Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy with a 02' triumph RS. He's not happy with his bike anymore and was thinking of changing it out for something else. I had recommended maybe a VFR and he was leaning toward a BMW, maybe an R1100. I am coming to all of you wise people to give me some direction on what to help him look for.

Some criteria about him:
Does NOT want:
1. to lean too far forward(bad back), slightly is OK.
2. another triumph, very little aftermarket support.
3. to spend too much money (still upside down on the triumph), so under 10K and preferable some thing under 7K (5K is even better :D )

Does want:
1. not an every day, no character bike.
2. Like #1, something with some character.
3. not too far leaned forward, slightly is fine.
4. something in the liter range, 800 cc and up.
5. something with fairings

I thought about a Multistrada (thats when I found out he wants fairings) but he doesn't like those so I think that puts a Ducati out of his sites. Any suggestions?
Thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,217 Posts
My immidiate thought is an ST2 or 4.. But I´m not sure about the pricerange.

Try and get him to try the Multi anyhow.. They seem to win people over once you get a ride on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,545 Posts
What's his complaint (s) about riding the Triumph? I own a 998 and a '05 Triumph Sprint RS. I use the Triumph for 2-up riding and I think it's great. There are several good dealers within an hour or two of my place so service is not an issue. I owned a BMW R100RS for 16 yrs. and most of my riding buddies own newer BMW's. I've ridden plenty of GS, RS, and RT Beemers and, quite frankly, they are not nearly as good/fun as my Triumph, IMO.


bruce19
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
grinder96 said:
Does NOT want:
1. to lean too far forward(bad back), slightly is OK.
2. another triumph, very little aftermarket support.
3. to spend too much money (still upside down on the triumph), so under 10K and preferable some thing under 7K (5K is even better :D )

Does want:
1. not an every day, no character bike.
2. Like #1, something with some character.
3. not too far leaned forward, slightly is fine.
4. something in the liter range, 800 cc and up.
5. something with fairings
My first thought was a Moto Guzzi of some variation. If character is a requirement then steer him clear of the VFR. They're a great bike but very appliance-like. If accessorization, customzation and that unidentifiable 'garage-quality' are what he's after the VFR will seem very boring very soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
One of the three "M"s

Monster,

Moto Guzzi,

MV Agusta Brutale
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bruce19 said:
What's his complaint (s) about riding the Triumph? I own a 998 and a '05 Triumph Sprint RS. I use the Triumph for 2-up riding and I think it's great. There are several good dealers within an hour or two of my place so service is not an issue. I owned a BMW R100RS for 16 yrs. and most of my riding buddies own newer BMW's. I've ridden plenty of GS, RS, and RT Beemers and, quite frankly, they are not nearly as good/fun as my Triumph, IMO.


bruce19
I have ridden bikes all my life and he used to (12 years ago) ride. I think he wanted to ride again and knew he would have someone to ride with. so last year he bought the RS , new old stock, for a pretty good price. But now I think he is just wondering what else is out there. I also think if he gets something else thats non main stream hes going to run into the same aftermarket problem(or lack there of).

He almost bought an Aprilia Mille but opted for the RS at the time.(my vote was for the mille)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
an ST2 might be good for him...


I like the three M's also

thanks for the input!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
ST's

Their are plenty of left over ST3's and ST4's out there, although the ST4 may be getting harder to find. Used ST's can be found at reasonable prices. Cycle cat or helibar risers make the bike very comfortable too.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
I think maybe a S2R 800 or a 800SS with a set of cycle cat adjustable clipons and rear sets to pick him up and lower his feet. That would give him a nice slightly fwd lean and low pegs in a bike with charm and much less than 10K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
For maintanance, durability, and value: Triumph Sprint ST. For uniqueness, and outright character a Guzzi Lemans. I have owned both and can say they both deliver a spirited ride.

He may want to look up a Aprillia Futura. My brother rides one, and I have ridden it a number of times. It's very unique. There are a few left, left-overs to be had for less than 10 big ones. They run like crazy, handle well, and are real spacey-cosmic looking. They also have big bags. And I gaurantee you won't see a bunch of 'em at the local meet. -Capt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
BUSA with raised bars

character
power
speed
easy to ride
handles well
fairings
99 or 2000 will meet his budget requirements

had 3 busas in the past.....love that bike :)

joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Er..No not that! And no that wont do! No! Wont work for me!.....Ah yes, Toyota Corolla... ;)
Ok, seriously... Multistrada 1000S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Friend's bike

I was thinking Monster until you threw in the fairings :confused:

An ST with bar risers sounds pretty good and versatile. I've definitely seen the earlier ones for well under 10K. :think:

If he wants character, I think you'd definitely want to avoid Japanese bike, unless he wants to paint on some :alien: 's. :abduct:

Character with parts availability, he sounds a little :crazy:


:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Kaw Concours...
Yeah the design is a bit "long in the tooth" but you don't see many around.
Mine is comfortable to ride all day long, even two up. Has a 7.5 gallon tank and tons of storage. The good part is it will blow the doors off anything anyone else has mentioned here (except the Busa) and it does it all for under $8000 new with a 3 year warranty. An added plus is the sight of a 600lb sport touring machine doing wheelies with ease, if you're into that sort of thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Ah come on Sir Smegley, the Triumph Sprint ST's rock and roll, weigh in about 150 lbs less than the Kawi Con. and put more horsies to the tarmac. And they are reasonably cheap, and totally indestructable.You can buy a 2000-2002 for probably $6500-7500. :D

They will run with any sportbike on the road, the bags hold tons of stuff, and they have decent protection from the elements.

-In all fairness though, you are right that the Kawi Connie is probably the best value realiablity on the market for the money, for a "new" machine. But even then, if I were going to go to an in-line 4, I think I would still look for one of the discontinued Triumph Trophy 1200's. I owned one new in '96 and I got to tell you they pull like a freight train!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
kingcapt said:
Ah come on Sir Smegley, the Triumph Sprint ST's rock and roll, weigh in about 150 lbs less than the Kawi Con. and put more horsies to the tarmac. And they are reasonably cheap, and totally indestructable.You can buy a 2000-2002 for probably $6500-7500. :D

They will run with any sportbike on the road, the bags hold tons of stuff, and they have decent protection from the elements.

-In all fairness though, you are right that the Kawi Connie is probably the best value realiablity on the market for the money, for a "new" machine. But even then, if I were going to go to an in-line 4, I think I would still look for one of the discontinued Triumph Trophy 1200's. I owned one new in '96 and I got to tell you they pull like a freight train!
Triumphs assuredly have more style (and are more fun to ride) but I can leave my friends 2004 Sprint far behind, well not too far behind but behind. He has aftermarket exhaust (sweet sound) and tuning but the higher rev's of the "Connie" apparently are enough of a difference. Though I've never actually gotten a true HP readout for the Kaw. It's listed anywhere from 96-103 depending on where you read it. Plus a 3 year warranty is nice to have. You always gamble with used, occasionally you win.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top