Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I know this is a crazy long shot but if anybody has a lead on a bevel drive SS in any condition from a box of parts to a fully complete and original runner please let me know.
I will consider any condition but prefer a project bike.
Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
oy that was fast! Congrats! I can't wait to hear about this find and your progress in bringing her back to life!

·
Bon Vivant
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well done. Why didn't you include 1975 in your scope?
Ian
Actually a 1975 would have been my first choice. The omission was an oversight but the value of those first square case bikes with the imola tank and boranni wheels is probably out of my budget. The fact is all of these Bevel SS's are going up in value so fast I'm surprised I found one that I could afford at all. I paid more for this bike than I've ever paid for a vintage bike but I do think they are still appreciating so I think I'll be OK.

I bought an 82 - historically they haven't been the first choice of the genre but 2 things helped me see the light - first they are the most developed and probably the most reliable of the group. This article in classic bike magazine seems to echo that idea. https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-italian-motorcycles/ducati-900ss-zm0z12mazbea

And secondly it is the rarest of the 900s at only 335 units sold world wide. (some years the 750 had fewer numbers but at that point the 750's had taken a back seat to the 900)

As far as I know all of the 82's were painted silver. The PO was going to paint this bike black and gold. I love the black and gold but I want the colors to be correct so it will go back to silver. 81 and 82 bikes all had a black frame so I'm OK there.

I've been putting the bike together over the last couple of days to check fitment. After that is done I have a small amount of wiring to finish up and then I'm going to get it running. Once it's running and tuned I'll paint the body work and re-assemble it. Everything on the bike seems to be in pretty decent shape. I'll have to change a few things to make it right but nothing too major. I plan on riding it - at least a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
26,211 Posts
“Crack the throttle and a cacophonous bellow erupts from the pipes, gusts of exhaust assailing onlookers’ faces.”

Nice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts