Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all,

I installed ZARD exhaust on my SC1000 last Thursday.

Stock air filter,
DP ECU, No O2 sensor.
TPS was reset.
CO trimmer:15, I have no gas tester to analyze real CO.
Baffle off.

I had a test ride this morning.
There were continuous serial popping while decellerating throttle.
Here is the video:

Is it normal ?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sometimes I get decel pops around the 3k RPM line. I had the air mixture set and it have diminished some. I don't mind the pops...

By the way...sounds good!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes I get decel pops around the 3k RPM line. I had the air mixture set and it have diminished some. I don't mind the pops...

By the way...sounds good!
Thanks for information.

It's the first time for me to install exhaust.
I am afraid that it's caused by head leakage, but there seems to be no leakage by further check.

It's interesting and special popping.
Sounds wonderful.

The most horsepower output is not my purpose.
Do I have to drill a hole at stock air filter cover ?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
My guess would be that increasing your intake airflow would help, simply drilling a hole in the stock cover would be a good start. Pro Italia was also selling the DP cover on their website for less than $10, might be simpler to just buy one

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Slip-ons as a rule won’t change engine air flow very much. The most common situation is that a newly-installed exhaust pipe or slip-on is not fitting properly. Aftermarket pipes are not a precision fit and often they let in combustion air that, when mixed with unburned fuel, results in the fuel being burned in the muffler. If this is the case, use a high temperature silicon sealant at the joint to the slip-on to keep the air out.

I recommend Permatex Ultra-Copper high temp RTV silicone gasket maker #101BR for the aftermarket slip-on system joints. Good to 700˚F intermittent. Available in auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Thanks for information.

It's the first time for me to install exhaust.
I am afraid that it's caused by head leakage, but there seems to be no leakage by further check.

It's interesting and special popping.
Sounds wonderful.

The most horsepower output is not my purpose.
Do I have to drill a hole at stock air filter cover ?
Make sure you use exhaust gaskets. While deceleration popping on open exhausts is normal (to some degree), it will happen more if exhaust gaskets (between the exhaust port and pipe) have not been installed. My GT was popping alot with my Termis until I realized the previous owner didn't install the gaskets. Five dollars in OEM gaskets later and only occasional popping when bike is about 10 mins into a ride.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess would be that increasing your intake airflow would help, simply drilling a hole in the stock cover would be a good start. Pro Italia was also selling the DP cover on their website for less than $10, might be simpler to just buy one
Because I live outside of US, the shipment of DP cover costs more than $10.
I will drill a hole later.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure you use exhaust gaskets. While deceleration popping on open exhausts is normal (to some degree), it will happen more if exhaust gaskets (between the exhaust port and pipe) have not been installed. My GT was popping alot with my Termis until I realized the previous owner didn't install the gaskets. Five dollars in OEM gaskets later and only occasional popping when bike is about 10 mins into a ride.

Tmnstr

When I removed stock pipe, nothing else got out of cylinder heads.
I supposed the OEM gaskets stay in the right place.

·
Registered
119 Posts
whats the cover on you tank? is it for a tank bag?

·
Registered
162 Posts
the exhaust pops because o f lean conditions you can use a o2 manipulator to correct this or try unplugging the o2 sensor the best is to go with dp ecu and get it set up to zards

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the exhaust pops because o f lean conditions you can use a o2 manipulator to correct this or try unplugging the o2 sensor the best is to go with dp ecu and get it set up to zards
I am using DP ECU and remove O2 sensor.
I do not have gas tester, so that I can not fine tune the AFR by diagnostic tool.

By the way, the free "Ducatidiag" tool is very helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
When I removed stock pipe, nothing else got out of cylinder heads.
I supposed the OEM gaskets stay in the right place.
Then they are not installed. They are about 2mm thick and the same diameter as the pipes. The horizontal cylinder one usually falls out pretty easily.

Tmnstr

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
i installed my Zards earlier this week, and that's about what mine sounds like. there seemed to be something between the header and the cylinder, so i'm assuming (hoping) that was the gasket from the Termi system that was on there previously. cheers. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i installed my Zards earlier this week, and that's about what mine sounds like. there seemed to be something between the header and the cylinder, so i'm assuming (hoping) that was the gasket from the Termi system that was on there previously. cheers. :D
Mine sounds like bubbles while decelerating throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Then they are not installed. They are about 2mm thick and the same diameter as the pipes. The horizontal cylinder one usually falls out pretty easily.

Tmnstr

I took the headers off of mine and there were no gaskets either. Since replaced. No idea if they were never installed or removed by the previous owner for some reason. Definitely put some in, if they were there they'd come out

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Hi, all,

I installed ZARD exhaust on my SC1000 last Thursday.

Stock air filter,
DP ECU, No O2 sensor.
TPS was reset.
CO trimmer:15, I have no gas tester to analyze real CO.
Baffle off.

I had a test ride this morning.
There were continuous serial popping while decellerating throttle.
Here is the video:
Ducati SportClassic 1000 Zard popping - YouTube

Is it normal ?
YOu might want to get to someone with a Dyno ..if there is such a thing over there...you can be guaranteed that you are running way to lean which is tough on a motor.

Just bolting on a system that creates greater flow ...and an opened air box will exacerbate the problem ....you need more fuel ...personally I believe it is not possible to get the correct afr thru the full rpm range without a computer that allows making the appropriate adjustments in the fuel map ..anything else is guess work . The DP ecu or "reflasing" the stock unit is not specific to your unique application \ location \ conditions . Further the ability of this "open loop" system to adjust for temp & pressure is severly limited and will not accomodate these mods. I have put it to the test. My engine in stock configuration with termis and DP ECU on the dyno were lean "off the chart" ..I knew this was the case before I put it to the test as even at sea level in 75f conditions it was doing what yours does and really lacked power at mid to high rpm ...altho most thought it sounded "great" .

If you have access and or can afford to do as mentioned there will be noticable power gains as opposed to something that "sounds great" but most likely has lost power ....

Long story short here is the real solution :

http://www.ducshop.com/eshopprod_cat_7586-90434_product_1193087.Ducshop_Microtec_ECU_M197_for_.htm

BTW ..the bike looks excellent !

Muzz

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YOu might want to get to someone with a Dyno ..if there is such a thing over there...you can be guaranteed that you are running way to lean which is tough on a motor.

Just bolting on a system that creates greater flow ...and an opened air box will exacerbate the problem ....you need more fuel ...personally I believe it is not possible to get the correct afr thru the full rpm range without a computer that allows making the appropriate adjustments in the fuel map ..anything else is guess work . The DP ecu or "reflasing" the stock unit is not specific to your unique application \ location \ conditions . Further the ability of this "open loop" system to adjust for temp & pressure is severly limited and will not accomodate these mods. I have put it to the test. My engine in stock configuration with termis and DP ECU on the dyno were lean "off the chart" ..I knew this was the case before I put it to the test as even at sea level in 75f conditions it was doing what yours does and really lacked power at mid to high rpm ...altho most thought it sounded "great" .

If you have access and or can afford to do as mentioned there will be noticable power gains as opposed to something that "sounds great" but most likely has lost power ....

BTW ..the bike looks excellent !

Muzz
Thank you.
Nice comment!

You are right.
The DP ECU is not made for ZARD system.
The popping seems to be normal under my configuration.

Since I do not ride vigorously, I won't tune by Dyno.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Muzz,

I also recently installed the full system with stock ECU, and the 02 sensor plugged in. Again, I believe there are no gaskets installed as well at the moment. The first couple inches of each header have turned blue and there is some pretty decent popping... obviously an issue of running a bit lean. The dealer said not to worry about and only change the ECU setup if I want to clean up the power delivery in the mid - high RPM range. My only concern is damaging the motor from running too lean. Should I be concerned?

Tuck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts