Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've always wanted a Ben Bostrom 998S and I'm in a good spot in my life to pick one up. The problem is there aren't any nice examples for sale... So I figured I'd give it a shot to see if anyone was considering selling or knows someone who is.

Thanks,
Evan

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Check out iconicmotorbikes.com They have had, do have, or will have one and it will be stellar! Great dudes...I wish I had money to spend, but I just go into their shop to see the killer bikes
I'm just curious but have you ever bought anything from them?

I have a good friend who bought several bikes, including some of the highly hyped zero mile Ducatis, from them and he said something very different.

If you had a positive purchase experience I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
ewww. that's disappointing to hear! I am just a fan of cool bikes, they are close to me and have a lot of cool bikes! The things Adam (the main guy I think) says about Mecum and stuff make sense, I've seen those auctions. I see all the posts of them working on the bikes, and I've been in the shop and talked to them about some of my own needs. I know Adam is quite hyper, but based on everything I see and read I thought they were pretty top in that arena! They certainly have some valuable bikes, they dig deep into NR750s and shit.

People in this arena would be VERY picky, and they should be. So I'm curious about your friend, not asking to slam anyone. Were his bikes ok? They seem pretty honest...

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
ewww. that's disappointing to hear! I am just a fan of cool bikes, they are close to me and have a lot of cool bikes! The things Adam (the main guy I think) says about Mecum and stuff make sense, I've seen those auctions. I see all the posts of them working on the bikes, and I've been in the shop and talked to them about some of my own needs. I know Adam is quite hyper, but based on everything I see and read I thought they were pretty top in that arena! They certainly have some valuable bikes, they dig deep into NR750s and shit.

People in this arena would be VERY picky, and they should be. So I'm curious about your friend, not asking to slam anyone. Were his bikes ok? They seem pretty honest...
I don't think he's particularly picky. The issues he had were very basic issues that should have never been issues with bikes that were sold to a customer. Anyway, he has a very nice collection of bikes and Adam even posted my friend's collection on a couple of occasions. Anyways, he's not the only one I know who bought bikes from Iconic but I don't need to go into the feedback from the others (who are pretty knowledgable collectors). You were just so enthusiastic about how great they are so I was hoping that you had a positive transaction experience with them.

I am always looking to add to my collection so I try to get as much first hand info as possible from people who actually transact with the people who seem to have the right stuff. Iconic has gotten a couple of bikes that were on my radar but once I dug a little deeper and did my research I had to walk away. I am hoping to hear more positive buying experiences from knowledge buyers so I can have some confidence.

At this point, I will probably stick to the first hand info people that I know who have transacted with him and not the social media hype machine.

EDIT: Actually I need to amend that. I do have one friend who bought some bikes from them and said he would do it again. He’s the only one but, like the others, he did buy more than one bike so that’s something.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Fair enough, and good info all around. They were growing super fast, so maybe shit got out of hand. I don't know, they sell nothing I can afford. I hope to buy a daily ride ZX7 someday, lol, but that's not what you are talking about. For the types of bikes they sell, I would expect a flawless experience. I can totally see how they could be a "chaotic" operation in terms of some things though

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here's a 712 mile Bostrom on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/283696011643
Ends on Sunday.

My Iconic experience. I visited there and found everyone very enthusiastic and a nice collection. (I feel) that their pricing strategy is to list about 10% high - fair enough.
If you look at how long many of the bikes have been for sale (many well over 12 months), then I'm sure that I'm not the only one with that opinion.
I tried really hard to buy the '75 750SS they have on consignment. Zero wiggle room on price. Not even $1. Shame because I still have the $$ waiting in the bank, but $75k is above current market value in my opinion (and again, no one else has brought it in over a year).

I suppose it's a great place to sell your bike if you're a collector who doesn't want to sell your bike. ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys very much and thank you for the Ebay link, i swear I checked there and nothing popped up. I have contacted the seller on ebay.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you guys very much and thank you for the Ebay link, i swear I checked there and nothing popped up. I have contacted the seller on ebay.
When I was at Bellissimoto a couple months ago, they had a Bostrom. Check with them
Good luck with your search

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, so I spoke to the owner of the bike on ebay/craigslist. The bike is HIGHLY modified including a high compression motor (Pistons and Crank). I am not super knowledgeable on the motors on these bikes and am nervous about that. He told me the original owner was just a high dollar guy who told a shop to put the best of the best or everything on the bike (mag swingarm, triple tree, Akrapovic Exhaust, carbon fiber everything, upgraded radiator/fan, etc, etc, etc. My question is, how reliable are these with all that stuff... The cosmetic stuff can be changed back, the motor not so much so I'm a bit worried about it...

·
Registered
806 Posts
good question for whomever built the engine.appears to be the org. crank+rods in the tote,must be a major upgrade.maybe email the local Duc dealers???

·
Registered
4 Posts
  1. I'm just curious but have you ever bought anything from them?

I have a good friend who bought several bikes, including some of the highly hyped zero mile Ducatis, from them and he said something very different.

If you had a positive purchase experience I would love to hear about it.
    I know the “buyer that complained” about us and he’s an awful person. He’s the only client we fired and will never be allowed to buy or sell from iconic again although he asked numerous times lately. Slandering us after all we did for him is icing on the cake. Had 5 followers tell me about these comments. All I can say is...make your own judgement. We try our best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a 712 mile Bostrom on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/283696011643
Ends on Sunday.

My Iconic experience. I visited there and found everyone very enthusiastic and a nice collection. (I feel) that their pricing strategy is to list about 10% high - fair enough.
If you look at how long many of the bikes have been for sale (many well over 12 months), then I'm sure that I'm not the only one with that opinion.
I tried really hard to buy the '75 750SS they have on consignment. Zero wiggle room on price. Not even $1. Shame because I still have the $$ waiting in the bank, but $75k is above current market value in my opinion (and again, no one else has brought it in over a year).

I suppose it's a great place to sell your bike if you're a collector who doesn't want to sell your bike. ;-)
Very sorry we couldn’t come to a deal. Please understand it’s a consignment bike and he won’t budge on price. We’re very transparent with our mark ups and consignment fees but that bike is in our museum so the owner said he’d just assume keep it on display unless someone wants to pay what he’s into it for. If we owned the bike, it would be a different story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fair enough, and good info all around. They were growing super fast, so maybe shit got out of hand. I don't know, they sell nothing I can afford. I hope to buy a daily ride ZX7 someday, lol, but that's not what you are talking about. For the types of bikes they sell, I would expect a flawless experience. I can totally see how they could be a "chaotic" operation in terms of some things though
If you ever want to swing by and say hello. I suspect you’ll think differently. We do our best to keep the lowest mark ups so we can get people the right deals but as with anything. You can’t make everyone happy. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you ever want to swing by and say hello. I suspect you’ll think differently. We do our best to keep the lowest mark ups so we can get people the right deals but as with anything. You can’t make everyone happy. Best of luck in your search.
Good on ya'll for posting up! I'm a fan, just thought maybe with your speedy growth maybe one dude had some missed phone calls or something!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks my friend. We just run a small staff and working on adding more people but there's not a lot of profit in bikes and that's ok because if we were in it for the money, we'd do something else. We truly do give our best effort but there are certain entitled people that no one can please. One of the reasons I don't participate is Forums is there are too many to follow, not enough time and you're not given the opportunity to respond. All good though, we'll just keep trying our best In the matter of the individual above, we took 0 mark up on a very pricey bike as I thought it was top dollar and he was paying enough. I was even stuck with the freight cost and lost $600 on that. I'll see him face to face again one day and I'd bet the tune will change. Sorry that I'm even letting this jerk still get under my skin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts