Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this subs most beautiful 999S, Isabella, has been dismantled I felt the need to provide some new content for the people that loves the 749/999 range.

Lets just start off with this disclaimer. I don't really have much experience in build logs and the likes. I'll do my best and hopefully improve along the way. If not, hopefully the pictures will be enough to enjoy the thread.

I'll try to update along the way but as the bikes are a bit spread out in winter storage at the moment it will mainly be some archived pictures for now.

So, the bikes. Lets start with my 2006 Ducati 999 Nero, Scarlett.
It was my first ever bike, bought in 2017, and the reason I fell in love with Pierre Terblanche's beautifully design superbike. It has IMO aged like fine wine and I my love for the design has only grown since I first set my eyes on one.

The focus in the start will probably most be on this bike from my archive.

My second bike is a 2006 Ducati 999R, Mia. The name is pretty fitting as the bike is still, well, MIA. It had some small issues that the seller arranged to have fixed. Then covid shutdown came and it's still a bit in limbo, but will hopefully be sorted in the near future. So until then, Mia will be a bit of a mystery for you guys but I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

While waiting for Mia, I accidentally bought a third bike on impulse while watching Moto2. The bike came up for sale and I just had to have it, so I jumped in my car and drove down, looked it over quickly and bought it on the spot.
It's a 2006 Ducati 999R with a SSSA conversion, 1098 Öhlins front forks and more. I have yet to find a fitting name for this bike but I'm sure it'll come to me as it has with the others.

So yeah, as you can see, I kind of have a 999 addiction. Hopefully I'm not alone in loving these bikes and I hope someone will find it interesting to follow.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Nice collection.

You might not want to hear this but I would work to get any "R" model back as stock as possible or at minimum gather up the parts to do so in the future. That said I would take the non-stock parts and have great fun with the standard 999 making it whatever you want. These bikes are very cool bikes and even the Terblanche haters have to admit they have aged well , most will secretly tell you they do like them now. in looks and design I would happily take one over a "New Ducati" though some day the new bikes may grow on my as the 999 did with time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice collection.

You might not want to hear this but I would work to get any "R" model back as stock as possible or at minimum gather up the parts to do so in the future. That said I would take the non-stock parts and have great fun with the standard 999 making it whatever you want. These bikes are very cool bikes and even the Terblanche haters have to admit they have aged well , most will secretly tell you they do like them now. in looks and design I would happily take one over a "New Ducati" though some day the new bikes may grow on my as the 999 did with time.
Both 999R's are far from original before purchase and the main reason I went for exactly those bikes. The price was as expected for a non-original bike and the original parts are long gone on both. Making two original R's what I want them to be was out of the question as I don't want to tear mint ones apart so these were just the perfect bikes for me. I would have used the S versions as a base if it wasn't for the fact these were already way past the point of no return. I have always had a personal preference towards custom and making it yours and not keeping it original. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for people liking their bikes original, but it's just not for me.

Small fun fact. The first bike I looked at before buying my Nero was sold with the fairings from my new 999R back in 2017. Small world.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started off with changing the clutch slave cylinder. The stock one is certainly made exclusively for Hafþór Björnsson so it had to go. Opted for a nice red LE Pramac Racing version from CNC Racing. Works like a charm and still love the look of it. The old one was nasty looking and filled with gunk so good to have that sorted.

After that I changed out the cheap Chinese grips with some great looking Rizoma grips. Sadly they were more form than function and while I like the look of it I'd never fit them on anything but a cafe racer for looks. Put on some matching Rizoma bar ends also. Needs some adjusting to line them up perfectly.

Also switched out the stock clutch pressure plate with a better looking red one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike came with old Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires. I hate these tires profile with a passion so they had to go.

Put on some Pirelli Diablo Rosso III and the difference was night and day. When the tires was off I used the opportunity to polish the wheels.

Believe it or not, I actually managed to ride the bike between the work done also. Here's a picture from a pretty neat old gas station in Kongsberg, Norway.

Loving the new tires. Currently debating which ones I'm going to be putting on my 999R that I will post more about later. That bike also had some 2CT tires on it when I got it and that's no bueno.

Shortlist is currently Rosso III, Rosso Corsa and Supercorsa. Leaning towards Rosso Corsa as I will be mainly using the bike on the road with shifting weather. Planning on bringing it to the track as much as possible but things are still a bit uncertain in regards to COVID.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I'm loving that hybrid, yet to be named, R.
It's got a killer exhaust and I love that it's all red without any number plates.
I'd go with the stacked intakes on the nose of the '03/'04 bikes, but that's just me.
I was one of those who took a long time to come around to the looks of the 999, but now, when done correctly, like Isabella, I think they're hot AF!
Anyway, now that Isabella is gone I'm looking forward to following your 999 builds.
On a personal note, I'm pleased this is coming from Norway. My mom grew up in Bergen and I've spent a fair bit of time there and in Geilo where my grandparents had their cabin. Heya Norge!

Oh, big thumbs up for the Rosso Corsa 2s. Fantastic sporting road tire imo

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm loving that hybrid, yet to be named, R.
It's got a killer exhaust and I love that it's all red without any number plates.
I'd go with the stacked intakes on the nose of the '03/'04 bikes, but that's just me.
I was one of those who took a long time to come around to the looks of the 999, but now, when done correctly, like Isabella, I think they're hot AF!
Anyway, now that Isabella is gone I'm looking forward to following your 999 builds.
On a personal note, I'm pleased this is coming from Norway. My mom grew up in Bergen and I've spent a fair bit of time there and in Geilo where my grandparents had their cabin. Heya Norge!

Oh, big thumbs up for the Rosso Corsa 2s. Fantastic sporting road tire imo
Thank you for the kind words. Happy you will follow the content now that Isabella is gone. I'm already looking forward to jusutus next Hypermotard project. I'm sure it will be at the same level or beyond. The content will mainly be of the yet to be named R and Mia, the bike that hasn't been revealed yet. Scarlett is mainly archived photos and the start of my journey so I thought that would be a good place to start out.

Cool to hear you've got some Norwegian heritage and have visited us here! Geilo in the winter is absolutely awesome if you like to ski/snowboard! 😍

I'll put down one vote for the Rosso Corsa 2s then. 👍

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't really like the stock 36T sprocket when repeatedly getting stuck in traffic as I live in the city so decided to switch it out with a 42T Supersprox and a new chain.

Also decided to get rid of some of the stock plastics and add some more carbon.

Finished most of the easy aesthetic mods now so next post will involve upgrading some of the most costly components.

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
237 Posts
Beautiful bikes! If you don’t mind me asking, what is that container of red fluid (oil?) above the clutch slave?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beautiful bikes! If you don’t mind me asking, what is that container of red fluid (oil?) above the clutch slave?
Thank you! It's a Scottoiler that automatically lubes the chain while you ride. Do not recommend it at all. Was fitted on the bike by the previous owner and it's an oily mess. Been planning on removing it actually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I will very much enjoy following your posts. I have 2002 998, but it was seeing and hearing a 999 in person that really made me want to own a Ducati.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
237 Posts
I'm sure the tires are great if you like the shape. I personally don't enjoy the V shape and quick turn in. 100% personal preference and not a dig at the quality of the tire itself.
Who thought it was a good idea to use red chain lube?! Can’t imagine the mess 😣

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Who thought it was a good idea to use red chain lube?! Can’t imagine the mess 😣
Right?! I get using it on touring bikes if you ride a lot but on a superbike? 😅
The underside of my exhaust looks like the aftermath of Deepwater Horizon.

Finally decided on a name for the latest addition to the garage also while giving it a quick wash earlier today, Riley.

Can't wait to start digging into getting this bike sorted just to my liking!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts