Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A hot crimson rage has descended over me. Literally, the fury inside me is growing as I write this.

Story:

Took my '92 900SS to my trusted and very capable Ducati mechanic to have a new set of tires installed, that's it. A few days after (tires installed on Friday, this would be Sunday morning) I noticed the axle bolt is not in contact with the chain tensioner bolts and is in fact installed 180 degrees from correct. Not too big of a deal, take the bike back on Monday (last Monday, July 2) and was reminded that the tensioner bolt is seized and we used a pair of washers as a shim. I don't have a problem with that so much since I can see if something loosens up by the washers missing, which they never have. Ride away happy...

Today however, the fury begins. I stopped by another shop (FSAE shop, not a bike shop) and saw this:

From the bottom:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So. Here I am. Anybody know of either a source for new swingarms or for an OEM one? I have zero desire to "upgrade" to a steel one, that will not happen. Any idea of costs?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Your mechanic has offered to fix this for you at no charge yes? If not, why not?

·
Registered
527 Posts
That sucks but how is that your problem, take it back and tell them to fix it. The benefit of taking your bike to have the work done is piece of mind that if anything goes wrong they will fix it. Take it back a demand a proper and complete repair.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,264 Posts
I'm with the others,take the bike back to the shop that did the work and have them repair the damage that they caused.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found out after the shop closed, so no word until tomorrow.

I know it'll be fixed properly, but it takes my bike out of commission for (possibly) the rest of the summer, if he can even find a swing arm that isn't already junk.

I'm kicking around the idea of drawing one up and buying a billet of 7075 and machining a one-piece job.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with the others,take the bike back to the shop that did the work and have them repair the damage that they caused.
That is an interesting option. I'd like to stay stock looking, but that could be a decent replacement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I were your venerable Ducati mechanic and the best I could offer in leu of replacing your siezed axle adjusting bolt was to stack some washers against it I would seriously consider a new career.

You need to insist on a replacement swingarm (good luck), and axle spacer and then find a better mechanic. Serioiusly, they bill you shop time and you pay them for their washer solution?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't get how anyone can put a wheel on and not notice it doesn't rotate??? Like WTF, by looking at the photo the butcher that put the bike back together didn't have a clue what he was doing.

As for being totally out of commission, I can't tell from the photos but you may be able to have a professional welder fill the groove that was cut by the sprocket bolts and nuts. If you go this route find someone that works a lot with tig and aluminum, try shops close to a major airport that repair arcraft part.

The wheel doesn't need to be replaced just the drive and the bolts, and It doesn't look pretty but the drive actually look usable untill you have to replace the bearings then it might need to be cleaned up a little.

Good luck

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike drove out of the shop fine. I think the guy over tightened the axle bolts and while I was riding at some point the bearing broke.

I don't think its repairable, I'm not 100%, but I think it might be worn through. I can't get my fingers in there or get a mirror to see, but its on both sides of the weld line and plenty deep.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks like you're missing the cone spacer in there.

It just ground off a few mm? no need to replace the thing I would think.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just got my 851 SP3 swing arm welded up. The previous owner must have left the sprocket bolts loose at some stage and they had chewed the side right out of the swing arm, much worse than yours. They had just filled it up with some resin rubbish. I pulled that out and got it welded up properly, just need to get it re-clear anodised and it'll be like new.

Went from this

to this

+ 50 quad-zillion on getting a new mechanic - Better yet, learn to do it yourself, then you know it's done right!!!!

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
526 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me after a tyre change. A friend of mine TIG welded it up and good as new for the price of a crate of beer.

Find a decent welder who TIGs aluminium all day long and send his bill to your EX-Mechanic.

Chris

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As it turns out, the spacer was not installed. :mad:

I'm a little apprehensive about a weld fix, but I know an aircraft mechanic that I trust with my life, so maybe all is not lost.

What's the process for the fix? Heat, anneal, weld, heat, anneal, heat, quench, hard anodize?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got my 851 SP3 swing arm welded up. The previous owner must have left the sprocket bolts loose at some stage and they had chewed the side right out of the swing arm, much worse than yours. They had just filled it up with some resin rubbish. I pulled that out and got it welded up properly, just need to get it re-clear anodised and it'll be like new.

Went from this

to this

+ 50 quad-zillion on getting a new mechanic - Better yet, learn to do it yourself, then you know it's done right!!!!
That looks pretty good, how's it hold up after some fatigue?

As far as doing it myself, I'm no slouch in a shop (race cars), but I don't have the facilities to do work on my own vehicles, yet. No garage, tools have been poached over the years, etc... I'm working on it, but this was supposed to be just a quick tire change.

·
Registered
527 Posts
As it turns out, the spacer was not installed. :mad:

I'm a little apprehensive about a weld fix, but I know an aircraft mechanic that I trust with my life, so maybe all is not lost.

What's the process for the fix? Heat, anneal, weld, heat, anneal, heat, quench, hard anodize?
Don't quench! Pre heat weld, post heat and let it air cool or wrap/bury it insulation. Cooling it to fast after the welding will put stresses in the weld area, which could cause cracks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The bike drove out of the shop fine. I think the guy over tightened the axle bolts and while I was riding at some point the bearing broke.
This doesn't sound right to me. He defiantly forgot the spacer between the swing arm and the outer wheel bearing, but if the bearing failed I don't think It would be because of the axel being over tightend. When you tighten the axel you are simply squeezing all the spacers and inner races together. Check to see that there is a spacer between the two bearings in the wheel. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I found out after the shop closed, so no word until tomorrow.

I know it'll be fixed properly, but it takes my bike out of commission for (possibly) the rest of the summer, if he can even find a swing arm that isn't already junk.

I'm kicking around the idea of drawing one up and buying a billet of 7075 and machining a one-piece job.
Why would you make one out of solid billet alum it will weigh 5 time more than a steel one. There are alum swingers on ebay all the time. I agree take it back to dealer and have them fix thier fuck-up.

Also remind them that since they need to source used parts and not go through Ducati this should be a two week or less repair. Front of the queue for repair.

Also if the dealer wants to weld it up let him figure out how to do it, and make him give you a paper stating that the repair is tested from an outside sorce and as good or better than factory.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike is sitting in my garage at the moment and I'm waiting to hear what another ducati dealer has to say.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There are plenty of 900s out there with the same damage. The missing bits can be filled in and ground,it's not rocket science or any special alloy,actually it is pretty soft material. Clean well,weld and grind to shape. While it is apart and hot you should see about getting the adjuster fixed.OR get a used arm off e bay. Just remember the washer when it goes back together.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts