Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Yuasa battery. Opened the box, added the Sulfuric Acid to the battery and sealed it.

20mins later I connected it to my battery charger, and it read 100% charged.

Is this correct? Is this battery fully 100% charged right from the box? I find this hard to believe. How can there be a charge sustained without the active Sulfuric agent?

Battery experts please provide me with information :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's been a while since I bought a battery that wasn't a "sealed" type but I always remember having to charge them before using them.

Check it with a DMM, if the volts seem fine I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is holding the charge properly.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I used the same type of battery. It is a gel matt battery, it ships with the acid in a bottle pack. Very easy to use. You fill the battery and tap down the sealer caps and your done. The acid is absorbed into the matt, the battery can then be mounted in any position with no worry of leaks.

I too was surprise it was at full charge. I have a pretty nice charger, left it trickle charge overnight just to make sure it was really 100%. So my experience was the same as yous.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
AGM batteries take a bit to get accustomed to if you are used to conventional flooded batteries.

The initial prep of AGMs is important. You want to give the acid at least a couple of hours to soak into the mat before charging the battery. Then the initial charge should be between one and three amps for 10 hours or so.

AGMs have a higher at rest standing voltage then flooded. They also show quite high voltage when initially activated. This may be why you are getting a 100% charged reading. IIRC, they average 13v at rest fully charged.

Cool technology.

·
Registered
572 Posts
So, this battery being a YT12B-BS, it's perfectly normal.

A MF battery delivered with its battery pack is READY FOR USE as soon as acid is put inside (with a 30 minutes waiting, of course)...Although i highly recommand a couple of hours on an optimate (or any good battery tender) before use.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the same type of battery. It is a gel matt battery, it ships with the acid in a bottle pack. Very easy to use. You fill the battery and tap down the sealer caps and your done. The acid is absorbed into the matt, the battery can then be mounted in any position with no worry of leaks.

I too was surprise it was at full charge. I have a pretty nice charger, left it trickle charge overnight just to make sure it was really 100%. So my experience was the same as yous.
I am happy that someone else has a similar condition to how mine is behaving.

Thank you all for the help. I will install the battery tomorrow and see how it behaves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts