Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a yoyodyne light weight flywheel? Probing for comments, want to use on my 749S...................Thanks in advance! :think:

edited for spelling

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I've read about a problem (Moto One Performance )where the splines where the flywheel mates to the crank have stripped off because the mass of the magnet combined with the accelleration/decelleration forces were too much for the aluminum to handle. Some folks have their OE flywheels machined down to shave weight and maintain strength of the assembly. Weight difference between the machined OE and aluminum Nichols is only a few ounces. This problem has not yet affected me, but if it does, I will definitely go with the machined stock piece.

P.S.... I just realized you asked about the Yoyodyne. I have the Nichols. I think the Yoyodyne is quite a bit heavier than the Nichols (~20 oz vs. 8oz) according to Fred at Yoyodyne. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from them and have been very satisfied with the products and services.

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
Bella749 said:
I've read about a problem (Moto One Performance )where the splines where the flywheel mates to the crank have stripped off because the mass of the magnet combined with the accelleration/decelleration forces were too much for the aluminum to handle. Some folks have their OE flywheels machined down to shave weight and maintain strength of the assembly. Weight difference between the machined OE and aluminum Nichols is only a few ounces. This problem has not yet affected me, but if it does, I will definitely go with the machined stock piece.

P.S.... I just realized you asked about the Yoyodyne. I have the Nichols. I think the Yoyodyne is quite a bit heavier than the Nichols (~20 oz vs. 8oz) according to Fred at Yoyodyne. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from them and have been very satisfied with the products and services.
The big problem that causes the splines to get messed up is a loose flywheel nut. When Ducati changed charging systems in 1999, they hung this big-ass piece off the flywheel and had a problem with the threads on the castellated flywheel nuts. resulted in the assembly loosening up and stripping the splines. Nichols has always had EDM'd splines in their flywheels - very damn accurately cut - and no problems. And, if you're going to have the flywheel nut come loose, it's best to have aluminum splines on the flywheel so that the flywheel gets torn up - and not the crankshaft splines. replacing the crank is far more expensive than replacing the flywheel.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Yep, heard about the nut problem too, and used the Nichols nuts for reliability. Really though, the damned magnet is one hell of a heavy assembly; and I can see that putting alot of strain on the splines; but Nichols really does make some top notch parts. I'd love to retro-fit the old style alternator to really let her spin up, not sure of what ill effects that will have on the charging system for street use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.