Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states, having some issues with my 996.

Rode to work this morning but wound up doing so in segments. Running fine when I left the house.

3 miles in to my commute, I stop for a traffic signal. Shift into neutral, bike idling fine and then it just stops.

It didn’t slowly die, more like a stall. I tried to start it back up and it just turned over. Gave it a bit of throttle and it back fired through the airbox a couple times. A very fuel rich smelling smoke then roiled out of the snorkels. At which time the light turned green and there are a dozen or so cars behind me.

This happened twice more, at the Main Gate to the Base when I had to stop and present my ID, and again when I had to stop for another traffic signal, each time the bike started right back up.

After the first one, the one I led off with, I pulled tonthe side of the road and texted my wife that she might have to come get me. I wasn’t at all sure where the smoke was coming from then.

After roughly 3 minutes or so, and the smoke clearing out, it fired right back up again. The next 2 times it fired up right away. I began to suspect bad gas.

About a half mile from work, the 996 sputtered out yet again at a traffic signal. I coasted to the side. This time was like the first. Did not start back up at first. 2 minutes later, it roared back to life.

I have a few suspects. Bad fuel, faulty ground somewhere, loose ECU chip.

I just eliminated the faulty battery as a possibility as it cranks strongly without issue.

I still have to ride home later and I have next to no tools here at work to do much more than tighten a loose battery cable. Any thoughts?

It seems to refuse to idle but will do so if I use the fast idle switch (thanks again Hervey!) and stay running without a hiccup.

Which leads me back to bad gas. I normally don’t use the gas from the base gas station. If I do, I try to keep the amount low. They’ve had a history of bad gas there so I tend to go to Chevron outside the base as much as possible.

On Wednesday I got gas on base as my low fuel light came on before I managed to get out of the gate. The only other time I’ve experienced anything like this with my 996 was on the way to the WCM last summer.

I had to get gas at place so far out in the boonies that the tank was gravity feed to the hose. They didn’t even have a real pump. 996 ran like crap most of the WCM because of it.

Again, any thoughts are welcome, ones to help me solve the issue preferred 😁

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
I hate to sound like Captain Obvious, but if you could get your hands on a hose or tube of reasonable diameter you could siphon the fuel out of the tank and then refill it with fuel of known quality. Best case scenario, that solves the problem, worst case scenario, you are able to eliminate this as one of the causes...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
any fuel sloshing about when you open the tank lid while running? leaking H.P. hose? how old is the battery? running volts over 14v?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Battery is fine, cranks the engine over like a champ
2. Don’t think it’s a hose in the tank that’s come off or split (it runs fine on the high idle switch)
3. Reasonably sure it’s down to fuel but open to any logical suggestion regarding any other reason for it to be fine on high idle but not idle without it.

The only other time it’s done anything like this it was down to bad fuel.

I can only come up a vacuum leak some where or the idle adjustment needs a tweak if it isn’t bad fuel. FWIW, it’s fine at a partial high idle engagement and remains running like normal at around 1K. Thoughts? Questions? Solutions?

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
TB’s balanced recently?

·
grand poobah
719 Posts
Check the classic, alternator 3 wire connector behind the battery box. Lots of write ups here, a quick search will show you lots of details. Best Wishes. Brad

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the classic, alternator 3 wire connector behind the battery box. Lots of write ups here, a quick search will show you lots of details. Best Wishes. Brad
Thanks for the tip. Bike’s been parked up since my last post....work has been a bit too busy for me of late and not had a chance to even take the plastics off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts