Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

2019 950 Stalling issues

58183 Views 287 Replies 55 Participants Last post by  STLHyper950sp
So, I got the bike back from my dealer with an "update." The bike now stalls frequently. If you pull in the clutch when the revs are above say 4-5k the engine just stalls. The only way to keep it stalling coming to a light is to let the revs drop really low before you pull in the clutch. Obviously, this is totally unacceptable, as it stalled about 5-6 times on me yesterday and then gave me a hard time restarting each time. Also, when I stopped for fuel it gave me a hard time restarting. Is anyone else experiencing this. The dealer is getting a call today. Surprisingly, they are actually open on Mondays.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
688 Posts
That really is aggravating. Ducati will fix it, but it takes longer than you would like.

I hope you have another bike to ride. That seems to be a requirement with these bikes. If you really enjoy riding, have at least two bikes. When they break, it can be down for a while.

Best of luck.

· Registered
688 Posts
The bike does seem to idle too low on mine as well. I get the occasional start into a too low idle then a stall within 30 seconds, and only once while riding and pulling in the clutch. Not chronic.

· Registered
688 Posts
The bike does seem to idle too low on mine as well. I get the occasional start into a too low idle then a stall within 30 seconds, and only once while riding and pulling in the clutch. Not chronic.
Had my bike in the shop to take care of the battery lead recall, update the computer for the tire calibration failures, and deal with the low idle hard to start issues.

All is fixed now. Starts right up, idles faster, no stalling.

My service dept said ducati is aware of the hard start/stall issues and it is fixable. If you have it, talk to your dealer and get it fixed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCSB-19V780-9182.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168791-0001.pdf

· Registered
688 Posts

No mention of a "known issue" or TSB (though, I do a similar job and that's normal, til we're sure what the root cause is). My bike lives outside in the cold/mountains and there was some concern of condensation / corrosion on the MAP sensor, though that wasn't conclusive by the time i left - they had it running and were logging diagnostic data for the mothership.

Interesting information. Sorry for your frustrating tale.

My service guy said they cleaned some gunk from the throttle body which was there from the factory. Others in this thread have reported same explanation from their service shops, and the idle is faster than it was. before the service, so something was done.

Puzzled that Ducati rep said there was no known issue, unless he was spinning for damage control.

They must have ruled out the anti-corrosive gunk causing some throttle body sticking, correct?

· Registered
688 Posts
I found this forum while searching out this same problem. My Hyper 950 is 1 year old and currently is at the dealers for the third time for constant stalling issues, it started at about 600 miles just randomly when I'd roll off the throttle and pull the clutch when coming up to stops. Took it in for the first tune/check up and mentioned that it occasionally dies when pulling the clutch, they looked into it and found the plugs were fouled up so they replaced them and the bike rode great for about another 600 miles and the problem came back even worse. Second time I brought it in they tore into it further and found a bunch of flaked up crap on the intakes (see picture) their first comment was it was the gas I was using!!! Wrong Answer!! there's no way that crap came from the gas. Well they got it all cleaned up and it ran great for about another 3 months, now its back in the shop with the same problem and the same flakes on the intake. I spoke to the service manager yesterday and told him of my findings here and on other forums, and mentioned the anti-corrosion coating possibility and that they should really dig into it and clean everything up stream in the fuel ... ]
You have suffered enough. Reach out to Ducati Corporate and get a complaint going. Your dealer is jerking you around.

· Registered
688 Posts
Just got my 2020 back today, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Dealer says they inspected throttle bodies but didn't find any contamination. They replaced the charcoal canister to resolve the issue. Ducati did cover the repair as "good-will", but say it's not a covered warranty defect and won't cover it again. They believe I overfilled the tank causing fuel to enter the charcoal canister. I'm pretty careful during refueling to not go above the plastic tube in the filler neck as shown in the owners manual, but maybe I did overfill it? I'll try to keep the fuel level slightly lower and see how it goes....
Is there any documented cases of Hypermotards not running well due to charcoal canister contamination? If not, find a new dealer. I hate it when dealers turn around a manufacturers problem and blame it on the customer.

Most riders overfill the tank once in a while. It happens.

As mentioned above, Ducat is well aware of this issue and issued a documented fix.

· Registered
688 Posts
Got mine back a couple of weeks ago. (19' Hyper) Cleaned the throttle bodies and replaced the fuel cell, bike runs perfect now. They mentioned the canister as well but that was not it.

Questions, sorry.

What do you mean by fuel cell? The tank? What was wrong with it?

What did they say about the canister? They replaced it?

· Registered
688 Posts
So I have roughly 8.3k on the bike. I had the issue prior to the start of this season (so around 4.6k), it was repaired by the dealer over the winter, and I have not had any issues since. The anticorrosion material getting on the throttle bodies was described as the culprit. However, my last 2 rides (this past sunday and yesterday), I had a few initial cold start stalls. Bike was warming up on the driveway, registering temperature albeit not fully warmed up (122 degrees I want to say), I gave a quick blip and the engine cut out. That has not happened since the "fix" so for over 4k miles. Perhaps just a few isolated cold stalls but that was the main presenting symptom last time around...

FYI charcoal cannister has been completely removed. I don't mess with those things as they've been reported to be the root of a lot of issues (i.e.: sucking in gas tanks etc). So that's no longer a factor.

Is there an official issue with the gas tanks or that just a rumor?
No stalling even when cold since the fix and I do occasionally overfill the tank with the charcoal canister in place. 10.5 K miles now.

I think you indicated that you use HVMC's Steve Saucier to service your bike. What does he say?

· Registered
688 Posts
Yep- I had the same issues from the tank. Gotta wonder what this material is doing to the engine internally as it gets into the cylinder. Ducati tried to deny these issues... Now they have their hands full with an FBI raid for who knows? Good luck with your bike...
My bike is at the dealer getting some work done, and I asked them to look into the periodic stalling issues. Got an update that they have had a bunch of bikes with similar issues, and they said they have worked on three this week including mine. They sent me these pictures today saying mine was the worst of the three: View attachment 1000440 View attachment 1000441 View attachment 1000442 View attachment 1000443

The pictures above are anticorrosion coating of the throttle bodies that were causing stalling. Ducati covered the fix under warranty. This is not a fuel tank issue.

I spoke with my Ducati dealer who has always been able to get warranty work approved by Ducati and he says that his shop has not changed a single fuel tank.

If anyone has had tank issues, documentaion of the problem in some form from the dealer would be helpful to clear up the issue.

· Registered
688 Posts
Had mine to the dealer 3 times for the exact same issue. Last time they were coated heavier than ever. Tech advised Ethanol was having an effect on the internal coating of the tank. 3 times with the same issue would certainly not be a coating on the throttle bodies.... Tech advised they had the same issues with numerous bikes including his personal 2020 Hyper...
Excellent info. Thank you. Very odd that only some people are having the issue if it is due to ethanol in the gas.

I have 10K miles on my 2019 hyper and the throttle bodies had the initial cleaning of the anti corrosion agent, and has been fine since. Just changed the air filter and the bodies are still perfectly clean.

Do you have any documentation that you could share, concealing your personal info of course?

Perhaps post a pic of a work order receipt?

Thanks!

· Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for that. Why is your mechanic not bringing this issue up with Ducati Corporate?

Some others in the forums have said their dealer was able to get a fuel tank replacement under warranty?

All very perplexing.

· Registered
688 Posts
He did, and they know... A Ducati North America tech came to the dealership and looked at my bike... This is one of a few issues Ducati NA is having.... The FBI raided their corporate headquarters a couple of weeks ago as well... So, it appears they have a lot on their plate. You should review the lemon laws in your state and act accordingly... Good luck...
So what feedback did your mechanic get from Ducati corporate?

Did your series of cleanings get covered under warranty?

Are you replacing your fuel tank?

If the tank is failing, it would be worth replacing it even if out of pocket rather than ruin the engine.

· Registered
688 Posts
What exactly is the fix. Do they replace the tank with a different one? Do they replace the throttle bodies with different spec ones?
This:

My bike is at the dealer getting some work done, and I asked them to look into the periodic stalling issues. Got an update that they have had a bunch of bikes with similar issues, and they said they have worked on three this week including mine. They sent me these pictures today saying mine was the worst of the three: View attachment 1000440 View attachment 1000441 View attachment 1000442 View attachment 1000443
It would be great to have a record of all of this. I showed this thread to my dealer when I brought it in. They were already aware of the issue this time around, but were not aware of it the year prior when I first mentioned some stalling concerns. The throttle body work was covered under warranty for me. View attachment 1001323

· Registered
688 Posts
If I got it right reading the last attachment the throttle bodies were cleaned along with the rest necessary parts. I have the impression that other owners reported in the past that after the cleaning process the issue re-emerged. the throttle bodies became dirty again. If I am not mistaken the throttle bodies were cleaned but not replaced...nor any other part was replaced. It does not sound like a permanent solution or have I missed smth? Thanks for the update it is very useful.
I have heard only one report of the issue reemerging after a cleaning.

There was one report that speculated the cause to be a fuel tank lining degradation causing the issue but seems to be the only case I saw reported.

I read somewhere that someone had his tank replaced. That seems to be the atypical case.

There are several reports, much more common reports, of people having this stalling issue which was resolved with a cleaning, and did not return after warranty work detailed in the above post.

I had the warranty cleaning service done; almost 10K miles later, no problems.

Hard to know for sure if the issue is coming from the tank coating degrading or from an "anti corrosion" coating on the throttle bodies.

If it was from the tank, it seems that once the initial degradation of whatever it is degrading in the tank gets flushed out, a cleaning of the throttle bodies and injectors fixes it and no further problems reported.

Who knows!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts