Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
06 999R RAD02, 06 999R, 06 999.
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I'm considering making a change to the exhaust on the Radical so I'm looking for some inspiration and suggestions from you guys. What kind of exhaust would you put on? Do you think I should even change it or do you like the current one?

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
470 Posts
That tail would look wrong with twin pipes under it.
An EX box would look wrong on it (my opinion).
You might go for the single under the tail and one exiting in front of the rear wheel under the engine but balancing the pipe lengths (backpressure) might kill that idea.
I'd probably just polish the present system and call it quits.
It does look nice now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
That tail would look wrong with twin pipes under it.
An EX box would look wrong on it (my opinion).
You might go for the single under the tail and one exiting in front of the rear wheel under the engine but balancing the pipe lengths (backpressure) might kill that idea.
I'd probably just polish the present system and call it quits.
It does look nice now.
Been considering checking what Racefit can throw together for me maybe. I want to keep the style I think, but maybe a carbon or titanium slipon would do some wonders.

Something along the lines of this could maybe be an option.

Open for suggestions and really just inspiration.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Anyway. Had to do some digging for the origin of some rogue under the bike and had a little oopsie when disconnecting the battery. Negative pole straight up fell off when I moved the battery and that old connection was some old school italian electronics mastercraft. Have been planning on redoing my Radicals entire electronics but I guess this bike just leapfrogged all the others for that fix. 😅 Old rat nests from 15 years of patch jones makes me a bit uneasy so that will probably be my next point of attack.

Man, how did I go from planning on replacing the belts on my 999 to having two additional 999R's with massive need for work to get them up to what I expect them to be. 😂

·
Registered
470 Posts
Man, how did I go from planning on replacing the belts on my 999 to having two additional 999R's with massive need for work to get them up to what I expect them to be.
Some toys just get their hooks into you.
There's heaps addictions that are unhealthier than 999s.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I kinda like the current set up on the RAD. If anything, I would look for other options for the muffler, for purely aesthetic reasons, just to see how they look.
If you were to put something similar to Panigale or the V4 Streetfighter, you would end up with a huge muffler under the engine which would not look good, IMO. A muffler on one or both sides of the swingarm would also ruin the nice clean view of the rear wheel. Maybe even result in more maintenance work, dunno?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I kinda like the current set up on the RAD. If anything, I would look for other options for the muffler, for purely aesthetic reasons, just to see how they look.
If you were to put something similar to Panigale or the V4 Streetfighter, you would end up with a huge muffler under the engine which would not look good, IMO. A muffler on one or both sides of the swingarm would also ruin the nice clean view of the rear wheel. Maybe even result in more maintenance work, dunno?
Completely agree. Just to specify for everyone, I'm looking to keep the style of exhaust, I just want a can that looks a bit more premium and special. I'll post up some examples if I come over anything interesting but the exhaust will 100% be under the rear like it is now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The can that is on there now looks like the metal cased DP (oval) on my S4 but with the outlet turned 90°.
I'm not sure if they actually DPs on mine
20210303_224903.jpg
or if the termi sticker is correct as there doesn't appear to be anything stamped into them.
I don't think a round cased can would look as neat on your bike and it might be hard to find an oval can with the outlet facing the way you need.
Maybe put that end cap on a carbon termi if you can find one the right size?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
The can that is on there now looks like the metal cased DP (oval) on my S4 but with the outlet turned 90°.
I'm not sure if they actually DPs on mine View attachment 1003234 or if the termi sticker is correct as there doesn't appear to be anything stamped into them.
I don't think a round cased can would look as neat on your bike and it might be hard to find an oval can with the outlet facing the way you need.
Maybe put that end cap on a carbon termi if you can find one the right size?
Yes, I'm currently considering hitting up Racefit to check if they would be intersted in building me something. Really like the quality and look of their products.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
In true race bike fashion the harness is more in the state of "well it works" than anything else. Will be re-doing the whole thing going forward so hopefully it will go from "that works?" to "wow, why the hell did you spend that much time on money on some wires" when done. Trying to decide if I'm gonna be dumb enough to go the route of Staubli 8STA and the likes. Have to do some research about prices and availability but that's the ultimate goal for now. If anyone got any tips and insights I'm all ears. Will be my first try at making a harness so all sources of information is valued here.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
506 Posts
In true race bike fashion the harness is more in the state of "well it works" than anything else. Will be re-doing the whole thing going forward so hopefully it will go from "that works?" to "wow, why the hell did you spend that much time on money on some wires" when done. Trying to decide if I'm gonna be dumb enough to go the route of Staubli 8STA and the likes. Have to do some research about prices and availability but that's the ultimate goal for now. If anyone got any tips and insights I'm all ears. Will be my first try at making a harness so all sources of information is valued here.

View attachment 1003497

View attachment 1003498

View attachment 1003499

View attachment 1003500
I bet you could cut out 5 pounds cleaning up that wiring 👌🏼

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I bet you could cut out 5 pounds cleaning up that wiring 👌🏼
Not unlikely. 😂 Always gets interesting with old Italian wiring and adding moderne electronics. I'm honestly a bit amazed it works flawlessly as is. Almost so you don't want to touch anything in fear of breaking it. 😅 Speaking from experience. Negative terminal stayed on the battery I removed from my other 999R the other day with the wire still on the bike. 😂 So yes, that bike will have to get a fully remade harness also. Oh, the joy of old wiring.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Also, FYI I saw a 999 for 5k somewhere in the northeast. Figured you could definitely use a new one. It’s been what, like two weeks since you’ve bought one?
I honestly think it’s time for you to pick up another, but this is coming from a guy who still thinks he can build a 1260 engine when all the information points to the contrary 🤓

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Also, FYI I saw a 999 for 5k somewhere in the northeast. Figured you could definitely use a new one. It’s been what, like two weeks since you’ve bought one?
I honestly think it’s time for you to pick up another, but this is coming from a guy who still thinks he can build a 1260 engine when all the information points to the contrary 🤓
Cheapest one for sale in Norway atm is 9.9k USD. 😜 I did some inventory and found it cheaper to just buy the parts I miss to build a 4th bike from my spare parts. 😂
Might be a fun project also. 🤔

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cheapest one for sale in Norway atm is 9.9k USD. 😜 I did some inventory and found it cheaper to just buy the parts I miss to build a 4th bike from my spare parts. 😂
Might be a fun project also. 🤔
Dude I’m literally doing the same. Was gonna switch engines in my streetfighter, but realized I have most of the parts needed to build a whole nother bike. The parts bike frame has no papers, which sucks, but if I ever wanna ride it on the road, a documented frame swap wouldn’t be the worst idea.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Dude I’m literally doing the same. Was gonna switch engines in my streetfighter, but realized I have most of the parts needed to build a whole nother bike. The parts bike frame has no papers, which sucks, but if I ever wanna ride it on the road, a documented frame swap wouldn’t be the worst idea.
Yeah, have a spare frame with no papers myself I was considering doing an RS conversion on for a new build. Who needs spare parts anyway. 😁 Keeping an eye out for engines for it. Still undecided between a 749 or 1198. Guess I'll just see what shows up locally for a while and see where it takes me. 😁

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Haven't been able to do much work on my bikes lately as life has gotten a bit in the way. I'll try to give a quick idea of what my plans are for the RAD02 at the time being at least.

First on the list is changing out the sprocket from the stock 36T to a custom lightweight CeraCarbon 39T 520 sprocket. This drops the weight of the sprocket to just 211 grams.

While doing that I'll also replace the axles with some lightweight ones, both front and rear. A crank saver will also be put on just in case.

Will also be adding some new chain adjusters and lifters. Gilles replica from Iconic for the adjusters and genuine lifters from Gilles.

Will also be relocating the rear caliper with an underslung caliper bracket and a new brakeline. Don't have pictures of those at hand currently but it will be documented during the work.

Will also be adding some electronics to the bike in terms of TC from GripOne along with the DAM2 data logger.
Might as well make a whole new harness while I'm at it to clean up a bit so that will be a fun project and a challenge.
Will be replacing the battery tray with one from 2moto made for a smaller Li-Ion battery. Will ofc replace the VRR with a MOSFET when doing this.

Handlebars will also get cleaned up by removing the stock controls and putting on some track oriented controls.

That's a rough outline of the current plans at least. Now I just need to find the time to start putting the parts on. 😅

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
What crank saver did you get and does it need the smaller sprocket to fit?

101 - 120 of 139 Posts