Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a kill switch for my 1998 748L. There is nothing wrong with mine, other than sun fade, so I am looking to change up. Anyone have a good looking switch for sale?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Have you tried letting the plastic parts sit in vasoline? (disassembled obviously...) It probably won't bring the red back to the kill button, but it should bring the black back to the rest of it. Long story short, it re-hydrates the oils in the plastics, and works pretty well too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried letting the plastic parts sit in vasoline? (disassembled obviously...) It probably won't bring the red back to the kill button, but it should bring the black back to the rest of it. Long story short, it re-hydrates the oils in the plastics, and works pretty well too.
No, but I did heat the left side with a heat gun, and wiped on some Back To Black. Worked wonders, and looks almost brand new. Unfortunately, while the black housing of the right side looks great, the white kill switch looks horrible. Pigment totally gone. 😞
Thank you for the tip, though! I wish that were the case with mine.

·
Excel Addict
5,131 Posts
No, but I did heat the left side with a heat gun, and wiped on some Back To Black. Worked wonders, and looks almost brand new. Unfortunately, while the black housing of the right side looks great, the white kill switch looks horrible. Pigment totally gone. 😞
I have seen Youtube vids about using food colouring to dye plastics.

Food colouring plus hot water in a saucepan plus part to be dyed.
Never done it so do not know how you would control the final colour.

Also do not know how you would resurrect your white switch.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen Youtube vids about using food colouring to dye plastics.

Food colouring plus hot water in a saucepan plus part to be dyed.
Never done it so do not know how you would control the final colour.

Also do not know how you would resurrect your white switch.
humm... interesting. I might give that a try. Thanks for the tip.
It just has really bad sun fade, from where the previous owner did not take very good care of it. Sort of more an off-white/peach color. Perhaps not a bad hue for the wall of a girl's bedroom, but definitely not for a motorcycle. 😉

20190711_102942_1562855550127.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,575 Posts
You can expand your search. ST2, ST4, 748, 916, 996, 998 and the SSie series are the same. Cables may be longer in some cases, but plug and play. Found a brand new one on eBay with an ST2 part number, cable was a little long, but no issues.

Here's one, maybe a bit pricey, but new. This seller has a ton of new Ducati parts, bought from him several times. He often discounts items, you just need to keep an eye out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Ducati-748-right-handlebar-switch-start-button-kill-switch-65040062A-B/362625054632?hash=item546e2337a8:g:qOAAAOSwDXxcufoL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts