Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I HATE the stocker exhaust on the 999....Choices seem pretty limited to Remus/Termignoni

I have a Termignoni system on my Repsol & love it, so pretty sure I'm gonna go with it (don't like the dual remus look)...So my question is....

If I put a termignoni on, I assume I need to tune it. Now, do I need a PCIII or new ECU, or something else? I had a Leo Vince on my RSVR and had it tuned/dyno'd, but no ECU/PCIII, etc....

Just trying to figure additional costs/etc for an exhaust purchase.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
So I HATE the stocker exhaust on the 999....Choices seem pretty limited to Remus/Termignoni

I have a Termignoni system on my Repsol & love it, so pretty sure I'm gonna go with it (don't like the dual remus look)...So my question is....

If I put a termignoni on, I assume I need to tune it. Now, do I need a PCIII or new ECU, or something else? I had a Leo Vince on my RSVR and had it tuned/dyno'd, but no ECU/PCIII, etc....

Just trying to figure additional costs/etc for an exhaust purchase.

Thanks in advance for the help!
If you find a complete termi system, it will come with an ECU, so you don't need a tune. A new one will have it with air filters also. A used one might not, in which case you need a power commander. Most places charge minimum 3 hours, so around $300 to tune. $300 for power commander. Or you can just download a map from power commander website and run with that. That will be fine. They will have a map for your bike.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
there other otpions.
check out motowheels for some ideas. I have a full system from Zard and it did not need a tune. It transformed the bike and it sounds great (my subjective opnion).

·
Registered
157 Posts
:confused:Not sure what it is you're fully looking for.

Cheapest price is the Zard. No ECU upgrade needed. Different sound then others.

You have the Termi's if you can find them new. No need for ECU as the full systems come with their own. If used, most ECU's are set to the other bike and you'll still need a PC3.

Leo Vince makes some awesome pipes! But, you will need an PC3with those.

Akropovic also has one for these, and again will need an PC3.

All very different routes. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Full Zard on my R and love it, I did add a PCIII and dyno tuned it, just to get the full thrust out of it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys...Basically, I don't RACE anymore, so it's just street- ridden...I'ld like a better sound than stock, performance gains a 2nd (like what street rider uses ALL available power on these things on the street)...

Obviously price is a factor, as my parents forgot to put the "Silver Spoon" into my mouth when I was born(-knew they forgot something) & it ain't like Uncle Sam is paying much these days....

The above Zard system confused me by their pricing...below is from the link mentioned above....

"The Ducati 749/999 systems:
Retail: $2399.50
Sale Price: $2,750.00
List Price: $2,850.00
You Save: $100.00

How is retail $2399.50, but the sales price is more than the retail? Strange....I'm looking @ something for UNDER $1k....whether it be 1/2, 3/4, just can, etc...I just HATE the stock sound, as the clutch is the loudest thing on the bike!

I've have Termi on the Repsol....have Leo Vince on the RSVR, so familiar with those...I'm just NOT willing to shell out $1500-$2800 for a pipe, $300 for a PCIII, $300-$500 for an install, etc...I don't have a spare $4k laying around with nothing to do....hello.....can you say recession.....? If I had a spare $4k, I'ld B looking into getting the wife a 2008 Ninja 250 to learn on...
:abduct:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go with Mivv!

I love mine. Here's a link plus photos of it on my 999.

Mivv exhaust

·
Registered
525 Posts
Moto

Yeah, check those price/discriptions for those systems, they don't sound right at all. A full TI/TI system from Zard is about $3400, so if that's what you have at $2750 then that is a excellent price! Even better at $2399.

But if it is Stainless/Ti -and I think it is by the way you have it listed-at $2399, then your a bit high, as the Zard cataloge has them for $2299.95

Someone probably mis-typed or something, happens.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DPG....Thanks, that's about all I'm willing to spend...I'm such a cheap-ass!!
more like...poor-ass....lolol

That looks nice...Thanks again!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found this clip on a cored exhaust....sounds superb....IF I cored it, does anyone know a shop/people who do this? Would I need a new ECU or a PCIII for a cored exhaust? What would it cost to core?
Thanks for helping me in my never-ending thread....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-UyhAHKaI&feature=related

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Found this clip on a cored exhaust....sounds superb....IF I cored it, does anyone know a shop/people who do this? Would I need a new ECU or a PCIII for a cored exhaust? What would it cost to core?
Thanks for helping me in my never-ending thread....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-UyhAHKaI&feature=related
Contact these guys: http://www.mjsperformance.com/
He charges about $550, and gives $100 back for you stock muffler if you exchange it. And I have a factory mid-pipe that has the cat taken out for sale to match with it (in classifieds section) hehe :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks...think I', gonna buy a cored/exchange mine...buy your cat-less...then what? A PCIII or ECU...?
What else to complete this job....

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey Jon,

Told you you'd get some good help over here! All the best with that new bike!

John
(JAndrewG on the AF1 site)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definately so....Thanks for the help!!
:p

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Thanks...think I', gonna buy a cored/exchange mine...buy your cat-less...then what? A PCIII or ECU...?
What else to complete this job....

Thanks for your help!
Yeah, just get a PCIII and download a map from their website. That will give you a good map so you don't have to run down and get a $300 tune right away. It will hold you off for a while and your bike will run fine off of one of their maps. Just let me know when you want one of the mid-pipes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do DPG....I leave for temporary duty (30d) on Wed to Ft. Polk, LA. so it'll have to be when I get back 1st week of Sept...

I'm still on the fence...kinda, as the 999r exhaust on Ebay looks good...It's off a 2005 or 2006 though. Not sure it'll fit...
I'm just wondering if it is basically the same as a cored exhaust will sound...
frickin decisions! I'm soooo new to Ducati...I need to figure something out soon though!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Will do DPG....I leave for temporary duty (30d) on Wed to Ft. Polk, LA. so it'll have to be when I get back 1st week of Sept...

I'm still on the fence...kinda, as the 999r exhaust on Ebay looks good...It's off a 2005 or 2006 though. Not sure it'll fit...
I'm just wondering if it is basically the same as a cored exhaust will sound...
frickin decisions! I'm soooo new to Ducati...I need to figure something out soon though!
You need to find out if it is from a Euro bike. If it is from the states, it is not what you think it is. I still the think that the cored exhaust would be louder than the race R exhaust from 03.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, thanks for the tip...I just want smething a little stronger sounding vs. stock....But coring will be the best I think. I think I'll just pm you for your PayPal info & get the mid...hold onto it for now until winter (1-1.5 months from now) & send out the pipe in the winter when I'm not riding...Get the PCIII & get a map...I take it I could re-attach everything + install the PCIII myself? Not looking @ handing a Ducati shop $400.00 for minimal work (if I can do it myself).....
Thanks again DPG for ALL your help/advice....

PS- Would be Paypal-ing next week....please pm with ttl to:
Fort Dum,NY 13603

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts