Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I was wondering if anyone could give feedback regarding YSS shocks. They make em for carb’d and efi Super Sports.
There’s multiple adjustability including length.
They don’t cost a huge amount.
I’m not a pro or track rider but I enjoy my bike and realise the 25 year old shock could probably use a modern upgrade.
I think they come out of Thailand.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've read good and bad on them. Thing is, for not much more money you can order a much better Hagon shock. Those I have experience with and can say they're quite good. A definite step up from the OEM.

The only issue is, people and places for after sales service are few to none. There used to be a US based official Hagon importer/dealer but from what I've read, the company is now solely in the UK. I think, you'd be out of pocket around 5 hundo shipped to your door. Probably right around 4 for the YSS with shipping.

A Nitron or other European brand shock would set you back about 3-4 hundo more.....but a Bitubo is just over 6 hundo shipped.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in Oz a Penske or Ohlins (surprisingly made in Thailand now) is over $1200
Biturbo, Nitron, Hagon etc are about $1000.
YSS (Thailand made) are $670 and we have an Australian distribution/service centre.
I spoke to the guy who sells Ohlins, Hagon, YSS and others. He told me he went to the factory early this year for the second time and was even more impressed with the facility and quality. He didn’t try to talk me into an upmarket alternative and assured me bang for buck they’re unbeatable.
I’m probably gonna order one and I’ll definitely give feedback on this forum.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
A quality shock will retain more value. Look at what a used ohlins or penske sells for, if you buy new this will be you some day recovering over 50% of your cost in most cases after you get the use. Now compare the resale of off brand or more fairly second/3rd tier brands. I get most say " I have no plans to ever sell my..." trust me someday does come.

Was there not a used Ohlins for sale recently?
New ohlins= $$$
used ohlins (or penske) = $$
freshened and sprung for you= $
Resale on used ohlins= $$ in other words pretty much what you paid for it.

The other reason is as you mentioned you can find parts service if you get a rock chip on a shaft or lose a seal. I will also add I have on many occasions converted Penske (and some ohlins) into shocks that are not available or simply a different model to save money. It is not always cost effective but if you but a 900ss penske and later trade it for a panigale, bmw,honda, etc it can be converted

·
Registered
235 Posts
Check how much it would cost to get your shows revalved and serviced. I had a racetech valve put in mine which made it quite good. A lot cheaper than a new quality shock, still cheaper than an off brand one as well, however still with little resale value, as ducvet said.

If I was buying aftermarket it would absolutely have to have adjustable overall length.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I see these YSS shocks show up in all possible places nowadays.
Even on the biggest second hand website here in Belgium/Holland there are constantly people/companies who try to sell these with "huge discounts" and stuff...

But I would only replace the stock shock if I'm certain that the replacement is better then the stock Showa.
And I far from certain that that's the case with the YSS...

So I'll save a bit longer and go directly for an Ohlins when I would like to replace the Showa.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've already installed a Sachs shock from a 2001 SSie. It has some pitting on the shaft but I'm going to run it for a little while. I've already decided on a Bitubo for the replacement.

Wish I could get the Sachs overhauled but no one I've contacted will touch them. There is a website that states it can be rebuilt but I've yet to get mine taken down far enough to do so much as clean it out and replace the fluid.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I noticed last week that the rear shock on my SS is leaking, so I'm following this discussion with interest. All the used ones are basically as old as the one on my bike, so looking to see what the best way to replace or repair.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I may be able to get the OEM stock shocks rebuilt. I'll check with my vendor tomorrow--If your interested send me your # in a PM with year & model. BMW shocks are not rebuildable as per BMW, But I can get some of them rebuilt

·
Registered
854 Posts
The OEM shock can definitely be rebuilt. I had mine done. I described in other posts what Rick at Cogent Dynamics did to it. I wanted to keep the stock shock but improve performance. It now has new, high quality internals and an adjustable length shaft. Other than the red linear spring it looks stock. Some may prefer more bling.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Seems to be plenty of options for the OEM Showa. Less so for the Sachs.

I kept my OEM Showa for that reason. I got the Sachs because I read it had a better camping circuit but no place local will touch it.

The simple reasons I plan on going with a Bitubo are it is less money brand new than a used Öhlins, that I’d still need to have serviced and I’ve wanted to try out a Bitubo for good long while.

It has less to do with bling and more to do with economics.....and a long time interest in a specific product.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems there’s pros and cons with this lesser known, lower tier unit. I realise I’m going against some pretty wise people on this forum but wanting to give in to mine and potentially other members curiosity I’ve ordered a shock from the Australian distributor. I ordered #MZ456-TRL340-04 for my ‘95 model which is the part number for the later efi bike. It’s minimum length is 10mm longer than my Showa and I can make it longer from there if required. I had to go for a heavier spring which added $70 to the price and chose a red coil at no extra cost. It will land at my door for $663.10 Aussie dollars.
That’s a bit under half the price of an Ohlins unit which if it works is a massive saving and that’s about the spend I’m prepared to do at this time.
I will be evaluating and providing feedback as time passes.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Any suspension shop that does not feel capable of disassembling a sachs shock would be questionable to me. It is a shock afterall and built to be rebuilt.

Brett
If we did not have people who would try other brands we would never get data to make decisions down the road. For that we all should thank you for taking one for the team. i have seen plenty of quality built shocks that could gain no traction in the market so were not viable for the MAJORITY of owners who prefer to play it safe.

Price point does not mean good or bad it is just a data point for comparison so we leave it to you to let us know what works and what doesent. How the shock is to fit,adjust,re-build,modify and in the end sell. Because I expect it to be better than a stock showa it would have to be pretty bad not to be an improvment. The rest will take many miles and years to learn so we will try and be patient.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any suspension shop that does not feel capable of disassembling a sachs shock would be questionable to me. It is a shock afterall and built to be rebuilt.

Brett
If we did not have people who would try other brands we would never get data to make decisions down the road. For that we all should thank you for taking one for the team. i have seen plenty of quality built shocks that could gain no traction in the market so were not viable for the MAJORITY of owners who prefer to play it safe.

Price point does not mean good or bad it is just a data point for comparison so we leave it to you to let us know what works and what doesent. How the shock is to fit,adjust,re-build,modify and in the end sell. Because I expect it to be better than a stock showa it would have to be pretty bad not to be an improvment. The rest will take many miles and years to learn so we will try and be patient.
Thank you Ducvet, I respect your input and opinion. Let the evaluation journey begin.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
That would be/include the Sachs service center then because they’re the ones who told me it was not rebuildable, and they wouldn’t touch it.

I’ve seen videos, and read that it is possible. I’ve even read that Öhlins parts fit it. I don’t have the service tools required to tear it down.

That stated up front, I intend to tear it down eventually. But $600 USD, delivered to my door can get me a Bitubo. New and unmolested. Slightly more maybe as I’ll surely need a heavier spring (I’m kind of a fat ass)

I’m not even remotely close to having mine on the road so any feed back regarding the shock will not be forth coming any time soon. Once I have it Road worthy and the new shock installed, I’ll post feed back for others.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Colour me interested Brett, fellow Aussie on a budget here currently rebuilding, and at close to half the price of an Ohlins i'd consider sending that money elsewhere into the build as a decent trade off.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
You are right about the sachs service center, I contacted them and was told the same as they do not intend for them to be fixed or freshened just replaced. That said they are no different from 90% of shocks in how they are disassembled and reassembled so if you are capable of working on a ohlins,penske,showa works,progressive ... etc you get the picture.

And to be clear a shock (brand) that DOES offer replacement parts down the road is a better idea than one that does not. The sachs is the option for those who are looking to spend closer to $300usd for a good shock that is spring and freshened.

$100 for serviceable sachs
$100 to freshen
$100 for spring for riders weight.

These prices can change depending on availability of a good sachs or labor rate to freshen but for 1/2 the price of that bitubo you end up pretty darn close in performance. If Sachs would sell replacement parts It would be hard to not recommend them over any others due to price but until that day comes you need to know strengths and weaknesses of each.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Points accepted, noted and considered. I could also opt for the Hagon shock as they offer all the rebuild parts required. They’re roughly $100 USD less than the Bitubo.

I’d really like to have a good Sachs as I already have one. My major problem is the pitted shaft. At least as far as running it. The seal head removal is what has me stumped with regard to disassembly.

I watched a video on a Malaysian company who rebuild them and honestly, they way they show to remove it......all it did on mine was tear up slots on mine.

I only paid around $40 US on eBay for it so it’s not like I’m into it for a bunch. If I can find a way to actually tear it down, and a means to order Öhlins replacements I may reconsider on a $$ replacement unit.

Honestly though, I’ve not done any due diligence beyond what I’ve just described.......sean

·
Registered
364 Posts
Colour me interested.....
I had my Sachs rebuilt in Melbourne late last year; about $500 including new Eibach spring.
It's ok but still fiddling with settings. Bottomed out in a floodway last month and crunched my spaghetti headers, so either going too fast or settings were wrong.
Or a bit of both LOL.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts