Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started installed first thing this morning and all is not going as smooth as expected. Front pipe does not seem to fit any way you turn it. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong here?

[/IMG]

Front pipe is loose in picture and is so far off. Directions suck!!!

Have searched Zard threads and all seem to state fit up was great.

Any ideas would be greatly appericated

Greg

·
Registered
730 Posts
Someone else detailed the problem with pics here. But basically you need to remove or loosen the large head bolt holding on the rear set and the other small ones to remove the stock exhaust support bracket. After that there is a threaded hole in the case in just the right spot.

Edit; maybe you can just remove the one 8mm allen bolt holding the bracket and slip it out

I didn't find this out until months later when i removed the rearset for powdercoating. I was like DOh! i had already cut off the Zard eyelet and welded a new one on to pick up the stock bracket hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sick50ford

You just saved the day!!!

I owe you a beer.

Lines right up when you know were it goes.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you have some scotchbrite on hand, now is an excellent time to clean up the welds on those zards. imho it looks much better without those dirty welds and you can give the whole system a makeover by simply going around the pipes IN THE DIRECTION OF THE GRAIN (do not scotch lengthwise but rather around the pipe) and cleaning up some of the imperfections from the welding, forming and shipping processes.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Had the same problem on an installation last year. Unfortunately Zard doesn't provide instructions worth the paper they are printed on. First of all they should use the stock location for their mounting tab, no reason not to. As you have found the tab doesn't line up with anything. On a better note (pun intended) the Penta is a great sounding exhaust.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You got instructions, None with DP .Take some Rubbing alcohol and give it a good clean to get any Oil off the pipes before you start up ,Yea let it evapourate before firing up tho If not you will get fingerprints on the pipes ,
I took lots of time putting the DP 2into 2 on ,First time I Crossed a bolt in, got to be Ten Years ,Next day went and bought tap & Die set....
Was not the fit I expected it to be but eventually got it all sorted out,
I added a small washer to get the Horizontal pipe a little farther away from the motor. at your offending eyelet..
Took to dealership to get ECU set up and the" Memory " didn"t take, had stalling issues and rough Idle, back to dealer 60 miles away , All is well now runs and sounds Great...

Have fun now...

·
Registered
592 Posts
wasn't really rocket science to figure out you needed to remove that stock tab. I did however use some washers so space out the rear set correctly. I don't think that comes in the kit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wasn't really rocket science to figure out you needed to remove that stock tab. I did however use some washers so space out the rear set correctly. I don't think that comes in the kit.

Glad I am not a rocket scientist!

Maybe I am to old and think when you pay a premium for parts they should come with adequate instructions.

Perfect example is Cycleworks fuel tanks, Those are great instructions. Makes you want to buy other parts from people like that:)

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Never even thought about that (granted my mid is a DP and was put on by a shop). Might have to play with it some since it doesn't seem as if the rain will quit anytime in the next week or more.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
+1 on the crapy instructions i got one of their first systems for the hyper and didnt fit at all had to fab bracketry and twist and mallet everything together.now i got the problem of the rivets in my endcaps holding them into the carbon cans were so close to the edge they broke through so then i had to trim the end of the cans bout half inch redrill and install the rivets where they should of been in the first place.i would never recomend zard to anybody piss poor quality and for the $ you pay for this crap it should be perfect...i just hope they have improved since they first started.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Glad I am not a rocket scientist!

Maybe I am to old and think when you pay a premium for parts they should come with adequate instructions.

Perfect example is Cycleworks fuel tanks, Those are great instructions. Makes you want to buy other parts from people like that:)
i believe that the zard headers are the cheapest you can get. they are shit quality. mine leak so bad that i've had to seal them up with sealant. Termi's are pretty bad also.

the only exhausts I've seen thus far worth the actual cash is the arrows. but then again, i got the cheapy zards.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I havn't seen any accessory out of Italy come with decent instructions. The Leo Vince is good quality, fits great, and has a drawing. The only thing is its about the size of a credit card!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Very complex geometry, sure you can whip some elbows and bends and come up fitting point "A" to point "B".
Are the exhaust tuned , equal length, same volume , back pressure taken into consideration at different RPM and under loads etc ?
I was considering cutting one of the pipes or another ,for a better fitment ,but decided to sleep on it ,and didn't,(hard to undo if the cut was wrong ) I ended putting a ratchet strap and pulling the bend in slightly enough to correct the alignment issues.

I wonder if some people got rammy and banged and got rough with the pipes and cans and did damage to the exhaust and joints, or cans..
Very thin wall tube ,easy to distort,
When I take a project on I take as long as it takes ,sometimes three times as long as I planned ,sometimes walk away go do a search and let the Fix come to you.

I took an evening, till I stripped a Bolt , said time to give it a rest then fixed that and finished early afternoon, 2 days to do a 2-3 hour job ,While I was at it I cleaned every thing up and took a bunch of pics in the exhaust ports and other places of intrest...

TAKE YOUR TIME ...In the end I got the Best job That I feel I could do or anyone else for that matter
Forgot to put a clamp on ,take it apart ,put the wrong clamp on ( very close in size)take it apart ,Put the proper clamp on finally,,, What Fun EH ,,,
Instructions are a last resort . You should have a very good idea of your plan of attack before doing the job and adjust plans as needed

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Instructions are for weaklings! I don't know if mine had any or not, but it really isn't necessary since the holes are pre-drilled and it is pretty obvious where everything goes. My only complaint was that I had to notch out the lower mounting tab as well to get it bolted up. Ducati tried their best to bend one of my header studs, fortunately it didn't break when I straghtened it. It definitely requires some finesse to get everything aligned, but the performance, looks, and sound are well worth the price...............one of the lowest prices out there for a good quality product. :cool: :D

I just got through stuffing an 8 piece 2-1-2 Muzzy into my Kawasaki Teryx. This requires taking more shit off a piece of equipment than I ever thought possible.................guess what...............no directions, cause the powder coater lost them out of the box when I had them coated. Speaking of coating, if you want to compoud your problems have all the joints coated so you can sand and refit each of them 10 times. :think:

Weaklings I say! :eek:

Out!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Finesse and patience ,I wrapped ratchet strap around verticle frame piece and around exhaust and applied moderate pull let off checked nothing was damaged and pulled harder next time till good fit ,
Harley tool kit = six different size hammers....
These premiun parts , you should be able to shake the box and open the box up ,and Bingo fall out assembled for the price you pay

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Anyone who hates their Zard, let me know, I want it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Zard collectors

Gotta say that I was a little underwhelmed with the finish of the collectors when I opened the box, tho' the design looked good - precisely equal lengths, nicely curved bends, much lighter than the originals and with a neater fitting system.

I spent a bit of time cleaning them up with wire wool, scotchbrite etc. and they looked pretty good once done - the machining marks were much less apparent. Welds not top quality - functional rather than attractive. Both these 'issues' were inconsequential once on the bike.

Fitting was pretty straightforward once I worked out that the original mounting bracket for the Ducati pipes needed to come off.
When done I trimmed the heat bracket slightly by cutting the leading edge to make it pointed rather than straight. Looks better to my eye.
No leaks. Turned a nice golden hue once used a few times.

Probably best value of the collector systems that are available? Tho' still not exactly what I would call cheap for a few bits of bent tubing they are worth the money for the sublime noise, the weight loss and to get rid of that ugly cat...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts