Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Earlier this year I had a very gunked up clutch slave cylinder (translates...leaking) . In the process of installing a new Yoyodyne slave I upgrade to a 916 master (original master shot) and put in a new braided line. Went to test drive and while I can see the outside pressure plate go in and out, the clutch in not engaging and disengaging right. Not sure what the problem is. The Yoyodyne should be plug and play. Has anybody heard of any quirks with the Yoyodyne slaves? The clutch stack is relatively new and was fine when the bike went down for the winter.

Edit; I noticed the pressure plate WAS NOT spinning with the clutch lever pulled and the clutch dis-engaged.

Suggestions?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Check the pushrod and the bearing in the pressure plate for binding/seizure. Check the clutch hub and basket to see if the plates are hanging up on notches worn into them.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Not engaging and disengaging right ? Please explain.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sound like a mismatch of pushrod length and slave version.

Ducati slave cylinders are not interchangeable between the pre-2001 and 2001+ superbikes because the pushrod length is different.

When Ducati solved the slave cylinder leakage problem in 2001, they modified the slave cylinder on all bikes, except the SPS. That modification to the housing design required the use of a 10mm longer pushrod.

Yoyodyne offers two versions:

Part No. D001 - Fits up to year 2000 with the shorter pushrod
Part No. D002 - Fits 2001 - and up with the longer pushrod

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Bleed, Bleed, Bleed. Also, going from a stock to an aftermarket slave reduces the throw, which makes shifting more difficult.
And when ur done bleeding, go to the H.O.W. and look at my "no bleed" method. It gets rid of the pesky little bubble in the fitting near the master....

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
And when ur done bleeding, go to the H.O.W. and look at my "no bleed" method. It gets rid of the pesky little bubble in the fitting near the master....
OR...you can take the bleeder from the old slave and repace the master banjo bolt with it, and have a bleeder on the slave.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good suggestions. I'm going to try and re-bleed things and also bleed from the master. WRT the slave mismatch, it is the pre2000 slave from Yoyodyne WITH the brass button installed. That part has been around for a long time.

I'm pretty sure the bearing is ok. They start to make noise as they go bad but I can check that too. Last time I didn the clutch a couple of years ago (but very little miles) I files some of the ridges down, it's a little looser (which makes for a sweeter clutch rattle) but I think ok, still can that too.

I'm guessing it's something between the master and the slave since that's whats changed since the last time is was working. Points to needing a better bleed. I'm hoping unless I was shipped the wrong slave. Would the post 2000 slave still fit in the hole?

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
OR...you can take the bleeder from the old slave and repace the master banjo bolt with it, and have a bleeder on the slave.
The nice thing about my no-bleed method is that you remove the pesky bubble at that highest point at the banjo fitting, WITHOUT ever having to deal with draining any fluid out. The bubble(s) simply migrate up into the master cyl. reservoir.

All ya gotta do is, "tip and flick"

Maybe I should trademark it... Tip 'n Flick, by Stick

Reactions: Punch
1 - 10 of 10 Posts