject at hand?:confused:

·
Vendor
457 Posts
I been considering the LifePo battery option for a while now and like the quick disconnect idea but would like to leave a secondary battery in place to run the clock, immobilizer, alarm etc. The problem is finding a secondary battery that is small enough to fit underseat with the main battery. I think this would be especially handy for multi-day rides.
I looked into this and the main problem is that the LiFePO4 batteries run at a higher voltage than a small lead-acid (or any other technology) and that creates charging issues.

The only way to do it (have a backup battery keeping the memory) would be to have a plug in battery.

You would plug in the back up battery and remove the LiFePO4.

When you install the LiFePO4 again you would unplug the backup.

A decent backup battery is $25-$30 by itself so by the time is was all said and done it would be in the $60-$75 range for the backup system.

HTH

·
Vendor
457 Posts
If this helps avoid confusion...
LFX14(Case size 2) vs LFX18 (Case size 1)

I think I could get the OEM set on with the 18 fitted, but I need to move the ECU to the Reg/Rec mounting holes, and even more likely if I trim the underside plastic bracing of the seat base down a few mm.
Okay, this is the info I missed the first time through . . .

although you show it under seat, are you saying that you have not gotten the seat back down onto the bike for riding?

Or am I missing something?

I just want to know if the 18AH fits under the seat and if the seat fits back on the bike.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Project Update,

This Sunday on a cool (45F) morning in Seattle I rolled the bike out for my first attempt at a start. To my amazement that tiny battery fired it right up! No doubt the moto electric cables helped.

So far so good, will report in as I get some miles on this setup.

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
No more battery, no more mess.
Looking at this photo makes me ask has anyone developed side covers like the old bevel drive SS used to have? It would cover up the back of the tank that just kind of hangs there and make it look even more like the original. Of course it could look terrible but it might work.

Jim

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looking good Rudy!

My Ducati mechanic was quite impressed with the setup. I do not miss the big plastic box!

Lee

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Looking at this photo makes me ask has anyone developed side covers like the old bevel drive SS used to have? It would cover up the back of the tank that just kind of hangs there and make it look even more like the original. Of course it could look terrible but it might work.

Jim
Aluminum panels ala Ness FXR side covers would be nice with an aluminum tank and tail. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
As for putting a stock battery on it's side, that wouldn't be a good idea because the fluid inside could leak out (water/acid solution).
I actually ran my OEM Gel battery on it's side for about 2 months with no problems whatsoever, and whether I asked my favoured mechanics (including Mike Dawson), or googled the do's & don'ts of AGM batteries, 99% of sources said that they run fine on their side with no leakage issues (they are commonly used like this in Marine applications - so Google tells me).

As I am using a Diopa seat (with more height clearance than stock) the OEM battery actually fits under the seat on it's side with no modifications - except relocating the R/R - and had I been less bothered about losing weight, or was more cash-strapped, I may have left it there...

Happy to hear more views on this though. I now run an LFX18 with no problems of any kind in any weather, and even with infrequent riding. Brilliant.

I've tried to refit my Bipsoto seat with the LFX18 where it is now (see previous pics), and it almost fits - if I trim down the leading edge of the seat bracing lines, I think it would go on - just. However, I'm positive that if I relocated the ECU To where the R/R used to be and mount the LFX18 at the back of the bike, the Biposto seat will easily go on.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
I actually ran my OEM Gel battery on it's side for about 2 months with no problems whatsoever...
Correct, AGM would be fine. It's the batteries that need acid/water added that would have issues.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts

Jim
I don't know if it would look terrible. I agree with you that it would cover things up and look more like the originals. I wonder why the GT got them but the mono did not.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
It's my understanding, from somewhere long ago in this forum, that the side covers aren't plug-n-play for the monos but I think a couple minor tweaks was all it took. Anyone remember for sure?

And isn't it past your bedtime? :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been thinking about this modification lately, but have one question - would it be possible to install the battery in an upright position (with Monoposto seat storage tray removed) to allow for the RR to be kept in the stock location?

I would love to be able to remove the battery box AND keep the RR hidden as well.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The Ballistic 12 cell LiFePO4 battery is laying down in my mono. At the time of installation it looked like it would fit upright if moved rearward which would've entailed more work and placed the weight farther away from the bike's center of gravity. If you have a solid state R/R it would probably work. IMO The R/R really can't be seen if relocated unless you bend over to look at it. But a hugger is probably a good idea with a relocated R/R.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

I got the wired under the seat kit. Very high quality stuff. I made all the under seat modifications. But I am little fuzzy on the other end of connections and the path of the wires. Does anyone have pictures of final installed product on the solenoid and starter. Especially path of wire coming around the other side and the engine. I have a gt100. The on line install guide confuses me a little.

Thanks.
Sebouh

·
Official Retired Person
7,168 Posts
Why not just ft some GT covers? Half the owners on here are throwing theirs away.
If anyone here wants to dispose of a pair of the GT covers, please PM me. I'd like to get my hands on a pair.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
I originally had the 8 cell "SpeedCell" battery installed for almost 3 years. With the 1100cc and high compression, it just wasn't cutting it. If it started on the first 1-2 cranks it was fine, but on a cold day, it would drain it. I decided to install the 12cell Antigravity Battery. It was still small and light weight and made in USA.

I had to completely reposition everything to make it work. The regulator was already underneath the tray, so it was time to put the ECU where the regulator was. Then I made a nice little battery tray on the rapid prototype machine at work. Designed it to use the stock rubber strap from the original battery case. I had to remove the storage box cover in the seat because of the height. The bike now turns over faster, and keeps up even in a cold day.

Check it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the photos, Lee! They really helped me with the install.

And Michael at motolectric, great kit!!!! Saves a ton a weight, cleans up the look of the bike, and starts up instantly. I highly recommend it!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts