Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hmm, I just sold my CB1100 and brought my Multistrada to home, small 4km ride.
So the Multi is my only bike from now on :surprise:

And guess what, yeah, the yellow engine light flashed on me after about a month just sitting there.

Parked the bike, engine off engine on, still flashing.
Different modes, still flashing.

Let it rest in the garage.
Took it for a longer spin and stopped flashing, but went solid yellow when the bike got up to temperature.
Exhaust valve is working fine btw, I checked that :)

Not that I expect some easy to fix solutions here by asking this but;
What are the experiences fo this 'issue' I wonder?
Hopefully just some sensor thing, or only a glitch that can be removed when on diagnostics?

Bike rides fine btw and I have already mailed the closest dealer...
Not a cool start of a new chapter this is. :confused:

To be updated...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
disconnecting battery and reconnecting it later eliminated the error !! ?

but because of that the dealer got to see a whole series of errors on the screen ?

So, twas the solution, but at the same time it caused errors.
Errors were eliminated and now everything is flawless again.

But what did the light in the first place light up?
Who knows.....blame it on the funcky Italian electronics?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Th eyellow light usually means throttle position sensor is faulty, this happend on my 2016 Multi, hot booting the electrics usually eliminates the yellow engine light, but it will be back and then finally go into limp modes. Have the throttle position sensor checked.

MPZ

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
And hope it's not like my '14 Monster 1200 where the TPS is part of the throttle body assembly and not sold separately. A new one costs (are you sitting down?) $2611 USD from the dealers here. :surprise:

I got one from ebay for $72, my indy shop replaced it, but no love. Still runs like crap and won't rev past 4,000. Sorry for the thread jack, if anyone knows what the problem is, tell me. :crying:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Th eyellow light usually means throttle position sensor is faulty, this happend on my 2016 Multi, hot booting the electrics usually eliminates the yellow engine light, but it will be back and then finally go into limp modes. Have the throttle position sensor checked.

MPZ
Aaight, thx for the heads up.

Might come in handy in the future.

Curious to know about limp mode.
Will there be some extra icon signaling the bike is in limp mode?
Or can it only be felt upon riding?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And hope it's not like my '14 Monster 1200 where the TPS is part of the throttle body assembly and not sold separately. A new one costs (are you sitting down?) $2611 USD from the dealers here. :surprise:

I got one from ebay for $72, my indy shop replaced it, but no love. Still runs like crap and won't rev past 4,000. Sorry for the thread jack, if anyone knows what the problem is, tell me. :crying:
I got extended warranty left until may next year...let it come asap than.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

no problem, i'm also curious how the issue evolves in your case.
Keep us updated!

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you have battery on a charger during the month that it sat idle? I think I read that you shouldn't leave the bike off the charger for more than two weeks if it will not be ridden.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you have battery on a charger during the month that it sat idle? I think I read that you shouldn't leave the bike off the charger for more than two weeks if it will not be ridden.
nope, I did not and I never had.

In the past it also used to just sit in the garage for weeks without issues....

Where did you get that info?

·
Registered
130 Posts
That happened on my 2016 MTS. Yellow engine light stayed on after flashing occasionally. I was 600 miles from a Ducati dealer and it was Sunday morning, with the shop closed Monday.

Some friends who know more about bikes than me thought it was just an O2 sensor warning and not a safety issue. I rode the bike home with no issue. Took it to the shop. It was an O2 sensor warning. They cleared the warning light and I've ridden it another 200 miles without issue, waiting for the part from Italy.

That's my experience. Yours may be different.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I dropped my 2015 1200S early in my ownership. The light came on after riding it home, stayed on the next ride then went away and haven't seen it since in over a year and 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I couldn't find it anywhere, I may have dreamed it... I did find in the Owners Manual that they recommend putting it on a charger if it sits idle for more than 30 days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just picked up a leftover 2016 Multistrada on Saturday. Took it out for a 50 mile ride today and stopped at a park for a while. When I went to start it back up, the yellow engine light and the one next to it (yellow triangle with ! inside) were lit up. There was basically no throttle response so I think that's what you guys have been referring to as "limp mode". I shut it down and started back up. Limp mode was gone but yellow engine light was still on. Had no choice but to ride it home. It seemed ok but I was gentle with it. Engine temp got up to 213 degrees F. Of course, the dealer is closed today so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to have it checked out. Not a great start to my Ducati ownership.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

My Indy shop found a related wire pulled tight along it's run. Said it may have been pulled loose. Fixed that and it is good for about 450 miles since.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just picked up a leftover 2016 Multistrada on Saturday. Took it out for a 50 mile ride today and stopped at a park for a while. When I went to start it back up, the yellow engine light and the one next to it (yellow triangle with ! inside) were lit up. There was basically no throttle response so I think that's what you guys have been referring to as "limp mode". I shut it down and started back up. Limp mode was gone but yellow engine light was still on. Had no choice but to ride it home. It seemed ok but I was gentle with it. Engine temp got up to 213 degrees F. Of course, the dealer is closed today so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to have it checked out. Not a great start to my Ducati ownership.
sorry to hear that

hope all turns out okay, keep us posted!

·
Registered
24 Posts
sorry to hear that

hope all turns out okay, keep us posted!
Engine light was still on this morning when I rode to work. After work, engine light magically disappeared, which is how these things always go. I took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer. They mentioned something about a code related to the throttle showing up but there's nothing they can do with "historical codes". What's the point of capturing the codes if you can't do anything with them? I should bring it back if the yellow light comes on again. Mechanic wasn't very helpful, other than to put a few scratches on it for me. Sigh.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's your O2 sensor. That happened to me on my 2016 MTS, flashing yellow, then solid yellow. Fortunately it was covered by warranty.

Be sure your dealer diagnoses it correctly. They can clear the error code and the light will turn off without actually fixing the problem. I know this because when I brought my bike in, they had to order a new O2 sensor from Italy. They turned off the warning light and I rode the bike another few hundred miles before they replaced the sensor.

It may be the placebo effect, but my bike is running much smoother and stronger since the sensor was replaced.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts