Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 ST3 for $2,600 Canadian, which is $1,900 u.s.
It came with a folder that has all the service history, original bill of sale, etc. The previous owner spent $8,700 in service, new ECU, throttle body, fork seals, etc, so the bike is well documented and mechanically as sound as the day it rolled off the assembly line.
There are a few blemishes in the body work, stress cracks, pitted paint, but nothing that can't be fixed with some carbon fiber reinforcement. To a proper job, the bike will need to be repainted.
Personally I'm not a big fan of the black, but it shows very well with the gold Oz rims.
My question; should I paint it red or keep it black? The frame is staying black as I don't want to strip the bike down to frame, so it would be red body, black frame, and gold rims.

Thoughts
20200727_165629.jpg
20200729_131424.jpg
20200729_131359.jpg
20200729_131447.jpg
20200729_141353.jpg

Super Moderator
Nothing wrong with red. I think it might clash with your gold wheels...so I can trade you my black OEM ones for yours. 馃槆

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing wrong with red. I think it might clash with your gold wheels...so I can trade you my black OEM ones for yours. 馃槆
ducati-st3-5.jpg
I was thinking the red would clash with the black frame. It would be like the bike below, but with a black frame.

Registered
鈥07 ST3s
I have a red 鈥07 ST3s , I would trade all the plastics minus the windshields ,straight up with you .... from what I can see on my phone mine are in similar well kept condition ....
Craig

Registered
'02 ST4S
Check out Twerth's paint job on his ST3s in the classifieds...it looks like his take on the '12 Multistrada Pikes Peak edition or Hyper SP...striking!
I had a sliver ST 2 and loved that color. Now own a Matte grey ST4s, I would do a two tone silver upper
over black lower if changing the paint...my 2垄...welcome to the ST club!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I have a red 鈥07 ST3s , I would trade all the plastics minus the windshields ,straight up with you .... from what I can see on my phone mine are in similar well kept condition ....
Craig
We'd be better off to swap bikes, that way the frame color matches.....lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Check out Twerth's paint job on his ST3s in the classifieds...it looks like his take on the '12 Multistrada Pikes Peak edition or Hyper SP...striking!
I had a sliver ST 2 and loved that color. Now own a Matte grey ST4s, I would do a two tone silver upper
over black lower if changing the paint...my 2垄...welcome to the ST club!!!
I can appreciate the look, but I'm more of a purest. So it's either, black, red, yellow, grey, blue, or senna grey.
ST2 Done 040911 001.jpg

Registered
How 'bout just adding bling? Like flames or whatnot?

Registered
鈥07 ST3s
I like black over red frame with black wheels , nice contrast me thinks ...

Premium Member
Several years ago I posted about the availability of gold Marchesini wheels and was told they don't exist yet here I see two examples. Sorry for the hijack, just thought I'd pop in and bitch about being told the gold wheels don't exist when they obviously do.

I have a black ST3. I've also owned a black 907IE. In my world if it's Italian it's supposed to be RED. I'd love to change my ST into a red bike but I get so many compliments I figure what the hell, ya know? That said there's a shop in my town that specializes in doing wraps on anything with wheels. They've done lots of high end supercars when the owner gets bored and I've thought about taking my ST to them to do the transition. They did the initial 3M clear film to protect the fairing and nose at a cost of about $350. I figure that doing a wrap is cheaper than trying to track down original body parts which now are approaching unobtanium status.

Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Several years ago I posted about the availability of gold Marchesini wheels and was told they don't exist yet here I see two examples. Sorry for the hijack, just thought I'd pop in and bitch about being told the gold wheels don't exist when they obviously do.

I have a black ST3. I've also owned a black 907IE. In my world if it's Italian it's supposed to be RED. I'd love to change my ST into a red bike but I get so many compliments I figure what the hell, ya know? That said there's a shop in my town that specializes in doing wraps on anything with wheels. They've done lots of high end supercars when the owner gets bored and I've thought about taking my ST to them to do the transition. They did the initial 3M clear film to protect the fairing and nose at a cost of about $350. I figure that doing a wrap is cheaper than trying to track down original body parts which now are approaching unobtanium status.

Good luck.
The guy I bought this from said the previous owner paid $2100 for the Oz rims. So basically I got the bike for $500. I don't have a receipt for the rims, but I'm guessing they were purchased around 2012. The rims are in showroom condition and clean up very nicely.
The wrap is an interesting idea.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15

Good luck.

Premium Member
The guy I bought this from said the previous owner paid $2100 for the Oz rims. So basically I got the bike for $500. I don't have a receipt for the rims, but I'm guessing they were purchased around 2012. The rims are in showroom condition and clean up very nicely.
The wrap is an interesting idea.
This is the place I used. They do incredible work: Elite Auto Salon

Premium Member
My search skills must be weak. I reviewed their site and can't find said ST pics. Please post a link to that page as I'd bet serious money it's MY ST3!

Registered
Black frame with red bodywork always looks Fast and appropriate. All black is supposed to look classy and we all realize that color combo is slow.
Red bodywork over a silver frame also works - that one with gold wheels looks really tasty.
Custom colors like flames and Corse are fine if they are calling your name like sirens luring you to the rocks. Most ST owners seem to prefer stock but that's boring.
Go with whatever color combo talks to you and looks right to your eyes. That's a very personal thing and we all have different opinions.
But if you want it to look fast, it has to be red. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts