Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of sucks this is my first post, but I figure this is the place to go for these type of questions. Anyway, been riding for a long time and I have had a lot of different bikes. I recently had an aprilia mille R for a couple years, and then jumped over to the new zx10. Which I hate by the way. I wish I had kept my Aprilia. Regardless, I have always been a huge Ducati fan and I loved my vtwin Aprilia.

So I find this 01 996 Yellow bi posto on the internet. It has 4100 miles. It was a one owner and he was an older gentleman. He sent me numerous photos and the bike looked great. I am especially hung up on it being yellow and a two seater, so I figured this was the bike for me. He said it had never been down and had all the services done and had at least five receipts for oil changes, etc... He also said it was in perfect condition and had never been down or tipped over.

Well, this is where it gets interesting. I drive three hours to buy it, with a cashier's check for $9100. He was asking ten for it, be we negotiated down on the phone. I get there and the bike intially looks great.

I start looking it over and there is a dime size blemish on the top front portion of the frame. He had no explanation for it. Then there was some funky paint on the frame near the right rearset. He said he thought his toe was rubbing it off, so he kreylon'd it. Then I notice there is a chunk out of the rear tire. He said that they were the original tires it was delivered with and that chunk was there from mile 0. He said something about the dealer telling him that it was due to a strap when transporting the bike and not to worry about. He then breaks out three receipts (not five like he said on the phone) for oil changes, but no other services. Shouldn't there have been some sort of major service done on the bike based on the age, regardless of the mileage? Also, there was a mild tear in the rear seat. Now bear in mind, he told me none of this on the phone.

So I say to myself, screw it, hand him the check figuring i'll just fix this small stuff and get it in for a 6K service right away. Well, I get down the street to stop for gas before my 3 hour journey home. I walk around the bike at the pump and notice the bottom half of the mirror is scraped bad and so is the end of the brake lever. Now I pissed and I can't believe I didn't catch that, as I went so far as to lie on my back to inspect everything on the bike.

To make a really long story short, I call him up and tell him I'm bringing it back. He denied the bike going down and didn't know what I was talking about. When I get back to his house, he says that that happened when he pulled in too close to a wall and he forgot to mention it. I get sketched and handed him his title and he have me my check back. Based on the frame blemishes, the carbon clutch cover, and the scrapes on the mirror and brake levers, I know this bike has been down in a mild tipover or slide.

Did I over react? It just made me nervous that he was deceptive and never seemed to really have any answers for anything. I should mention that it had termi slips, ducati chip, sargeant seat, smoked screen, and a carbon clutch cover.

What do you guys think? I'm just kind of in a pickle as I really wanted a yellow bi posto and they're really hard to find.

P

·
0 Posts
Hmm, if I were in that situation, I would have definitely renegotiated the price down to what it would cost me to fix/replace those parts. Hehe and used that bit of saved cash for exhaust system. But I can't blame you for not wanting it after you dumped loads of cash on him and later discovering that he wasn't totally honest about his sale.

Keith

·
Registered
293 Posts
I hate liars. I've sold a motorcycle before and a few cars, and I'm the opposite.....I let them know every single blemish and I ask for an appropriate price, but don't haggle much. No muss, no fuss.

If he lied about something as minor as a few scrapes, f**k him. You can always call back and re-negotiate with a proviso that you have 24-48 hours to return it pending inspection from a Ducati dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let it go. If it doesn't feel right then something is wrong. I bought a 998 in 05 after an exhaustive search. Not so much for the bike, but for a story that made sense. I heard all kinds of bull and seen all kinds of misrepresented bikes.

·
Alaska Born Tsimshian
379 Posts
Man, I'd say you were lucky to get your check back! Especially judging from what this guy didn't tell you about the bike! If you choose to pursue this bike, I'd say have a shop mechanic check it out. Sorry, but it sure doesn't sound like a very nice duc owner you're dealing with! Good luck. MH

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You did the right thing. You don't know what else is wrong internally with the bike.

Never been dropped means never been dropped and the bike should be in perfect condition. If you can notice a blem then its not in perfect condition.

You could have talked him down to a lower price but I don't know, he wasn't forthright in the first place so its a gamble. You would have to strip it down and ride the bike for hours to make sure everything works and it tracks properly.

I was lucky when I found mine. Timing was perfect when it showed up for sale AND when he said it was perfect, it WAS perfect.

There are good people out there, don't give up and don't look back. It just wasn't meant to be.

Post up what you're looking for in speedzilla as well as this website's classified section. Also don't discount ebay because of logistics. I'm sure there are people on this board who would help you evaluate the bike if its close by to them before you pull the trigger.

Be patient, you'll know when the time is right.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Check www.bcmducati.com. They have a 996 for sale at $9K. It belongs to a customer and BCM lets customers post their bikes on the BCM site. I believe it has about 12K mi. and has a chip and Arrow pipes. The benefit is that the bike was purchased and always serviced at BCM and they would not post a bike they didn't know. I bought a '02 998 from one of their customers at their suggestion. Awesome bike. It had 4K mi. and I got it for $8500.

bruce19

·
Registered
167 Posts
You did the right thing.. There are heaps of used Ducati's out there, don't worry about letting that one go. My friend just picked up a 2002 998 mono for $8500. It was from a motivated seller... there are good deals out there.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Nice pup. My Boxer, Moochie, just turned 6 mo. today. Great dog. Named him Moochie after a CT Middleweight Champion, Marlon Starling, aka "Moochie."

bruce19

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
akducati said:
Man, I'd say you were lucky to get your check back! Especially judging from what this guy didn't tell you about the bike! If you choose to pursue this bike, I'd say have a shop mechanic check it out. Sorry, but it sure doesn't sound like a very nice duc owner you're dealing with! Good luck. MH
+1

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Recommended Cam belt replacement every 12months or 24months,you did the right thing.I sold my 996 last year for $8800 w/6600 miles it had the same extras you had mentioned so you should be able to get a really nice Ducati for the money you were willing to spend on that one ,good luck.
Neal

·
Registered
135 Posts
You'll find what you want. I spent about a year hunting around my area for a good 996. Almost bought a couple of times on vaguely flaky bikes...I finally went to the shop where I get all my work done on my 749
and told them what i wanted..late model mono red 996 in really good shape.
literally 2 days later they had one for me,one owner 4700 miles 2001 model,they ran the dyno and gave it a lookover etc.Thing is basically brand new. 8900.00. Go to your reputable local shop/dealer they ALWAYS seem to have some Ned Flanders guy that has bought a bike and doesnt ever really ride it in their rolodex.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I hate it when people are forth coming on stuff like that. Im sure he will find someone to buy that bike with out looking it over first but sooner or later they will see the damage. I guess for me the extra money isnt worth the lie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Small world, If this bike is located in Palm,Fl. I was going to purchase it also. You must of been the guy he was talking about from Tampa. If so he has been calling me and leaving messages saying so and so backed out of the deal. I have not answered any of is calls, because when I wanted it and you had first pick at it, I told him reguardless if you purchased it or not to call and let me know. I never heard from him. I've been seriously thinking about getting it, but now I see this thread NO WAY. Thanx you saved me alot. Keep looking and you will find what your looking for.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kris: Yes, that was the bike. Small world. I don't think he was trying to cheat me, I just think that it never really clicked in his head to bring these items up.

In my obsession for a yellow 996, 998, I did shoot another offer to him for a much lower price, and only after a full dealer inspection. He declined saying he already had another commitment and that someone was wiring the money tomorrow. If that's you Kris, please take a good long look at this bike. I'm not saying that something horrible happened to this bike, but there are a few question marks that I would let a dealer mechanic try to answer.

I appreciate all your input guys. This was really hard to walk away from the bike I have always wanted. My damn 05 ZX10 just sits in the garage getting dusty. You know how it is when you like what you like. I should never have gotten away from a twin sportbike.

Aside from ebay and cycletrader (which sucks as most of those people are smoking crack when it comes to pricing), does anybody have a list of sites that have Ducati classifieds? It has to be a yellow biposto 996 or 998 under 12K.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Deputy how did the bike run and sound. This would of been my first vtwin. He said it looked(pristine) ya want to vouch for that? It still seems pretty high($) for the bike. Would you please call me3058129018 I would like to ask you something. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
bruce19 said:
Check www.bcmducati.com. They have a 996 for sale at $9K. It belongs to a customer and BCM lets customers post their bikes on the BCM site. I believe it has about 12K mi. and has a chip and Arrow pipes. The benefit is that the bike was purchased and always serviced at BCM and they would not post a bike they didn't know. I bought a '02 998 from one of their customers at their suggestion. Awesome bike. It had 4K mi. and I got it for $8500.

A 998 for $8500? Sounds impossible, thats 996 prices.

Another issue that wasn't brought up. Maybe at the last big service a bunch of flaking rockers were detected and not fixed. This could be the motivation to sell the bike.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Good thing is he gave you your money back. He either felt bad about not telling you or he was scared you were going to put a wooping on him. Price does seem a little high, but if yo can renegoiate have him go with yo to the Duc dealer and have it inspected by a tech.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would love to know where you guys are all getting your ducs at these smoking prices. Everybody on ebay and cycletrader are always asking outlandish figures compared to the deals you guys got. The only thing I figure is that one guy sets a high price online, and they all follow suit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts