Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been one for bling, but do farkle according to certain functionality, particularly visibility. Just picked up a '17 1200ST, had an '05 a long time ago which was a very different, albeit cool (at least I thought so) bike.

Top box is mandatory for me - need a place to carry tools, pump, water, clothes, etc. That's on order.

Next is Skene P3 rear lights. I swear by them - put them on any bike I'm riding. I firmly believe that they help catching driver's eyes.

Beyond that, not sure I feel that compelled. Normally I'd add some front driving lights (have Clearwater Darlas on my GS with yellow covers) - again, think they catch the eyes of drivers who want to turn left in front of you. Maybe the Ducati ones would do the trick, though looks like you need to crash bars to install them and not sure I want to go there. May add the side stand foot enlarger though as I find that has been useful on my GS for soft parking surfaces.

Well, a full Termi to get rid of the cat is always on the table :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Skene lights are a must have for me. I also added the top box to go along with the side cases. Got the comfort seat too.

But the biggest, best mod I’ve done is changing the front sprocket from 15t to 14t. It's how the bike should have been delivered. It's just geared too tall from the factory.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I bought the old style accessory lights that have black brackets that attach w/o the crash bars. Much of the time I leave those lights on. seeing 4 lights is pretty distinctive so good for visibility. The accessory foot is a must IMO for the weight of this bike. Handlebar bag, touring package, DP rear led signals (fit better than the stockers and smaller) and pikes peak carbon screen is it for me. The stock blinkers don't fit snugly and the stock screen tends to be plain nosy and has a lot of buffeting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine were:

GP shift,
Ohlins SCU
Heavier rear spring
M50s up front.
Tune

Ended up with a TPMS and a cruise while I was at it, the former was a drunken impulse buy, and the latter was a package with (the amazingly frustrating Tuneboy).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine were:

GP shift,
Ohlins SCU
Heavier rear spring
M50s up front.
Tune

Ended up with a TPMS and a cruise while I was at it, the former was a drunken impulse buy, and the latter was a package with (the amazingly frustrating Tuneboy).
Which TPMS did you purchase? Ive looked at a few but cant make up my mind...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
newbie question warning!! Airbox?
I believe he's talking about the airbox change from the '16 to '17 model. Since mine is a '17, I don't think there is a mod to be done. Well, other than getting rid of the evap box...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Mine were:

GP shift,
Ohlins SCU
Heavier rear spring
M50s up front.
Tune

Also for the early (ohlins era) is to cut an extra hole in the air box, the 1200 is starved of air flow through the puny inlet. When you remove the air filter cover, and look through the centre of the air filter, you cut out the wall of the far side of the air filter to the shape of the inside of the air filter, this doubles the air flow in. Good mod, you really notice the difference. PS, you mark the inside of the filter with a long twink pen, then remove the filter, and i cut the plantic out with a fine tip soldering iron, then trimmed with a sharp blade. No fine particles this way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Which TPMS did you purchase? Ive looked at a few but cant make up my mind...
Cyclops, I caught the intro deal so I got it shipped right at $100 bucks.

Just did two weeks and 4,000 miles with it. Exactly 0 complaints.

Also for the early (ohlins era) is to cut an extra hole in the air box, the 1200 is starved of air flow through the puny inlet. When you remove the air filter cover, and look through the centre of the air filter, you cut out the wall of the far side of the air filter to the shape of the inside of the air filter, this doubles the air flow in. Good mod, you really notice the difference. PS, you mark the inside of the filter with a long twink pen, then remove the filter, and i cut the plantic out with a fine tip soldering iron, then trimmed with a sharp blade. No fine particles this way.
Interesting though I must admit that I am a bit hesitant to do anything with the intake tract after I finally got the damn thing running right. Its a gem when its happy, but man is that motor touchy to tuning.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cyclops, I caught the intro deal so I got it shipped right at $100 bucks.
Did you have the tires rebalanced, and did you need to change stems to avoid hitting the brake calipers?

I was looking at the Garmin system but I don't really need a GPS - really just want the TPMS capability.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you have the tires rebalanced, and did you need to change stems to avoid hitting the brake calipers?

I was looking at the Garmin system but I don't really need a GPS - really just want the TPMS capability.
I didn't bother with rebalancing.

I did have to run the front wheel's stem 45* it was clearing the caliper, but just barely

·
Registered
82 Posts
I didn't bother with rebalancing.

I did have to run the front wheel's stem 45* it was clearing the caliper, but just barely
Would be great if you could post a pic of TPMS on both the wheels. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Will do shortly, I have a bit of work to fix things that went wrong last trip and get it ready for a short trip next month.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As requested.

The last pic is the dash the readout is on the right. I know the bike is filty, but its rained the last 18 days straight here.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome, thanks. How are you powering it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
As requested.

The last pic is the dash the readout is on the right. I know the bike is filty, but its rained the last 18 days straight here.
Thanks for the pics buddy! So the one on the rear tyre - was it fouling the rim when screwing it on? or Was it a straight fit?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts