Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
StavesacredarK said:
Please post as much info on the project as well take pics if you can as you go through the rewire, best of luck!

will do...

from what I can tell so far from this very well made kit... is that I won't actually do any solder/heat shrinking as its all very plug and play..

its the freakin' mounting of all that crap... but... i'll be sure and note what I come across...

I live out of the city without much street lights so having decent lamps is crucial to year round riding for me...

·
Registered
372 Posts
is this for the 998? is the there not 2 different type of bulbs? did they mix match it for you?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes... 998... H1 and H3... the quality of the wires and connectors is impressive in this kit...

that's all I know, other than the scary sticker on the ignitor... "23kV!"

lord have mercy!

·
Registered
372 Posts
wow, thats is good they mix and match the set for you, most palces will only sell the same bulbs in pairs

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AzCamel said:
wow, thats is good they mix and match the set for you, most palces will only sell the same bulbs in pairs

I was sold on their prdoucts because that they had a Ducati on their site helping to market the lights... they seem to be very knowledgable... but they are brits... they take motoring much more seriously than the gajillions of asshats that can jump into this sport with a check from Daddy vs. the UK's graduated licensing and exorbitant prices for bikes, gas, insurance and plates... but of course this is fodder for another thread...

:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Xenon HID was the best mod I did to my bike. Its a huge difference! My kit doesn't look that complitcated though. I had 1) ballast 2) ignitor 3) one HID bulb 4) bracket (so it'll fit into the stock headlight bulb area. It took like 15 minutes to do, pretty easy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i did my HID retrofit a few weeks ago, haven't finished completely but it came out decent for me.

i added a lil kick to the headlights while i was in there also, ended up replacing factory projector with a mercedes bi-xenon projector (hi-low beam), and fitted a audi s4 valeo projector in the highbeam side. So now dual projectors. Low beam has 2 projectors on, left side is yellow HID right side is 6k super blue, when i flick the high beam the left side kicks in higher beam pattern. everything is in and working i just gotta get off my ass and finish fiberglassing the backside of the lights.

sorry to hi-jack.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seemed like a rare mod, as not many at all people posted here or in archives to show you what to buy or how to do it... Had I known it was a common mod, I would have been less anxious and asked more questions... thank you lurkers... ha...

anyway...

I got them installed, everything works, I need to take it for a spin but its 1:30am and with my loud-azz cans, i'm not gonna put the sleepy neighborhood on the grid of WSBK, USA tonight...

I spent 1 hour before dinner, removing the fairings, battery, and scoping out where to route wires and mount ignitors and ballasts for BOTH low and hi beams.

After dinner, I started right away... 3 hrs later, everything is buttoned up and all is well...

Here is a final pic tonight, but with everyone coming out of the woodworks with xenon upgrades, I guess a detailed how to isn't really necessary...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Careful where you point that thing, you'll blind someone. :)

It's very bright.

Do you happen to know how the stock wiring system handles all that extra wattage? Will it drain your battery at idle?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once the gas is ignited, the ignitors are off and each light maximum draws 3amps to stay lit... or 6 total amps... the fuse stock from Ducati is 15amps so I assume the max it would really have drawn in stock configuration is 12amps, based on the 80% rule my EEs use at work. So I would say 1/2 the draw... and the headlights don't get as hot due to the Xenon technology, THIS IS NOT like adding a 100w bulb versus the 55w stock setup... less heat... as I believe its pushing 35W...

These turn on blue, but warm up to bright white/yellow... HIDonline recommended this setup for the 998's h1/h3 setup and said if I'm looking to see, this will do it...

I took pics along the way and will show y'all where I mounted everything... I would say on scale of 10 in the bolt on mods world, with 1 being a stick on tank protector and 10 being installing an 851 kit in a 748, this mod was a 4 due to patience of routing wiring and being creative mounting all the hardware... nothing difficult, just time consuming, and delicate due to the nature of what's being installed...

The install of wires is very self explanatory when you receive your kit, other than that its just intalling modules and routing wires... obviously the location of the installation of the modules that I chose is going to be specific to a 998...

More pics coming...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like RocketJohn said HID's will initially draw extra current to ignite the ballasts, but once up to operating temp draw less than conventional halogens (hence why a few hybrid cars use them, i.e. honda insight, toyota prius).

Main reason i had to do retro fit on mines was because even with HID's on the bike the beam pattern was horrible. I'll get some pics up of my setup once i get the bike back from the dealer for some service.

here's some pics of mine pre-retrofit

keep in mind that pics are extremely overexposed so its not as bright as it looks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought the same kit 6 months ago. It's been awesome on the 749. Let me know if you run into problems.

Hope your installation goes well.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I moved the left ballast away from the starter/header area, as it was blazing hot when I got home today after my ride in 95F hot weather... I moved it up higher in the frame with 3 zip ties cushioned on the rubber wire holding straps... all of the other components were warm but no where near hot to touch...

Will edit those pics to show my fellow 998 owners locations for the install...

the lights work great at night... my non-Duc friends are upset I didn't take a before pic of the light patterns, but my point was to help y'all with the installation, and taking pics of beam patterns and light dispersion is not my forte, nor my pocket digi cam's forte...

:D

·
Registered
372 Posts
duey said:
i did my HID retrofit a few weeks ago, haven't finished completely but it came out decent for me.

i added a lil kick to the headlights while i was in there also, ended up replacing factory projector with a mercedes bi-xenon projector (hi-low beam), and fitted a audi s4 valeo projector in the highbeam side. So now dual projectors. Low beam has 2 projectors on, left side is yellow HID right side is 6k super blue, when i flick the high beam the left side kicks in higher beam pattern. everything is in and working i just gotta get off my ass and finish fiberglassing the backside of the lights.

sorry to hi-jack.
duey,

i'd really like to see your work. i was going to do a full/proper hid retrofit when i converted my bike last year but i couldn't justify the extra time, work, and money involved when compared to the limited amount of night riding i do. so far the plug and play kit has been more than enough improvement for my few nocturnal excursions but i'm still really interested in seeing the work from someone that's completed this project the right way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts