Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm thinking of carbon for the air intake tubes, but have a ?....
The basic cf tubes are just covers, correct?

And then there are the RACE CF tubes that are NOT covers, but the whole tubes, correct?

I am just trying to think of some mods for the XX9....
(yes, I've ran the "search" for threads, came up with the following)
I know there are things like:
All the Clutch/pressure plate color/ Clutch spring/cap/Clutch cover mods
Dual Headlight mod
Exhaust mods
CF addons
Rearset changeouts

Just trying to think of the various mods for the XX9....I'm not hearing many of the mods available....

Obviously, I'm NOT speaking of engine mods, Ohlins upgrades, etc....I'm talking about mods under $500.00 to free. I think I posted up some free ones in a thread, but just looking for others with mods/pics/how to's/etc....

Thanks in advance & post up some mods guys!!!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
So, I'm thinking of carbon for the air intake tubes, but have a ?....
The basic cf tubes are just covers, correct?

And then there are the RACE CF tubes that are NOT covers, but the whole tubes, correct?

I am just trying to think of some mods for the XX9....
(yes, I've ran the "search" for threads, came up with the following)
I know there are things like:
All the Clutch/pressure plate color/ Clutch spring/cap/Clutch cover mods
Dual Headlight mod
Exhaust mods
CF addons
Rearset changeouts

Just trying to think of the various mods for the XX9....I'm not hearing many of the mods available....

Obviously, I'm NOT speaking of engine mods, Ohlins upgrades, etc....I'm talking about mods under $500.00 to free. I think I posted up some free ones in a thread, but just looking for others with mods/pics/how to's/etc....

Thanks in advance & post up some mods guys!!!
#1... SUSPENSION... These bike are set up all wrong in stock form. Too stiff up front, too soft in the rear. Get the bike set up correctly and it is a world of difference. That doesnt imply you have to break the bank on suspension parts. A basic re-spring/valving does wonders even with the stock components.

Rear sets, good investment. Stock ones suck.

I had a set of CF race airtubes (Sebimoto, ~$300 from Yoyodyne) on my 749Bip. They're pure bling. The did have to be modified... about an hour with the Dremel. IMO, get the CF covers if you want the look, as ther's no real gains otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
#1... SUSPENSION... These bike are set up all wrong in stock form. Too stiff up front, too soft in the rear. Get the bike set up correctly and it is a world of difference. That doesnt imply you have to break the bank on suspension parts. A basic re-spring/valving does wonders even with the stock components.

Rear sets, good investment. Stock ones suck.

I had a set of CF race airtubes (Sebimoto, ~$300 from Yoyodyne) on my 749Bip. They're pure bling. The did have to be modified... about an hour with the Dremel. IMO, get the CF covers if you want the look, as ther's no real gains otherwise.
There are no gains from the larger carbon air intake tubes? I would think that if you tune it for them they would give a little. They do flow more air.
And +1 on the suspension and rear sets. You don't have to spend a fortune on the rear sets either. I bought the Slingshot Racing ones, and they are great. I believe Tye uses them as well. And they are pretty cheap to fix if you break a peg. $25 with the swivel piece. I would add to do a sprocket, that will give you a big umph. What sprockets are you running now?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I had a set of CF race airtubes ... The did have to be modified... about an hour with the Dremel.
I have CF tubes, pure bolt on, though I did need to add a coolant overflow tank to replace the one that went away with the OEM tubes.

Tom

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have CF tubes, pure bolt on, though I did need to add a coolant overflow tank to replace the one that went away with the OEM tubes.

Tom
Wish I had the tubes you got... in addition to drilling the mounting holes at the apropriate angle, I had to trim back the ends about an inch or so, keeping the proper angles to mate with the stock body work; also had to get a coolant bottle.

They looked real nice, and I'm sure there were some minimal gains to be made, but not much with the engine in stock configuration plus DP 54mm exhaust on my 749bip. In retrospect, I would have bought the CF covers and saved a few $$

My priority was making the bike crashworthy and setting up the chassis. When you start talking significant power gains you start talking big $$ on these bikes.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
The best set up is the full cf airbox and runners. It only costs in the neighborhood of $2K, if you can find them.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The best set up is the full cf airbox and runners. It only costs in the neighborhood of $2K, if you can find them.
Oh they are still made...I have been pondering one, but the bike is enough for me at the moment and really don't need the extra power right now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions. The bike is stock (I'm assuming)...there are no receipts in all the maintenance paperwork, etc...so I'm assuming the sprockets are as well. First priority is new tread from sitting around so long. Been nabbing up cf left/right. Having a cored exhaust made up as we speak. So looking @ other mods...

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Like Bella said.... do some work with your suspension. That will get you real world positive changes that you will notice.

Air ducts get restrictive at the top end. How much time are you planning to live at anywhere near 11,000 RPM on a street bike?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Oh they are still made...I have been pondering one, but the bike is enough for me at the moment and really don't need the extra power right now.
I have that EVR airbox on my R. I don't think you really net much gain; maybe if your're doing alot of work to the motor. With the 57mm termi, well mapped PC3, it's putting out a silky smooth 124hp at the wheel. It's a respectable number, for an otherwise stock motor on pump gas, but nothing crazy. A nice piece indeed, it was on the bike when I bought it; I could think of better uses for $2200. One good thing about it is it allows easy access to the throttle bodies.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The "Best" mod under $500 is w/o a doubt a rear sprocket change! Your stcok set up is 15/36...15tooth front and 36tooth rear sprocket. Forget about the suspension-just look at your manual and become familiar w/ how you adjust the forks and shocks. Then take the proper tools out w/ you for a long ride and adjust the suspension to suit!
Back to the sprocket, you will be amazed how much better your 999 will feel going to a 39, 40, 41 tooth sprocket. Sure, it won't have the top end, but who cares? the rush you'll get from the new sprocket will be well worth it. The only issue is fitting the chain to a larger sprocket-depending how high you go you might need a new longer chain. Heck, $60 for the sprocket, $125 for the chain. I running a 15/42 and love it.:)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The "Best" mod under $500 is w/o a doubt a rear sprocket change! Your stcok set up is 15/36...15tooth front and 36tooth rear sprocket. Forget about the suspension-just look at your manual and become familiar w/ how you adjust the forks and shocks. Then take the proper tools out w/ you for a long ride and adjust the suspension to suit!
Back to the sprocket, you will be amazed how much better your 999 will feel going to a 39, 40, 41 tooth sprocket. Sure, it won't have the top end, but who cares? the rush you'll get from the new sprocket will be well worth it. The only issue is fitting the chain to a larger sprocket-depending how high you go you might need a new longer chain. Heck, $60 for the sprocket, $125 for the chain. I running a 15/42 and love it.:)
520 chain, 14 front, 39 or 41 rear. Rock and roll. I have a 14/39 combo, and my bike wont go over 150, but it rocks all the way to that point. Granted I have a different final drive ratio, but still...

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
520 chain, 14 front, 39 or 41 rear. Rock and roll. I have a 14/39 combo, and my bike wont go over 150, but it rocks all the way to that point. Granted I have a different final drive ratio, but still...
I will be converting someday to the 520, but with a 39 or higher will it give you the impression on the freeway it needs another gear? I hate that sensation. Because of that, I would rather have gears a little on the tall side, not stock but maybe 15/38?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I will be converting someday to the 520, but with a 39 or higher will it give you the impression on the freeway it needs another gear? I hate that sensation. Because of that, I would rather have gears a little on the tall side, not stock but maybe 15/38?
Not on your bike. On mine yes...
The final drives are different.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I have the 14/39 setup on my 999 and it seems to go quite fine.:D

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I also have 14/39 on my 999R, and like it quite well. 5th and 6th are still rarely used, even on the highway.

Tom

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again...when I get home this week, I'll look @ adjusting the forks/shock a little so see what feels better....
I'll also take a look @ sprockets...150mph is enough for me on the Duc, as it "feels" different than the CBR & I'm not used to it yet....need more time in the saddle, but waiting on tires 1st....So what's a good setup for sprockets on a 04 999?

Been thinking of a newer chain a well...so much to do. The one on there is in correct specs, but rusted to hell from sittin...Thought of just cleaning it, but if I'm gonna mess with sprockets, etc....might as well get a new chain while I'm @ it....just to be safe!

-Thanks again guys, ALL of you, for the advice given. I REALLY DO appreciate it...This bike isn't like the Repsol...it needs some TLC & maintenance....not used to that! But I NEED to learn, as nearest Ducati dealer is a LONG way away,and I'm finding out they are a bit pricey....to say the least!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Thanks again...when I get home this week, I'll look @ adjusting the forks/shock a little so see what feels better....
I'll also take a look @ sprockets...150mph is enough for me on the Duc, as it "feels" different than the CBR & I'm not used to it yet....need more time in the saddle, but waiting on tires 1st....So what's a good setup for sprockets on a 04 999?

Been thinking of a newer chain a well...so much to do. The one on there is in correct specs, but rusted to hell from sittin...Thought of just cleaning it, but if I'm gonna mess with sprockets, etc....might as well get a new chain while I'm @ it....just to be safe!

-Thanks again guys, ALL of you, for the advice given. I REALLY DO appreciate it...This bike isn't like the Repsol...it needs some TLC & maintenance....not used to that! But I NEED to learn, as nearest Ducati dealer is a LONG way away,and I'm finding out they are a bit pricey....to say the least!
:cool:
You are not listening are you? ;) 520 Chain (DID chain), 14 front/39 rear sprockets. You will love it. Your bike will top out higher than 150 bc of the final drive ratio. I was just making a side note about my bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went up three teeth on the rear with my 748. I rarely use 5th gear and almost never use 6th.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts