Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much decided to change my 2:1 Termi exhaust and go with the Zards for my PS. Just love the looks! Motowheels has very competitive pricing on these and has assured me a system with no defects will arrive at my doorstep.
I must decide between the "homologated"and "non-homologated"exhaust and really confess to not knowing the difference:confused:.
Is it just a baffled and unbaffled version of the same exhaust?
Will one or the other cause me to re-flash the performance ECU that was installed with my Termis?
BTW my Termis are unbaffled, so will the unbaffled Zards have comparable decibel levels with these?
Any help will be highly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The baffles are removable.
Unbaffled the Zards are similar to unbaffled Termis.
Your tuning will be about the same if you stay unbaffled. We've kept the DP ECU tuning on several ZARD conversions. I kept the DP ECU on my 06 sport Classic until I went with an open airbox.

If you want just a little more quiet - You can modify the baffles for more sound as well by drilling more holes, making the holes bigger or cutting off the ends.

You can make exhaust louder by wrapping the perforated pipe inside the canister with
THERMO-TEC Exhaust Insulating Wrap: Copper 2".
The more you wrap inside, the louder it gets.

-M

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moto. So, if I understand correctly you suggest buying the homologated exhaust and then removing the baffles? If at some point in the future I want to reduce noise I can re-install the baffles. Right? I like the sound of my unbaffled Termis. I don't really want it any louder.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
In your case, I would buy what ever is available since you really don't intend to use the baffles. An unbaffled set would save you the time and trouble of removing baffles. I don't remember if mine were riveted in or held in place with a bolt.

On the other hand- baffles will give you the ability to reduce the sound of your exhaust if you need to in the future.

But either way--we can always get baffles for in the future if you need them.

-M

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi M,
That's contradictory from what Brian at Motowheels wrote me. He said you can't retrofit baffles into a racing exhaust so I went ahead and ordered the street version Zards from you yesterday and will have to go through the trouble of removing the baffles. Perhaps you guys can remove them for me before forwarding the exhaust. What gives?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Hi M,
That's contradictory from what Brian at Motowheels wrote me. He said you can't retrofit baffles into a racing exhaust so I went ahead and ordered the street version Zards from you yesterday and will have to go through the trouble of removing the baffles. Perhaps you guys can remove them for me before forwarding the exhaust. What gives?
Brain knows what configuration ZARD is currently shipping more than I do.

I had a race system originally in 07 and then purchased an omolagated titanium version with baffles a few years later. Matt removed the baffles before he installed them.

ZARD offered optional baffles in 07 for the race version - but I assume that you had to drill holes in the cans to mount them since there were no provisions for the baffles. It is doable but not "LEGO kit" do able.

Now most other exhaust companies make them removable with just an allen nut. I think the ZARD for the Sport Classic are more involved still.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Zards quality control is to hit random shit with a hammer.
I just got the racing version.
Its engraved....

There is sort of a baffle/dB killer in it

The baffle can be removed to make the opening bigger.
On the left inside of this pic you can see two darker bits with holes.
It's a circlip. Long needle style pliers are used to remove the clip and the baffle comes out, "allegedly".

It's "alleged" the street version uses the circlip method as well.
Mine are off to get ceramic coated.
Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very helpful pics and info Dharma. Did your Zards come without the typical decal? Just the engraving? What part of the exhaust are you having ceramic coated? I was hoping to order mine with the header portion of the exhaust ceramic coated but Motowheels does not give you that option so I'll have to do it once I get them delivered.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The decal was on, I removed them, bit of dental floss under it then used pliers to pull them off.
Lots of glue left, used orange oil to remove glue.
I'm not replacing the zard decal.
If you want to replace the decals I have a couple of spares I can give you (PM me if you want them).

Getting the whole system coated, I think it's easier to do the coating locally.
Mine had damage to a couple of sections, round bits not round so the system wont go together. Worst one in pic.
Put yours together to make sure it fits before sending off for coating.
Check all the parts are there as well.

The box had no damage, this is how it came out of the zard factory.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That flattened tube looks like crap! You would think the most basic inspection at the factory would have picked it out for rejection. The guys at Motowheels promised an inspection before sending them off to me and hopefully something like that will get resolved BEFORE I get them. Who did you buy these from?
What color ceramic coating will you apply?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Got them from Omnia racing, Italy.
Omnia were good to deal with, they send on unopened boxes from the zard factory.
I knew it was a risk getting anything from zard.
An exhaust shop can make it round again.
Main thing is all the parts were in the box.

I was going to have them coated black.
Most of the bike is black so I'm considering white.
White should upset lots of people:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts