Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 996 needs a playmate, and I need a project...

Looking (hoping) to find a 70's era bevel 750/860/900 (no singles) - GT/GTS/Darmah. Would prefer to have an SS, but know they're too much $$$.

Just starting to look - so turn key or basket case or anything in between considered.

Goal is to build a 750 GT "esque" cafe bike...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Any roundcase twin ('74 or earlier) is going to be expensive. A non-runner that cost $1000 six years ago will bring $5k these days. Once you get it, you can plan on spending $10k or more rebuilding it (depending on what all it needs of course). On the other hand, there is a certain New Mexico resident who will likely chime in (Hi Tom!) and tell you it can be done for half that... it all depends on what you want to do with it and what kind of talent you have.

Squarecase bikes are more affordable... but parts for them still aren't cheap.

I have no idea what your skill level is or what your resources (tools and money) are but in general it's best to find the nicest bike you can afford and go from there. You may also want to go to micapeak.com and subscribe to the bevelheads list. I posted a message today and had a reply less than half an hour later with possible leads on what I was looking for...

Sorry to all the old timers who have seen these pics a hundred times before, but... For reference, I bought this six or seven years ago for $700:

At the time it was a good deal, today I expect that bike would be around the $5k mark as it was basically all there, albeit ratty.

After over 3 years of work and roughly $10k later it looked more like this (and still isn't "done"). About half of that was in the engine (parts, labor, and tools for the rebuild)

After putting this on the road I turned to single cylinder bikes and found you can spend just about as much money on them as the twins if you're not careful! It's a disease I tell ya... a sickness...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All appreciated - and 95% known to me. Including the threads on your build - gorgeous bike! Very close to what I'm swinging for...
Are you selling? :D

I always start with the best base I can but with prices launching, I'm thinking a good runner may be just out of reach.
I have good resources (tools / shop) and have built many bikes. Most were modern area road racers, with a few sport bikes and Porsches along the way.

Actually what I'm wanting is just a nice comfortable rider with a little flair. So an SS and / or roundcase isn't really as desireable - but if a cheap green frame shows up in the cross hairs, well....

And yes I'm on BevelHeads

I'm supposing a Darmah or GTS will be the likely target, then I'll decide which way to go with the upgrades - did I mention I have no intention of keeping it totally stock? No concours for me - has to be a rider - else what's the point?

·
Registered
540 Posts
DD,
I fully agree with your comments. However, I like to take a slightly different approach.. i prefer cheaper motorcycles that are complete but need some engine work done so that I can get the engine completely gone through. I am looking at 2 SFC's, one with the engine apart and the other a runner.I am leaning toward the non runner as I wouldn't want to pull the running motor apart. Sounds a bit silly but in the end I know what I've got.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
DD,
I fully agree with your comments. However, I like to take a slightly different approach.. i prefer cheaper motorcycles that are complete but need some engine work done so that I can get the engine completely gone through.
I hear ya. I think my track record shows I don't practice what I preach! ;) That's just the opinion I have for people I don't know... if you have the skills/resources, the project part is half the fun (or more!) so basket cases and the like can be fun (notice I didn't say "good deals"). But on some other sites I'm on, you get people asking about projects who have more aspiration than experience...

You know the one, the guy who wants to build a bitchin "cafe bike".... but in his next post he mentions he's 19, has never owned a bike, lives in an apartment with no garage, has a hacksaw and an adjustable wrench, and doesn't really want to waste money on a shop manual... but his neighbor has offered him an old Honda 175 or maybe it's a 750 (he can't remember) that used to run great but has been sitting outside under a tarp for the past 20 years so the carbs probably need to be cleaned... but the neighbor only wants $200 so that would leave about $400 in his budget for mods...

That is obviously NOT the case here, I'm just sayin. if you don't have the whole story it's best to be conservative.

FWIW the last 4 projects I've undertaken have started with bikes that don't run. Well actually one of them started with a spare engine (that didn't run) and a frame that needed the back half to be cut off. Two others were complete, but I'm ditching most of the stock parts so I may as well have started with a frame and engine... but now I'm rambling...

Getting back on subject... good luck with your search Mitch. Good to hear you're going into it with your eyes wide open - there's a lot better chance the project will see the light of day that way!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts