Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm interested in knowing what everyones first experience was with a Ducati. What kind was it? Was it everything you thought it would be? Did it take getting used to compared to other bikes? Did you have a lot of experience with bikes before you tried a Ducati?

I'll be able to share in a few months once I get my 848. Can't wait!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My first time riding a Ducati was back in 2007 on an S2R1000. I convinced a friend to go from Japanese supersports to naked sport bikes. At the time I was riding an 06 Triumph Speed Triple. I told him to check out Monsters, Z1000s, Honda 919, etc...

He ended up going with the Duc. I tried it. I liked it. I guess I've never really held any manufacturer up on a pedestal. I used to before I bought my Triumph, but once I owned a bike I had lusted over for so long, it made me realize that it's just another machine.

I do really enjoy the Ducati line-up. If I was going to buy a bike with clip-ons it would probably be an 848.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My first experience with a Ducati was when I decided to buy one. I was going from an old Harley to a new 1999 SS750. I had never even sat on the bike when I bought it, trailered it the 100 miles home, and then decided to take it around the block. The things I remember the most was first getting on the bike and how weird the riding position felt. Then, when I went to take off, I habitually put my feet forward (looking for the highway pegs). It wasn't until I started down the road that I was overcome with awe. Eventhough the SS750 had less HP and torque than my Harley, the bike was faster....MUCH faster, it accelerated shockingly fast, and it felt light and nimble. To make matters worse, the bike was surprisingly smooth.....as I realized I was not doing the 35 mph that I was perceived to be going, but instead was going about 80 mph.

That was the bike that got me hooked on the world of Ducati (and sportbikes)....

Shame it only lasted 3 months and 3000 miles before I totaled it. I'm still thinking of getting another yellow '99 SS750 or SS900 to add back into the stable. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went from a poorly maintained 1980 Honda CB750 that was on its last legs to a brand new 2006 Sport 1000. The first time I ever rode a Ducati was when I picked it up at the dealership and I loved it. The best part was that the handlebars and mirrors were quite high on the Honda and not so much on the Ducati. When I went to park the Ducati like I had done hundreds of times with the Honda, the low handlebars hit the side of the fence causing me to twist the throttle and smash it into a parked car. Luckily, in the process I was flipped sideways a bit so the bike just pinned me against the car and neither vehicle got scratched.

·
Registered
578 Posts
For me the first time I rode a ducati it was a 1098 and I hated it because it was in bumper to bumper traffic on a hot day. I came away thinking why does anyone ride one of these? The next time I rode the 1098 was up the canyons, and after the first couple of turns, I understood why. The burning exhaust, uncomfortable riding position, the useless mirrors, those things are all the price of admission to club Ducati, and when you get these bikes in their element they are all worth it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I'm interested in knowing what everyones first experience was with a Ducati. What kind was it? Was it everything you thought it would be? Did it take getting used to compared to other bikes? Did you have a lot of experience with bikes before you tried a Ducati?

I'll be able to share in a few months once I get my 848. Can't wait!

And believe me, your imagination cannot possibly comprehend the joy that is to come. :D

This time last year, I was dropping everything I was doing to watch WSBK. It was like reading a book that you just couldn't put down. I just could NOT help rooting for Bayliss. I'd only even sat on a Duc once; the guy I bought my ZX11 from had just gotten a first year 916.

Then they released word that the 1198 & 1198S would be coming out & I thought - 'yeah, that's great... wish I could afford one'. Then after the new year I went to the local CW bike show with the new models and I test fit all the new liter bikes, the KTM and...

By this time, we knew the 1198s would be half the cost of a 1098r and for me, on the ragged edge of "affordable".

The Duc.

I just plain liked the Duc better than all the rest. The ergos for me were not noticeably different from the liter bikes, and I thought the clutch pull was better than some, albeit heavier than my ZX14. But, my overall finding after numerous trips back and forth between models was that the Duc had it.

That made up my mind to sell my truck (paid for) & put towards a Duc which I now found I could afford ... hmm... maybe not such a bad idea after all.

A few weeks later my truck was for sale and after 4 weeks sold for what I needed to make. I'd already been to the local dealer, and though I was entertaining the idea of getting an R1, when I really thought about it, I realized it wasn't what I wanted. In the end, I didn't even take them up on the test ride offer. I just went in $$$ and said - "Do you still have the 1198s? I'll take it. It was a black one. Sales guy comes back and says "by chance, would you want a red one, we have one just delivered, still in the crate?" :yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

I opted for red. A few hours later I rode it home with not even a tenth of a mile on the odo. That sound is... intoxicating as is the torque & responsiveness and very light weight. Not perfect mind you, but certainly everything I expected and more.

It took getting used to for me; 4th bike, 3rd sport bike behind ZX 11, ZX 14. In comparison, the Duc rides like this - 'hmm, maybe I should go a little to the left' - by the time you read 'hmm', the bike was already going that direction. Very easy to get used to and quite fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And believe me, your imagination cannot possibly comprehend the joy that is to come. :D
I think about getting my 848 every day haha. I seriously cant wait. Too bad the weather wont be the best when I get it, but regardless, its going to be awesome.

·
Registered
748 Posts
All I wanted as a kid was a motorcycle.
Dirt bike, street bike, it didn't matter.

Mom said no way (like most moms) She said I can have as many as I want as long as I could buy them on my own.

Always wanted a Ducati (who hasn't).
First duc was a 2002 998 Base.
Picked it up cash back in 2004. Riding it was sex on wheels. Never looked back.
Sold it and purchased a 2002 998 Bayliss.
Picked up a 999 track bike after the Bayliss.

I now own 7 Motorcycles. Mom was right, you can have anything you want if you want it bad enough.

I will never own a street bike that isn't a Ducati with the exception of my two Triumph Bobbers.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Had 15 years away from riding with the last bike a CB 900 f. Always wanted a Ducati so bought a ST4s ABS of an auction site with 700km's on the clock. Flew down to Christchurch and rode the bike 400 odd miles home. First 150 were in the pissing down rain.
Yup its everything I thought it would be even with the niggles buts it was worth it and thats why I still have it after three years. In fact now that its approaching 15000kms the bike just gets better and better.
Can't see myself selling it. What sport touring bike would be good enough to change to.

Enjoy the 848!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 998 was my first Ducati going from riding Harleys. What amazed me was how civil the bike actuially was compared to some of the posts I read about the 916 style bike being so uncomforable and a torture machine to ride. Once I realized how to keep weight off your wrists using your back the bike was not bad at all. And compared to the Harleys did it handle well and go like hell. Like going from a piece of quality farm equipment to a refined italian sports car... amazing.

Don't get me wrong the Harleys do what they do well: cruising, touring etc but the thrill of the Ducati is amazing. I'm hooked....

·
Registered
403 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Grew up on bikes, and had a 66 Bonneville when I was 18. Two yers ago, we (my mates and I) rented a 1098 and an 07 CBR 600 rr. Up Palomar mountain and waiting my turn. Got on the 1098, and I noticed all my braking markers had changed, and I've been riding that hill for over 30 years! The acceleration, the sound, the brakes, I mean WOW! I ended up buying an 08 hypermotard S. The most fun motorcycle I've ever owned. It's been puffed up with a termignoni 2-1 exhaust, chip, air box and race airfilter, scotts steering damper, and a set of Race Tech front fork cartridges, though. Ducatis are in a league all by themselves. Buy one and ride the hell out of it!;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I like this thread! First ride.... I had recently bought a GSXR just switching from Motorcross to road bikes and found a Ducati dealer not to far away. I think they had just added Ducati to their shop in late 98 I think because the 99' 900SS was in I test road it, the 748 and a 916. Back road ride south of Pittsburg. I can't remember now after 10 years just how far back in my memory I'd loved Ducati's but I knew then that that was the last non-Ducati I'd be buying. I finally got my 900ss in early 2005 and now my 06 new off the dealership floor in 07. Building two more in the basement now. I'm hooked!!!! :D

Edit: I know I wanted a bike from before I have any solid memory. My mom told me after I bought my first bike when I moved back from Germany that I'd told her I wanted one as a toddler. Apparently she told me I could after I was old enough to live on my own and get my own insurance. I don't remember that but I followed thru on it!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
It was 1971 and a buddy of mine in college let me ride his Ducati 450 single I was hooked. The first one I owned was a new 1985 Paso I still miss that bike.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
My first time was uneventful. I bought it locally 4 years ago and rode it home in the rain, my main task was to get an unfamiliar bike home in one piece. The clutch was not set up too well and was an on/off affair. But I had an inkling of it's potential, the ergos felt good and I goosed it a few times and liked the response. I could wait to ride it on dry roads.

I was not disappointed. Coming from the beemer airhead, what I thought was 70 miles per was 100. I was impressed with the acceleration and braking but was most impressed with the handling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 916 is my first sport bike (had a standard and cruiser before that). I bought it from a guy in Georgia. I flew to Atlanta, took a cab to the guy's house, picked up the bike and was on my way.

Looking back, it was kind of a dumb idea. I think the clutch plates/basket was shot or the hydraulic line was full of air. It was impossible to launch the bike smoothly. Luckily, I was just riding on highways back to Houston.

My first thought was that the bike felt like a truck. Kind of rough. I like how unrefined it felt compared to modern bikes. I don't know. I guess it has character.

My second thoughts were that it had a lot of torque and was very stable. I later found out that those were the common terms to use when talking about Ducati superbikes.

My third thought was that the riding position felt great. I was relieved that I fit on the bike considering all the things I'd heard about the 748-998 being a "torture rack". Of course, this is the only sport bike I've ridden. I have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My first time riding a Ducati was riding my new 1098 home from the dealership 8/2/07. Pure bliss! I knew right then I would never ride anything but Italian for the rest of my life....

·
Registered
238 Posts
In 1992 I was riding my brand new ZX7 when I ran into a buddy who had just bought a 888SPO. I had always wanted a Duc but I was a poor starving college student who just spent his last dollar to get the ZX7. He let me ride it and I was blown away by the difference from the I4 to the Twin. After college I bought a new 94 900ss/sp (I test rode it on the way home after buying it). Since then I have only strayed once from Ducati (2000 Aprilia Mille was a must have).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts