Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking my valves it seems I have zero clearance at TDC on my intake valves. How can this be? This would mean at compression and spark I would have flames going up my intake right? Wouldn't I notice this? Loss of serious power, compression, etc? This is a 02 748 with 3200 miles... never raced!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is the first service and yes, openers... not yet checked closers because at this point it looks the heads need to come off right?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just figured it out... the cam was not at TDC... factory marks on the cam pulleys are wayyyyy off... so when I took measurements at TDC relative at the piston position, not cam marks... I got acceptable clearances... now a whole new can of worms just opened!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
You can't measure clearances properly without being able to wiggle the cam's. The cam's arn't marked incorrectly, thats 100% incorrect. You need to take the belts off to do the valve clearance check properly, forget TDC. If you get a book, it will be explained in detail.
+1
You'll actually find the the base circles are not exactly round either. The method for setting clearances is to insert the feeler gage and then rotate the cam about 90 degrees each side of zero degrees, and set for the tight spot......
Both openers and closers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts