Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1995 900sscr 2015 Diavel Dark
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling pretty dumb here. I can't get the 2 bolts out that hold the kickstand bracket to the engine case. 6 or 8mm (I'm at home now and can't remember) hex is not getting a good bite. Strange thing for me is there seems to be a torq/star beyond the hex.
Is this a tamper proof bolt?
Do I need a special tool?
Is it just a mf?
Lefty loosey right?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Be CAREFUL!!! Unless you’ve owned since new and know for sure that no one has mucked about with the side stand bolts.

They’ve been known to break the boss on the crank case or strip the threads due to the bolts getting loose.

Mine were quite tight but it didn’t seem that anyone had been into mine. There may be loctite on the bolts to keep them from working loose or worse. Try a bit of heat first and hope that red loctite wasn’t used on them.

Hopefully you aren’t dealing with a case where the threads stripped out and someone used JB Weld on the job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be CAREFUL!!! Unless you’ve owned since new and know for sure that no one has mucked about with the side stand bolts.

They’ve been known to break the boss on the crank case or strip the threads due to the bolts getting loose.

Mine were quite tight but it didn’t seem that anyone had been into mine. There may be loctite on the bolts to keep them from working loose or worse. Try a bit of heat first and hope that red loctite wasn’t used on them.

Hopefully you aren’t dealing with a case where the threads stripped out and someone used JB Weld on the job.
Well shit,

·
Registered
132 Posts
The bolts will definitely need replacing. the looks like torx is actuallt a pretty crap broach job on the hex. as the allen key wont now bite take a torx socket that is just too big and drive it in it will bite on the soft head, vise grips or multis as Belter suggests to be doubly sure.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Once again, a probable job for a “ hammer driver “. Drive a torx into it, then hit it hard with a hammer. If you don’t own a hammer driver, buy one. They’re cheap and will save your ass on jobs like this.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
As mentioned you have the oem original pos bolts. The Allen does not fit in very deep so you really get one shot to use one to get them out intact.
Heat the case
sharp well fitting (tight) Allen hammered into place ( also helps shocking fastener).
hand impact- NOT air or battery type.
Don't mess around follow these steps and hit is hard and 90% of the time they come right out unless someone has already rounded the Allen out.

If you care down the road these bolts will be used to determine original/correct bikes as they so often were replaced because... well almost anything else is better function wise. That said if you can get these out without destroying them put them in your tool box and save them for the day you are restoring the bike. until them swap them to some better hardware that is much more durable and red loctite those into place.

I normally would NOT red loctite the oem bolts into place on your model as you need to remove the side stand mount to remove the side cover. You do need to keep them tight or risk case damage if they are not capable of being kept tight replace them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heard crystal clear. Off to the races. I'll check back with the outcome.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm hoping that's not going to be my case
Not a big deal unless you really wanna save the OEM bolts.....and yours are past saving. Once the head is off, the rest should spin out by hand....unless you have the fore mentioned issues of loctite or worse. Even then, a pair of vice grips would sort that. Or a small pipe wrench.

Personally, I’d replace them with something a bit tougher and safety wire them rather than use any kind of locking compound. Just my $.02

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had exactly this too. I welded a bolt onto the head of the screw and it came out pretty easily, a compination of the heat from welding and being able to put a socket on the bolt head. Doing it this way gets the heat exactly where it needs to be, I'm always wary of people saying " heat the case" because what's that extra 'loose" heat that spreads through the surrounding area doing to other bits ( bearings etc )?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Success! 3-in-one penetrant, heatgun for a few minutes and a pipe wrench broke the rear bolt loose but with some heavy marring. Couldn't get the wrench on the forward bolt so I smacked the bracket in the counterclockwise direction with a mallet a couple times and that did the trick.
Thanks for the help everyone, cheers and happy quarantining.
20200402_104853.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
I'm always wary of people saying " heat the case" because what's that extra 'loose" heat that spreads through the surrounding area doing to other bits ( bearings etc )?
Great point! it should be noted you are heating the cases up to about running temperature nothing more. Think about it this is some of the reason these bolts come loose in the first place.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I removed my side stand today getting ready to pull the alternator cover --I put heat to the bolts for a few min., then gave the bolts 2 good hits with the hand held impact, then they broke loose with the 6 mm socket --Easy no headaches and no buggered bolts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I removed my side stand today getting ready to pull the alternator cover --I put heat to the bolts for a few min., then gave the bolts 2 good hits with the hand held impact, then they broke loose with the 6 mm socket --Easy no headaches and no buggered bolts
Rub it in our face why don't you.
Ha
If we could all be so lucky.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts