Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Tomorrow, a friend of mine will look at a "2014" HM 821 on my behalf; as the bike is 1,000 miles from where I live.

I'm new to Ducatis and just want to verify what the salesman has been telling me...

The bike is described as a 2014 821 model with a "full" Termignoni exhaust system.

Based on the pics, are any of you able to verify this, please?

Short of the number plate hanger (with indicators?) and the stalk mirrors, has anything else been removed/modified on the bike?

Looking at Google, I've found very 2013/2014 HMs shown with these rims. Why?

Can you tell if this is an SP or not?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nic

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not an Sp. It's the standard Hypermotard 821. Those are the correct wheels for that model. Hard to tell from the pictures if its a "full Termi system." It definitely has at least the "low" Termi slip on can.

I do believe that if it has a full Termi system then the bike should have the Up-Key map installed. Which means when the key is turned to the on position the digital screen should say either "Hypermotard Performance" with the slip-on, and if it is truly a full system the digital screen should say "Hypermotard Race."

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not an Sp. It's the standard Hypermotard 821. Those are the correct wheels for that model. Hard to tell from the pictures if its a "full Termi system." It definitely has at least the "low" Termi slip on can.

I do believe that if it has a full Termi system then the bike should have the Up-Key map installed. Which means when the key is turned to the on position the digital screen should say either "Hypermotard Performance" with the slip-on, and if it is truly a full system the digital screen should say "Hypermotard Race."
I was under the impression the low slip-on had no up-map, so the dash still says hypermotard. The high slip-on has an up-map where the dash says hypermotard performance. The full-system is only in high-mount, and the dash says hypermotard race.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks chaps.

Pity that the Seller's claim about the exhaust system being the full version is not on, but I am still keen on the bike.

I will ask my buddy to check for the dash map read-out. If it doesn't show it, what problems/costs can I expect?

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is the 821 base model, not the SP.

It comes with the low mount SLIP ON exhaust (with catalytic, same headers as stock, and no upmap). Termigioni is the only exclusive aftermarket exhaust accepted by Ducati (without any concern for warranty work, etc.)
*although it is only a slip on, the Termi low can sound VERY nice and you won't have any issues carrying a second person, and you can also attach side bags like the hyperstrada.

Only visible upgrades are the signals. Be wary if they are LED because they might not work properly due to voltage - I don't think that's the case but better to have your eye out for it than not.

Things to look out for:
-starter motor (and possibly clutch)
-electrical wiring + ecu problems
-aftermarket airbox / ecu flash (can cause fueling issues)

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't tell if it has been repainted. Those fairings look very glossy for the flat black paint scheme. :confused: Perhaps it was just waxed?!?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the 821 base model, not the SP.

It comes with the low mount SLIP ON exhaust (with catalytic, same headers as stock, and no upmap). Termigioni is the only exclusive aftermarket exhaust accepted by Ducati (without any concern for warranty work, etc.)
*although it is only a slip on, the Termi low can sound VERY nice and you won't have any issues carrying a second person, and you can also attach side bags like the hyperstrada.

Only visible upgrades are the signals. Be wary if they are LED because they might not work properly due to voltage - I don't think that's the case but better to have your eye out for it than not.

Things to look out for:
-starter motor (and possibly clutch)
-electrical wiring + ecu problems
-aftermarket airbox / ecu flash (can cause fueling issues)

Good luck with your purchase!
Thanks chaps. :)

Is the full system worth saving up for?

I'll ask my buddy to check out everything that you've mentioned.

Is there an easy way to check if the airbox / ECU has been modded?

What is the consensus on the mapping, gents? Should it say Performance, Race or nothing at all?

detroit: I asked the Seller is the bike had any crash or drop damage and was told "no.". I can't see any signs of a respray in the photos, but will add this to my buddy's checklist too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Handle bars also painted. Clearly the slip on termi and not the full system. Tires look at mid life. Not an easy way to check the airbox as it is under the tank.
I agree it looks to shiny it could be polished?

If ECU mapping for sure it won't say Hypermotard. when the screen refreshes after DUCATI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Handle bars also painted. Clearly the slip on termi and not the full system. Tires look at mid life. Not an easy way to check the airbox as it is under the tank.
I agree it looks to shiny it could be polished?

If ECU mapping for sure it won't say Hypermotard. when the screen refreshes after DUCATI.
Thank you.

Should the handlebar be bare?

Thanks for the display tip.

Do excuse my ignorance on the subject, guys. I'm completely new to Ducatis and am still fairly amateur in general when it comes to motorbikes, despite being a big petrolhead (mostly Classic & Vintage cars). :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way . If you are new to motorcycles the Hypermotard can be very unforgiving in several ways. First it can be crazy fast as its very light and has a powerful motor. Second are the brakes they are what I would call a one or two finger front brake. They are very responsive Grab a handful at bad time and it could spell trouble. You said you are new to m.c's . If so just be careful. Just my opinion sorry if I read it wrong

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way . If you are new to motorcycles the Hypermotard can be very unforgiving in several ways. First it can be crazy fast as its very light and has a powerful motor. Second are the brakes they are what I would call a one or two finger front brake. They are very responsive Grab a handful at bad time and it could spell trouble. You said you are new to m.c's . If so just be careful. Just my opinion sorry if I read it wrong
+1, Hyper would NOT be my first motorcycle without some technical understanding of what you are buying.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I probably spent a mere 8000kms on a 110cc bike before upgrading to the beast of a moto the hypermotard 821 is.

All the seasoned veterans will say it's too much power. Hell, in the 80's a Ferrari sports car was barely making 200hp and they were hard to control... now you can buy a Cadillac with over 600 horsepower and give it to your grandma to drive. All the difficult stuff is handled by the on board ecu nowadays. The Hyper 821 with ABS and traction control isn't much different. 821cc with 110hp on a motorcycle today is much "safer" than one with the same power of the past. As long as the rider doesn't do something obnoxiously stupid.

Don't even think about a full exhaust system. You're not 'The Doctor', and if you were worried about all-out performance I'm sure you'd be better off on a panigale 1299 or a R1. Plus a + - 4% power increase for thousands of dollars is just rediculous. Regarding sound, the slip on does the trick, especially that termi, from what I've heard. Save you're money for other things (short levers, mirrors, alarm syste... things you'll benefit from and notice the difference).

I wish you all the luck with you're motorcycle purchase. I'd reccomend looking up a certified mechanic to make sure there is no structural damage to the frame from a previous fender bender (or even an accidental drop)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd disagree with it being a bad first bike, apart from possibly the height and the expense of replacing smashed parts when it gets dropped. It has ABS and traction control, and it's really only a handful in sport mode - the street (and especially rain) maps turn it into a very docile bike. I also found it to be pretty stable and forgiving at reasonable speeds, though the front gets a touch light when you're going fast (removing the handguards helps).

Even though it's sold as a 2014, I'd strongly advise against buying it if it was built in 2013. Look at frame decals for a manufacture date. I just took a financial beating on selling my lemon of a 2013. If it was neglected or abused I'd avoid it no matter what year.

Echoing everyone else - it's definitely not an SP, and the price should reflect that. The forks are a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your input, everyone.

The decals are not factory, so that's not going to help me much with identification.

I have the VIN. We checked out the recall status with Ducati yesterday. I'll give them another call and see if they can tell me the year from that.

I should explain my earlier comment a little better... I'm not that clued up when it comes to 1. Ducati specifics, and 2. general motorcycling tinkering.

I currently ride a 650 BMW motard and I wind it. My bike is my sole form of transport, in real variety of conditions and environments. I'm more than comfortable on a bike. The BMW has been around for about 18 months, but I rode before that too.

Your concerns are noted and greatly appreciated though. :)

Yes, the bike has a FSH. It will come with its books. The Seller tells me that he purchased the bike from Ducati.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the VIN. We checked out the recall status with Ducati yesterday. I'll give them another call and see if they can tell me the year from that.
I found two Ducati VIN decoders online...

HYPERMOTARD DARK STEALTH 2014 EUR DMH
VIN: ################# | No active recall campaigns for this bike

Manufacturer: Ducati Motor Holding SpA
Manufacturer address: Via A. Cavalieri Ducati 3
40132 Bologna
Italy
Product type: Motorcycles
Make: Ducati
Check digit: A
Model year: 2014
Plant code: Italy
Sequential number: 007322