Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
432 Posts
Not much have happened the last month due to a death in the immediate family but I will hopefully get back to it very soon.

I will be taking delivery of the Radical Ducati on Tuesday so can hardly wait for that! I've continues stocking up some various parts and have put together a plan for how I want to go forward with these builds.

While making room for the latest addition to the garage yesterday I got an email from GripOne about a newly released part so currently trying to argue myself out of getting one to test out. I'm a sucker for electronics and really interested in seing how well this works. Considering his expertise in MotoGP I'm inclined to giving it a go. Anyone else tempted?

GripOne E-Suspension.
Nope. I think you'd want to be a very very good rider to be considering this sort of thing, someone who is pushing the bike close to the limit and able to tell if it is actually making the bike better or worse. There's an old saying "just 'cos you've spent a lot of money doesn't mean you haven't bought a lemon" which equally applies to building as much as buying. And if you are cruising around in Group 2 'cos you are worried about crashing your expensive bike it kinda defeats the purpose of supposedly making the bike better, doesn't it?

It's just one more complication you don't need. Funny, some of my most enjoyable track days are the less complicated ones: I've a couple of race bikes but when they are out of action (hey, Ducati's...) I just rock up on my old roadie '06 R1 (Lil' Miss Reliable) and rip it with absolutely no expectation, no fiddling, just accepting it is what it is instead of fiddling and farting around trying to improve this or that. So I'm all for less complication not more, just enjoy the day and wrench in the shed, it's a shit time trying to combine the two.

·
Registered
06 999R RAD02, 06 999R, 06 999.
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Nope. I think you'd want to be a very very good rider to be considering this sort of thing, someone who is pushing the bike close to the limit and able to tell if it is actually making the bike better or worse. There's an old saying "just 'cos you've spent a lot of money doesn't mean you haven't bought a lemon" which equally applies to building as much as buying. And if you are cruising around in Group 2 'cos you are worried about crashing your expensive bike it kinda defeats the purpose of supposedly making the bike better, doesn't it?

It's just one more complication you don't need. Funny, some of my most enjoyable track days are the less complicated ones: I've a couple of race bikes but when they are out of action (hey, Ducati's...) I just rock up on my old roadie '06 R1 (Lil' Miss Reliable) and rip it with absolutely no expectation, no fiddling, just accepting it is what it is instead of fiddling and farting around trying to improve this or that. So I'm all for less complication not more, just enjoy the day and wrench in the shed, it's a shit time trying to combine the two.
Oh, you're completely right, I'm not even close to being at a level where something like this is even needed. I just want it because I'm a tech nerd that loves those kinds of things. 😂 Trying to talk myself out of getting it because there's absolutely no reason to actually getting it for me other than just for the joy of nerding out with it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Mia arrived today and it's just as amazing as last time I saw it. I'll go and take some additional pictures tomorrow and if you're lucky I'll fire it up also. 😁

Roommate with Scarlett for now. 😎

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Mia is such a damn cool bike !
There's a lot of nice hardware around here, and usually I do a pretty good job of keeping envy at bay, but this bike is just so cool and unique that I can't help but feel a tinge of ol' envy
Anyway, that's one hell of a score there alphaoctane

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Mia is such a damn cool bike !
There's a lot of nice hardware around here, and usually I do a pretty good job of keeping envy at bay, but this bike is just so cool and unique that I can't help but feel a tinge of ol' envy
Anyway, that's one hell of a score there alphaoctane
Thank you! It's a really special one. Feel pretty lucky getting the opportunity to add it to my stable. Have some additional parts ready to go on it but there's just so much one can do to something like that. Plan is putting in on another small diet, not that there's much weight left to drop, and clean up some small details.

Note the absolutely beautiful bear curtains. Repurposed old dollhouse for the winter to keep them warm as the garage is currently unheated. 😂

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Did a small startup just for the hell of it. Not really an optimal space to run it so didn't get to warm it up properly for some more revs but at least it's starting. 😏

Startup!
Wow... first of all, that sounds amazing. Second of all, your significant other must be a saint, because on the rare occasions that I have fired one of my bikes up in my office, mine loses her mind... :oops:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Wow... first of all, that sounds amazing. Second of all, your significant other must be a saint, because on the rare occasions that I have fired one of my bikes up in my office, mine loses her mind... :oops:
Pretty happy with the sound. Been debating changing out the exhaust to something a bit more, I don't know really. It just looks a bit plain and boring to me but I have to agree the sound is great.

No significant other to annoy luckily so no worries there, although I could use one to stop me from purchasing new bikes sometimes. 😅 It's stored in an old repurposed "doll house" on the lawn (well, classifying it as that was never really accurate) that's insulated and heated. That's why it's got such awesome curtains. 😂

Have to say I'm having a really hard time deciding which bike to work on first as I have so many plans and parts for both the 999R's. I really need to finish prepping the 999 for sale also but finding it hard to spend my time working on the "most boring" of them. 😅

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Very cool bike!
Love the looks and sound it is nicely done.

I also love the look of the frame but would worry that as a track bike it would not be stiff enough, usually when you use aluminum in replacement for steel you need to increase the size to retain the strength and it looks oem to me. Kawasaki found this out on the 600 back in the 80's when they made a R version with aluminum frame in the same dimensions as their steel frame and it was known for being more flexy. The other aluminum frames like Over racing and the VEEtwo used much larger tubes .

Then again it might be fine you will get to find out. I would absolutely wire it up with lights for the street as I would bet it is much more appreciated as a street bike where demands are not as tough and more people get to look at it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Very cool bike!
Love the looks and sound it is nicely done.

I also love the look of the frame but would worry that as a track bike it would not be stiff enough, usually when you use aluminum in replacement for steel you need to increase the size to retain the strength and it looks oem to me. Kawasaki found this out on the 600 back in the 80's when they made a R version with aluminum frame in the same dimensions as their steel frame and it was known for being more flexy. The other aluminum frames like Over racing and the VEEtwo used much larger tubes .

Then again it might be fine you will get to find out. I would absolutely wire it up with lights for the street as I would bet it is much more appreciated as a street bike where demands are not as tough and more people get to look at it.
Previous owner was a professional racer and judging by the tire wear it was put to the test thoroughly. :) It's absolutely a valid point though and something I will keep in mind. To be honest my skill level is probably way to low currently to maximize the stress on that frame so I'm not worried about it for now.

Have been playing with the thought of making it street legal myself so that's definitely an option. Not sure if I can get the frame registered on the street though.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Look in your country's registrations for how people build customs and choppers. In the US there are specific inspections you can do to show road worthiness and if it passes they apply a legit new VIN to the frame. Option 2 I have seen is affixing a badge with the VIN from a donor bike of the same year, much more sketchy and might not be legit where you are.

On frame stiffness keep in mind a 748-998 frame flexes enough that track versions WILL crack a plastic airbox pretty regularly. Expect flex so simply keep an eye on things aluminum flexes with a shorter cyclic life than steel. If you do get flex consider stiffening things up with carbon fiber , 748-998 with carbon airboxes do not usually break airboxes so a correct carbon support system could stiffen and protect the chassis. That bike would not suffer from a bit of carbon fiber so IF it is a problem Look at existing pieces that might stiffen if they were carbon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Look in your country's registrations for how people build customs and choppers. In the US there are specific inspections you can do to show road worthiness and if it passes they apply a legit new VIN to the frame. Option 2 I have seen is affixing a badge with the VIN from a donor bike of the same year, much more sketchy and might not be legit where you are.

On frame stiffness keep in mind a 748-998 frame flexes enough that track versions WILL crack a plastic airbox pretty regularly. Expect flex so simply keep an eye on things aluminum flexes with a shorter cyclic life than steel. If you do get flex consider stiffening things up with carbon fiber , 748-998 with carbon airboxes do not usually break airboxes so a correct carbon support system could stiffen and protect the chassis. That bike would not suffer from a bit of carbon fiber so IF it is a problem Look at existing pieces that might stiffen if they were carbon.
Yeah, have been looking into registering it as an "amateur build". Thank you for the tips, will for sure keep an eye on those things. Planning on tearing down a lot of the bike for some upgrades so I will give everything a good looking over at the same time! Any tips on signs besides cracks in the airbox to look out for? :)

Have been considering sending the frame out to get RS braces welded onto it also.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Very true but misses the point of you want the cabon to brace the frame. Clearly does not need to be the airbox anything that has a mount to the frame is a potential carbon brace point. Based on how the earlier frames broke the airbox I assume it is a twisting action. I am not familiar how the RS braces run but boxing the frame to prevent twist is what you are likely looking for.

That said in a traditional frame setup a bit of flex may be fine or even good but flex is almost always bad for aluminum long term. Again may not be a issue but something to keep an eye on. If the frame is off then I might take the opportunity to get it checked for cracks before re-installing, there should be kits to make it a easy test.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts