Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have Ducati's. Because of that, lots of modifications and parts are expensive. But previously owning a Hayabusa built for canyons and track days taught me a lot about having the right mods. Surprisingly, a lot of them were very affordable that made a world of difference for riding the bike. With my 1198S, I've done a couple of key things that I feel are absolutely awesome spot on modifications that many of you all should try. So if you got something, whether for Superbike or any bike, post it up!! Prices are approximate.

Driven Grips - $12 - ANY freakin' Ducati superbike, the grips are murder on my wrists. The is a MUST have mod that really does help for arm pump/soreness, and hand fatique. See http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=32336

R1 Throttle (quick throttle mod) - $13 - Our bikes are powerful, but having done Buttonwillow recently, I was constantly bending my wrist way below the handle bar to get full throttle, this simple and easy mod makes the bike feel like you just went +3 on the sprocket out back. You don't need to twist as much, and you get much quicker response and speed. This would also be a GREAT mod to help mask and improve the feel of the lean issue off idle with most of the Ducati's today.

Suspension set up - $40 - All bikes come from the factory with weird...'safe' suspension settings. I don't know what Ducati was smoking with their factory Superbike settings. This is mandatory. Either have a shop or dealer do it, you can also do it yourself if you get a buddy to help you out taking measurements.

Shift lever adjustment - free - Hate missing shifts? Get a false neutral every now and than? Culprit is probably your shift lever is too high. Adjust it, bring the lever down so it's darn near touching your boot at rest. Makes the shifts more solid, reduces false neutrals which leads to longer tranny life.

Clean & lubed chain - free - the difference between a dirty chain and a clean one, on a dyno, is about 3-5 rear wheel horsepower. Really. Maintain your chain, get more power, longer chain life, better mileage.

Removal of air duct grills - free - The ram air ducts are small enough as it is, but removing the grills actually smoothes out the air flow just a little bit. The Ducati grills are very tight. Regular oil changes and cleaning your filter every now and then will take care of anything that gets past the grills anyway. IMO, looks a LOT better too.

Engine Ice - $17 - Ours bike run hot. This is pre-mixed with distilled water, and brings the average water temp down about 10 degree's. The family jewels get cooked enough as it is, this helps.

Remove stickers - free/$3 - Gawd I hate all damn safety stickers. Get a heat gun (or wifey's hair dryer), heat up the stickers that otherwise ruin the look of a beautiful trellis frame, slowly peel off...*except the sticker with your VIN on it*. There will be sticky stuff left over. Get a bottle of any brand Bug and Tar remover (auto parts store), and use an old towel to rub off. You'll have to go over it maybe 2-3 times before it all starts to come off. Wipe clean when done.

Okay, I'm done for now. Post up or comment!

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Quiet clutch mod, heated grips, manual fan switch install, and sidestand switch removal.

Desmotimes fairing brackets, chopped airbox lid, and K&N for the ST guys as well as raising the rear suspension.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
6500K HID high and low beams - $180K. over 15k miles trouble free and don't feel like I am riding at night with a flash light.
Light switch mod to keep running low beams at all times - 10 minutes of my time and $0 ( I have a soldering iron).
Other mods I have don't classify as cheap or free.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
R1 Throttle (quick throttle mod) - $13 - Our bikes are powerful, but having done Buttonwillow recently, I was constantly bending my wrist way below the handle bar to get full throttle, this simple and easy mod makes the bike feel like you just went +3 on the sprocket out back. You don't need to twist as much, and you get much quicker response and speed. This would also be a GREAT mod to help mask and improve the feel of the lean issue off idle with most of the Ducati's today.
Sounds intriguing. Where can I find more details on this?

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I like simple fixes
Motocross grips are cheap and comfy. Most sportbike grips are too fat for performance riding.
I use a dremel on my pegs for better grip.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Taking out all the placement pins in the controls of my SC and moving everything to more comfortable angles! #2 would be Fatduc, best $80 spent on bike..

·
Premium Member
12,321 Posts
While removing stickers pull at 90 degrees and the glue comes off too,Sometimes??

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
On my ST2, I made a home-made chain oiler that works great. Prolly about $30 mainly for the 12V solenoid valve.

Home-made heated jacket liner, along with home-made 2 channel heat controller. Works better than a Synergy full-length liner. About $30 total, including $10 garment.

Relocated the rear turn indicators on my ST. $2.00 for threaded rod and nylock nuts.

Home-made switch bracket for heated grips and aux. light switch. $ scrap=free. I hate drilling or cutting holes in OEM bodywork, so I did this instead.

Installed a 22Ahr AGM battery ($50 shipped at the time) -- Ducati uses a 10Ahr now...mine was a wet cell, 16Ahr. Needed to make a retainer strap for new battery. Scrap = free.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Cored my stock exhaust. Free
Silmotor slip on chip 59.00

1 - 14 of 14 Posts