Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clutch slave cylinder on my 851 is leaking, and the paint has started to come off, so I'm going to replace it with a new unit. Pricing the Ducati parts, it looks like it'll be around the same price as a Yoyodyne unit, which of course has a much better design. Any reason not to go with the Yoyodyne unit, other than originality? I'm pretty fanatical about keeping things OEM, but in this case, I'm inclined to go aftermarket.

Also, are there any other brands that I should consider? I've always thought the Yoyodyne unit to be pretty much the best of the aftermarket options.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
So what I would do is take the oem one apart and see if it uses the single lipped seal and if the bore is still good or too pitted to clean up. The single lipped seal is under $10 to get (rounded up I think it was under $5), That would keep it oem and "correct" . That said I think the Yoyodyne is old enough to be considered a period correct Mod and as such should not be seen by many as a bad move. either way keep the original bagged and tagged for the next guy.

I will say the Yoyodyne is not the cheapest or to some the sexiest design, they do not have the biggest piston for the easiest pull. What they do have however is about the best track record for reliability of any aftermarket part I have seen in the last 20 plus years. Creame of the crop and my only recommended clutch slave because of this reason. It also does not hurt that fred the owner of yoyodyne has been one of the best suppliers and all around good guys you want to support in this industry .

The only thing to watch for is if you have the oem slave fed through the side instead of the top know that the clutch line angle might be best with a new line where the fitting is not flat. I also do not often use the aluminum banjo fitting included with the new slave because I prefer the steel version.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
There are a number of other reputable brands like STM, etc. And it's the same slave as used on almost every Ducati from 1990 well into the 2000s.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...I think I'll go with the Yoyodyne unit...The paint on the factory case has bubbled off, and by the time I get a factory case and rebuild kit, I'm only $40 shy of the Yoyodyne unit.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've got a Yoyodyne slave cylinder on my 888 that has been in use for about 20 years, never given it a second thought, never needed to......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts