Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Brian ... but most folks call me Rex. I'm 58 years old, a military vet (1979 to 1985) and ex first responder (late 80's to early 90s .. south east Los Angeles). I survived the 1992 LA Riots, but my partner was assassinated by MS13 a month later (shot 5x in the back and 1x in the back of his head ... he never even got to draw his gun or see his murderer). I left in the fall of 1992, we moved from the LA area ... left skidmarks on our way out of town. We moved back to Yuma where it was safe, quiet, and hotter than the hubs of hell. Ok, enough of that crap.

I started riding at 11 years old in southern California (1972), and entered my first race six month later at a track known as Dead Man's Point. I was lucky to have a stepdad that had previously raced flat track, and spent Friday nights racing at Ascot Park in Gardena California. So I had one hell of a mentor. We moved to Tucson in 1973, and in 1974 I began night racing (motocross) in the 250cc class on a 175cc Yamaha. I was 14 years old, and 4' 8" tall, 90 pounds soakin wet. I did all of my own suspension modifications with a hacksaw and oxy/acet torch (moved the rear shocks' location, made my own expansion chamber, and other stuffs). By the second season in the 250cc class I was in the expert division, and my dad was so freaked out by the speeds we were racing at that he sold my 175 and got me into the 100cc class. In 1977 I took 4th place overall at the Can-Am Nationals in the 100cc Expert division.

I graduated high school in 1978, and joined the military in '79 which put a damper on all things motorcycles ... well ... truth is I met this girl see ... her dad was not keen on her dating some kid on a motorcycle. So I sold my Yamaha TT500, bought a 1978 Trans Am, and ended up marrying her in '82, and we're still together after nearly forty years of strong marriage. I'm lucky in that she rides as well.

In the 1980s after I was honorably discharged we moved here to Yuma. I began desert racing in AMA District 38 on a Yamaha Banshee. I was clocked at 107mph on that thing during a 200 mile desert race in Imperial County California. Again, lucky me, we lived less than twenty minutes from the Imperial Sand Dunes (aka "Glamis") so we spent a LOT of time duning during the 1980s.

I've owned 16 bikes along the way, including two Harleys, and a few rice grinder street bikes. However I've not owned a bike since 1990. Life, owning/operating two small businesses between 1994 and 2016 required every waking moment of our attention. I'm retired now (permanent neck injury).

I am ITCHING to get back on the bike again. A few years ago I began collecting various Ducati parts in an effort to build my own bike. The VA really put the brakes on things due to taking years to get some of my problems squared away (combat related PTSD, the neck thing, etc..). Well, today I'm as good as I'm gonna get. I've got the PTSD pretty much handled (other than occasional flare ups), and the neck thing is manageable.

The plan is to buy a 1990s SS in serviceable condition. I'll know within a month if the bike and my neck are going to be friends. My Drs. and therapists at the VA have energetically encouraged me to get back into motorcycles again. I was never more happy than when I had my Harley and rode with like minded patriots and good souls. I don't think I need to explain the utter sense of freedom and independence riding provides, we all know that.

I'm an experienced metalworker. I have a 700ft/sq home shop with a lathe, mill, oxy-acet/TIG/MIG setups, and too many power tools and hand tools. Among other things I design and build custom Modular Synthesizers and other audio processors for guitar players.

I'm so excited about getting back into bikes again. I reckon I'll pick up right where I left off a few years ago when I began learning about Ducatis and picking up various parts/frames/etc to build my own sickle.

I've been lurking here fore a while, but it's time to become a productive participating member within this community.

Thanks for not falling asleep while reading this.

Be well, Rex.

·
Administrator
13,024 Posts
Hi Brian er make that Rex and welcome to the site. My fondest memories of Yuma are driving right through to get to the river with our ski boat. :D

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Brian er make that Rex and welcome to the site. My fondest memories of Yuma are driving right through to get to the river with our ski boat. :D
Thank you for the welcome, Scott. Yuma used to be pretty much an oversized truck stop for the most part. But as of the last census our year round population hit around 100k (however it's increased significantly over the last year or so due to ~border issues~ you may have seen on TV of late, in fact we're currently in a state of emergency). While Yuma has grown we're still only blessed with one Harley dealer, two Japanese bike dealers, and a couple of small bike repair shops. Yuma is the kind of place one either loves or hates, there is no ~in the middle~ type folks here.

I'm really excited to enter into this community of motorcycle enthusiasts within this membership. Seems like my kinda goodfolk. I've got my eye on a mid 90s SSCR that I plan to make an offer on, hopefully this new chapter in my life will begin soon! My wife is very supportive of my desires to get back on the bike. She's encouraging me to move forward on this, even just this morning telling me she's convinced it will be good for me, and help me to "get back into the world again". I'm one lucky dog, don't think for one second I'm not aware of that! (that girl deserves a friggin medal for all she's done with me/for me over our forty years together)

Apologies for the long winded introduction. I did what I could to check all the boxes and get the meat-n-taters of my motorcycling experience all said and done right off the jump. Still .... kinda long post.

:rolleyes: :crazy:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hasta Lasagne!

Rex.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts