Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been seeing this bike posted on CL a couple times, and he just posted and dropped the price again.

Its a 2000 Ducati Monster 900 with 18k miles, asking $3,000. This guy bought it from a 65yo dude who owned it since new, and it looks like its been babied. Its got Termi exhaust, a full Rizoma setup (grips, reservoirs, bar end mirrors, etc). Clutch is already blinged. Sweet rearsets, although I can't identify the brand. And he's got a garage full of all the stock parts. Stock exhaust is wrapped up in the Termi boxes, new sets of brake pads in the packaging, new belts, stock rearsets, etc.

I rode it and it seems as well taken care of as it could for being 12 years old. Suspension was good, brakes were good, shifted perfectly, motor was strong.

It appeals to me because from what I understand, there would only be three years of Monsters with both fuel injection and aluminum tanks (done with the plastic tank/ethanol fiasco on my 1098 and Streetfighter).

For the price seems pretty sweet. What do you guys think, should I grab it?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I'm trying to do some googling, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Anybody know what the real service intervals were this year? I know they were more frequent than the 7500mi that I've been used to, but just curious what exactly.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
On my old 99 900, if I remember right the service schedule was:
Oil every 3,000
Valve inspection every 6,000
Belts and valves every 12,000

I don't believe they changed in 2000. Hope this helps.

Nice bike BTW!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my old 99 900, if I remember right the service schedule was:
Oil every 3,000
Valve inspection every 6,000
Belts and valves every 12,000

I don't believe they changed in 2000. Hope this helps.

Nice bike BTW!!!
Ok, thanks for the response. Thats what I was figuring, ever 6k for a check and possible adjust on the valves. So I can pretty much figure on doing the valves first thing.

Still I'm leaning towards snagging it to have some fun. Maybe finally learn to do the valves myself for a change.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
The valves on 2 valvers are pretty simple. At least the 1 time i've done them they were. The older monsters have a feel all their own and are a real hoot to ride. Heck i still have mine sitting in the shed out back!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
consider this.................3 grand will buy you 2/3 of a new 250 Ninja :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
$3k for a clean, well maintained monster seems like a nobrainer to me. Go get it! Ull love it, especially since uve already owned a couple ducatis and know theyre unique and quirky in a good way.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
For $3k I'm almost tempted to fly out there and ride it back to SoCal.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For $3k I'm almost tempted to fly out there and ride it back to SoCal.
Well, sorry to burst your bubble but its sold. :D

Went and picked it up today, but had to almost swim back on the interstate through a thunderstorm. The thing runs like my OCD self has been caring for it for the last 12 years. Popped open the brake/clutch reservoirs tonight, and they're bright clear yellow, and zero bubbles in the lines. Winning!

Obligatory pic in the new home (have to get good ones in the daylight once I have a chance to clean it up):

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Well, sorry to burst your bubble but its sold. :D

Went and picked it up today, but had to almost swim back on the interstate through a thunderstorm. The thing runs like my OCD self has been caring for it for the last 12 years. Popped open the brake/clutch reservoirs tonight, and they're bright clear yellow, and zero bubbles in the lines. Winning!

Obligatory pic in the new home (have to get good ones in the daylight once I have a chance to clean it up):

:yeah: Very cool! That bike looks well loved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts