Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm stoked. just got my new zeta bars and handguards in. i was kinda under the impression that they would bolt right up. as you can see in the photos, the angle of the bend is off. if you use the extender, it is impossible to get the bolt into the bar end. if you insert the bar end first, it is impossible to bolt on the extender. i am going to attempt to take the curve out of the bar end side using a bench vice and a piece of pipe. just hope it bends enough to work and doesn't snap. how did the rest of you with the zeta setup handle this issue, or did it align properly on your bars?

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Do you have those installed on the correct side? Your second pic with it on the handle bar makes it look as if it will curve in an awkward way.

Oh wait, no. Now I see the logo.

I think you are 70% there. Now that the handle bar end is in place, bend the other end out to fit onto the other mount point and then tighten it all down.

I have NO idea what I'm talking about. Just looking at it and trying to help.

Yeah, instead of "pre" bending it on a bench vice, it looks like it's bendable by hand- at least "positionable" by hand. Pull that fugger out and work that other piece in and it will probably hold itself together pretty well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have those installed on the correct side? Your second pic with it on the handle bar makes it look as if it will curve in an awkward way.

Oh wait, no. Now I see the logo.

I think you are 70% there. Now that the handle bar end is in place, bend the other end out to fit onto the other mount point and then tighten it all down.

I have NO idea what I'm talking about. Just looking at it and trying to help.

Yeah, instead of "pre" bending it on a bench vice, it looks like it's bendable by hand- at least "positionable" by hand. Pull that fugger out and work that other piece in and it will probably hold itself together pretty well.
don't worry. i have no idea either, but i'll give that a try. thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do this all the time fitting guards to woods bikes with different mounts and fixing bent guards. Just take your time and use heat, a MAPP torch works best but propane is OK. I never worked with Zetas but I've had some cheap guards snap, thats why I use heat. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be able to mount.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I do this all the time fitting guards to woods bikes with different mounts and fixing bent guards. Just take your time and use heat, a MAPP torch works best but propane is OK. I never worked with Zetas but I've had some cheap guards snap, thats why I use heat. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be able to mount.
My one friend feels this way about women! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Careful though. Once formed into it's shape, aluminum doesn't like to be re-bent.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Put the handlebar in first and adjust the other end to compensate. I had to very slightly "encourage" mine together but it wasn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Mine worked, but I run my clutch and brake controls at a downward angle and the zetas go over the top of them a tad by the adjuster part is on the lever.... I also had to put a piece of plastic in the clamp where the bar gets fatter because this clamp is made for bars that get fatter sooner.... The normal 'straight out' angle of the levers is ridiculous anyway so to make the zetas work you will have to angle your levers down...

·
Registered
284 Posts

It is tight and they will be a little bit off line but not too noticable. I thought about trying to bend but as said before was worried about them snapping. Good luck with the fitment

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have to replace the hand grips ?
no. the throttle assembly stays together and simply slides on to the new bars. actually, the bar slides into it, so don't mount the bars until you slide them through the throttle tube. the clutch side comes right off with a little compressed air forced between it and the bar. it installs very easily the same way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!!!

what i finally ended up doing was inserting the bar end in first and then just gorilla pulled on the hand-guard until i had it out far enough to bolt it up. if this hadn't worked, i was going to use the torch and bend approach.

the clutch sid was not nearly as difficult as the throttle side. don't know why there would be any difference :think:

it's tight, but seems to work fine and the throttle doesn't bind or anything, so i think i'm o.k.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!!!

what i finally ended up doing was inserting the bar end in first and then just gorilla pulled on the hand-guard until i had it out far enough to bolt it up. if this hadn't worked, i was going to use the torch and bend approach.

the clutch sid was not nearly as difficult as the throttle side. don't know why there would be any difference :think:

it's tight, but seems to work fine and the throttle doesn't bind or anything, so i think i'm o.k.
When you asked me by private message, I completly forgot to let you know to insert the bar ends first and pull back the front.

I am lucky to always have the help of the usual suspects like Peter, Bill, John, Jim, Neil & all for all projects, it takes a lot of coffee, pizza, and beer and then I often forget how we did it :eek:

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I'm a little worried about this "gorilla" approach, because I use it in other facets of life and it gets me a 50/50 success rate. Seems like a huge angle to bend, but I will take a pic when it is all done. here goes nothin' :eek:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
OK, I did have some install issues, the aluminum handguard bar did not fit the handlebars well, the bar is designed to fit the "short" front clamp for dirt bikes, but since we have the masters on both levers we have to run the optional longer front bar clamps, there lies the problem, the angle of the handguard bar is all wrong for a clean install, putting to much stress on the bar end mount with a ugly angle, so what did I do? I found a tree in my front yard put the handguard bar in the crotch of a thick tree branch and bent it! just like a real *******! :D I "opened" it up so the longer front clamp will now fit. I knew bending it wasn't going to be a problem because the handguard bar is made from semi soft "malleable aluminum" and now the handguard bar fits well on the handlebar, like it should.
I also had to remove & reinstall my Fabbri windshield to install the front bar clamps, and just like (typhon) said, I had to put tape under the switchgear to help it tighten on the handlebar, the LED lights went in fine with NO filing, and are only half as bright as stock as they are small, and because of my Slick50 rear LEDs my turn signals now blink too fast. But in the end, after the 2 1/2 Hr pain in the butt ordeal, it turned out nice & I like it. Aloha Alex

PS: a side benefit of the bar conversion is that because of being able to move my controls around, (no locating tits) I can get my conventional mirrors out farther and I can see behind me better than ever before!:)
hope this helps Aloha Alex

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
one last point

I forgot to mention: the metal connectors that fit on the inside of bar (opposite of the bars) have a circumference that is too big for the stock bar. Even after I bend the bars to get them to fit, the inside part just bangs around on the bar as it sits very loose.

How did you guys fix that? Tape like Alex mentioned? That seems like such a poor fix (no offense). If I had known how badly these zeta bars didn't fit, I would not have ordered them for the bike... sorry to be negative, just how I feel about it.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I forgot to mention: the metal connectors that fit on the inside of bar (opposite of the bars) have a circumference that is too big for the stock bar. Even after I bend the bars to get them to fit, the inside part just bangs around on the bar as it sits very loose.

How did you guys fix that? Tape like Alex mentioned? That seems like such a poor fix (no offense). If I had known how badly these zeta bars didn't fit, I would not have ordered them for the bike... sorry to be negative, just how I feel about it.
More important than the handguards, the entire point was to replace the stock bars which is real crap, the bars are your best bike protection, and it is really inexpensive, why did you want to keep the crap stock bar:think:

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Had no idea the stock handlebar was crap... I'll have to go back through the thread to see what others are saying. are you saying that in an accident the stock one would bend or not protect the bike as much as the aftermarket one? are they made of different metal or something?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Had no idea the stock handlebar was crap... I'll have to go back through the thread to see what others are saying. are you saying that in an accident the stock one would bend or not protect the bike as much as the aftermarket one? are they made of different metal or something?
Hi Alexio,

The bars will not bend, they will most likely break and damage your bike. It is a dual problem #1 the cheap material they used, and #2 the holes to position the controls. Do a search on the forum, a must do mod to protect the bike, more important than sliders and all...

Cheers on the swiss cheese bars, Christian.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Totally Stoaked!!

Hey great info gents! Got off the phone a few hours ago with Forrest Green and my 'package deal' is on the way!!!!! I talked to him bout the concerns listed here regarding the stock bars. He said they probably aren't like the standard pro taper style dirt bike bars. I can't wait man - pro tapers, red guards, carbon deflectors and smoke lenses!! Thanks again for all references to him ya'll.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts