Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an integrated rear tail light from Yoyodyne. This is an LED type electronic rear light with integrated turn signals. The turn signals need to be hard wired into the harness with resistors. The supplied resistors are ceramic type, 20watt 5ohm. These things are pure junk. They arrived with shoddy, broken wires and cut shrink wrap. I’m awaiting a reply from Yoyodyne but nothing yet.
My question is, can I swap out these ceramic style resistors for a more compact and robust style resistor or does the LED tail lit require this ceramic type of resistor? I would rather hard wire in a better, higher quality type resistor.

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
It appears that those ceramic composition resistors have pieces of wire soldered to their leads to help you with installation and then shrink wrap put over the leads to avoid shorts. From your photo it looks like there is a cut in the shrink wrap, but I don't see anything else wrong with them. Maybe I am missing something? I would shrink another piece of tubing over what is there and use them. It is important to use resistors with the resistance (Ohms) and power handling (Watts) as specified. Ceramic resistors are frequently used in higher power applications as the ceramic is both a good insulator and has good dissipation (cooling) characteristics.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
If you're using LED indicators - you'll need to do the diode mod to your dash indicator. It's the same mod as for replacing the dim dash indicator bulb with a LED - regardless of which bulbs you change. If you get LED bulbs for the front as well, you can get a electronic 'flasher' unit, which will eliminate the need for the ballast resistors.

This thread has most of the links and info - https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/482265-wanted-led-bulb-list-95-900ss.html

Superbright LEDs have pre made diode kits, and electronic flasher units as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts