Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with Michael Heth of Motolectric to come up with an under-seat mounting system that keeps the ability to but the bike back to stock.

This system uses a Shorai LiFePO4 LFX14A2-BS12 battery on a quick disconnect so it can be removed on cold mornings and warmed up for easier starting. I also ordered a 26” solenoid to starter lead so I could route the wire to the left side away from my belts.

All the Motolectric components were of top quality and look strong enough to start a tank!

These are the installation steps I came up with:
1. Remove the voltage regulator.
2. Cut off the two unused plastic lugs in picture-1 (they will push the battery into the seat pan).
3. Relocate the voltage regulator under the seat with some m6 screws. Use metal spacers to hold the VR off the electronics tray a bit for cooling, see picture-2.
4. Install the battery with some adhesive backed Velcro in the location shown in picture-3. (The grey tray is not required)
5. Install the quick disconnect to the battery and attach to tray, picture-4.
6. Connect to the old battery and carefully wrap connection to prevent shorts, see picture-5. Zip tie connections to the bottom of the rear tank mount. (I bolted mine with rubber washers)
7. Remove the old solenoid and ground leads, insulate the ends and loop them back out of the way.
8. Install the new Positive & Negative leads and tie off.

Finally put modeling clay on any high spots and install your seat to check for clearance. I did this with an 06 Monoposto, and it just fits. Someone will have to test it with a two-seater..

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

·
That cost how much?
398 Posts
Very nice!

I just bought the kit yesterday from Mike and can't wait to install. Yours looks great.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Madlag,

Won’t know about how it starts for another month or so… I have the cam pulleys and tensioners off for a lightening & beatification project, the good news is the parts just came back from finishing and I can start putting it back together.

The bike sure looks light and cool without the battery box.

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Regarding, will it start?

My LFX14 starts the bike with no trouble at all on warm days, but after a cold night (less than 50f or 10c) it really struggles, and won't get the bike going until load has warmed it up. This can take ten minutes of messing about and feathering the throttle - probably not great for the bike either, as it then pops an bangs into life.

If you live somewhere warm all year round, then stick with the LFX14, or, if you can whip the battery out overnight then no problem, and with a removeable seat plus those anderson connectors, it should take less time that taking your helmet and gloves off... Top marks to Motolectric.

If I lived in the US, and didn't have to wait for 30+ days for overseas purchases, and the pay shipping plus 20% import duty, I'd buy Micheal's kit now, but in the meanwhile, I've taken the easy route - of more amp hours and a bigger unit, - so for now I have the LFX18 installed (which also fits fine) - as London is cold right now, and it only cost me an extra $30 and took 24 hours to arrive.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I been considering the LifePo battery option for a while now and like the quick disconnect idea but would like to leave a secondary battery in place to run the clock, immobilizer, alarm etc. The problem is finding a secondary battery that is small enough to fit underseat with the main battery. I think this would be especially handy for multi-day rides.

·
Vendor
457 Posts
The problem is finding a secondary battery that is small enough to fit underseat with the main battery.
I'm investigating that right now.

Should have some info in a few days.

HTH

·
Registered
203 Posts
Could you please give me the correct meassures. If I goto their site, both the european and the .com site. The meassures, shown on both the LFX14A1-BS12 and the LFX18A1-BS12. Are exact the same size as the original YT12B-BS Lead batteri.

So looking at your pictures, I cannot find out how the h*ll you can fit that into that tray.

·
Vendor
457 Posts
Could you please give me the correct meassures. If I goto their site, both the european and the .com site. The meassures, shown on both the LFX14A1-BS12 and the LFX18A1-BS12. Are exact the same size as the original YT12B-BS Lead batteri.

So looking at your pictures, I cannot find out how the h*ll you can fit that into that tray.
You seem to have receive some erroneous info from somewhere

(from Yuasa)

Battery Family: Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YT12B-BS
Voltage: 12
Capacity: 10
Dimensions: 6" x 2.75" x 5.125"

Shorai LFX14A2-BS12

is a smaller case (same electrical capacity as the A1 case)

Dimensions: 4.45" x 2.28" x 3.5"

HTH

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lars,
If you have never seen a Shorai LiFePO4 LFX14A2-BS12 battery, they are crazy small and light!
ShoraiUsa - LFX14A2-BS12

Madlag,
The battery tray is a rapid prototype part I designed and had built. I can send you the cad file if you want but adhesive backed Velcro woks just as well….

Cheers
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lfx18a2-bs12

Lars,
If you have never seen a Shorai LiFePO4 LFX14A2-BS12 battery, they are crazy small and light!
ShoraiUsa - LFX14A2-BS12

Madlag,
The battery tray is a rapid prototype part I designed and had built. I can send you the cad file if you want but adhesive backed Velcro woks just as well….

Cheers
Lee
I istalled the LFX18 (18 Ah) last summer. It have worked perfect, have more start power and the weight differnce is small against the 14 Ah version.

H Redgert

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
I istalled the LFX18 (18 Ah) last summer. It have worked perfect, have more start power and the weight differnce is small against the 14 Ah version.

H Redgert
Any pictures? Was it on a mono or biposto?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shorai

Any pictures? Was it on a mono or biposto?
It's a mono 2006. Have no actual pictures when mounted, it's much smaller than the original. Mounted in the original battery box using space material included in the delivery of the shorai. Also bought the battery tender, used during the winter season.

:)

·
Vendor
457 Posts
It's a mono 2006. Have no actual pictures when mounted, it's much smaller than the original. Mounted in the original battery box using space material included in the delivery of the shorai. Also bought the battery tender, used during the winter season.

:)
Okay, that's where the confusion about LiFePO4 battery capacity (14AH vs. 18AH) has sprung.

This thread is about mounting the battery under the seat.

You put the 18AH in the OEM battery box.

It fits fine there but based on a mockup that Lee did, the extra 8 mm in battery case width would hit on the underside of the seat (since the battery is laid on its side the width becomes a vertical clearance issue).

HTH

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I had a 18ah Shorai installed under the seat on my mono 06 sport 1000.
It fit fine with a regulator relocation kit and a cable extention.
Starts a little slow when it is below 30 degrees outside but it always starts the bike with out fail.

-M

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
If this helps avoid confusion...

LFX14(Case size 2) vs LFX18 (Case size 1)

I think I could get the OEM set on with the 18 fitted, but I need to move the ECU to the Reg/Rec mounting holes, and even more likely if I trim the underside plastic bracing of the seat base down a few mm.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I could get the OEM set on with the 18 fitted, but I need to move the ECU to the Reg/Rec mounting holes, and even more likely if I trim the underside plastic bracing of the seat base down a few mm.
Gentlemen, a couple of things to consider.

On the Monoposto bikes only - larger batteries can be fit by moving the ECU forward and putting the battery in the back under the tool kit. There are plenty of threads out there on that solution.

At 2.28" thick, the Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 mounted in the forward position comes within 0.1" of the underside of the seat (someone will have to check if this is the same on a Biposto). All other Shorai batteries are too thick for forward mounting and will hit the stock seat.

I am hoping this can be a universal installation for us weekend warriors. Daily commuters should consider a larger battery for cold mornings. The rest of us should be able to pull the battery out and warm it up for rides on cold mornings.

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts