Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Jason's FatDuc O2 Manipulator on the GT for just about a year now.
At the original installation, I dialed in a setting of about 13.4, based on the diagram included with the unit. I've never changed the setting, or tried other settings, as the bike's throttle sensitivity and decel popping were immediately cured. The cost is a decrease in overall gas milage from 57 mpg to about 50.

Just wondering about your experience with the unit. Did it take long to arrive at your present setting? Have you tweaked it at all?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had mine since Christmas and same as you, I just plugged it in and continued riding. Works great, haven't messed with it. About 50 MPG.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I pretty much left mine untweaked. But my mileage has fallen more than many of you are reporting - it is down to the low-mid 40s.

So far I've left it alone because that is still better mileage than most similar displacement bikes get. There is a temptation to go leaner (which is what will provide the increased MPG) but another factor has thus far kept me from doing so: A rich bike runs cooler than a lean one. Having suffered both a heat/leaness induced belt breakage )an interesting story on its own) and fractured head bolts on my `93SS cooler running has come to have its appeal.

-don

·
Registered
48 Posts
I held off getting the Fat-Duc O2 manipulator for some time. One of the reasons I bought the GT was because I found it a little unruly at first, which appealed to me. A beast that needed taming, and I was the man to do it.

I'm very grateful of the SportClassic vendor community. They've made our bikes that much better, and I want to support them as much as I can. So I decided to order up a sensor manipulator and try it out.

I just plugged it in without altering the stock settings and here are my results:

1. The throttle jerkiness is gone. It's not linear, but at least it's predictable.
2. The motor actually works at RPMs less than 3 grand. I now have usable power starting at around 2500 RPM
3. I have not noticed any difference in overall power.

All in all, the motor is now a joy to use instead of a puzzle. Since installing the O2 sensor manipulator, it's like I have a new bike. I used to be jealous of the outstanding Hypermoto's motor. Not any more.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I pretty much left mine untweaked. But my mileage has fallen more than many of you are reporting - it is down to the low-mid 40s...

-don
Don - What was your mileage prior to installing the manipulator? I'm planning on getting one in the next few months, but since I'm only mildly annoyed at the low rpm throttle jerkiness it seems to fix, I personally wouldn't find a significant (say 10+%) drop in mileage a reasonable tradeoff.

However, I sense from what you guys have said about the manipulator that it might be healthier for the engine. Although my mechanical knowledge is very limited, common sense suggests that if the the stock ECU leans out the mixture too much and the manipulator remedies this, it should be good for the engine's well being and longevity. Do you guys feel this is the case?

Greg

·
Registered
322 Posts
Stock bike 40 mpg.

Drilled pipes sinked throttle bodies 40 mpg. 02 manipulator on the way. Guess I drive to hard. First trip out away from the house will tell. But so for gets 40mpg about as hard as I can ride almost. LOL

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don, I never even thought about the cooler running aspect of a slightly richer fuel/air ratio!

Indicated oil temperatures do seem to be lower than pre- manipulator. The readings used to be high enough to be worrisome at 225+. Now, they are on the low side of 210, and it gets frikkin' hot in these parts!

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Don - What was your mileage prior to installing the manipulator?
Typically 53 or a bit higher. Much less on extended high-speed (80+ mph) highway jaunts. (Yuck)

Last week I rode more mellow than usual and got high 40s. Really burning I've seen in the 30s but low to mid 40s is typical with the current settings and riding style.

One more thing... It is so easy to change the settings that I have switched in 'off' (full counter-clockwise) when I have had many, many miles of back roads ahead with no known gas stops. Then off goes the seat and I'm back where I was in seconds. Very, very cool!

-don

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Don, I never even thought about the cooler running aspect of a slightly richer fuel/air ratio!

Indicated oil temperatures do seem to be lower than pre- manipulator. The readings used to be high enough to be worrisome at 225+. Now, they are on the low side of 210, and it gets frikkin' hot in these parts!
Richer makes a significant difference on an air-cooled bike. In fact I believe that before the 02 Manipulator became available for Ducks there was a sinilar device available for H-Ds with the sole intent of solving their heat issues.

I mentioned the bad experience I had with an overly lean SS. Bad. Really bad!

I had opened the airbox and replaced the cans but not yet adjusted the carbs. It was a hot day (100+f) and my son and I went for a ride on some back roads. He was then on a Honda 600 F3 and being just in his early twenties he loved whipping' his old man. I ran the duck really hard to stay with him and heard the fateful "pop."

Running hotter than usual the vertical cylinder had expanded beyond the belts ability to compensate. Did over $1K damage. The bike had 12012 miles on it. 12 miles over its recommended belt change mileage.

It, of course, was my own fault. Never again! :eek:

-don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts