Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a decent deal on this front wheel.
I was planning on running a 330 mm 1098 rotor but the offset was wrong.

then I tried swapping rotors from left to right and the offset was still slightly off.

I had some 999 15mm offset rotors and going out on a limb, they fit and are centered.

is there anything wrong with running a rotor like this? It’s bidirectional and I made sure to use the left side one flipped for a -15mm offset.

I can swap back to the original setup pretty quick, but weight reduction has me reluctant:

forged aluminum with tire:

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Need some information and clarification on what you have and what you want to achieve.
gee whiz dude, are you blind? It's clearly off of a Citroen ... or maybe a wheelbarrow? ... oh wait, I got it! ... it's off of a 3 cylinder delivery van! Yup, 100%.

;)

.. seriously, OP ... we cannot read minds nor do any of us possess a crystal ball ... helpful folks around here need more information if you expect them to be able to help you in any meaningful manner.

Bonzai !!!!! :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you can fit both 15mm offset discs, albeit one flipped, both calipers on the froks fit on the discs with no issues, then it looks like you need zero offset discs.

You would need to look at LH side wheel spacer length to centralize the wheel.

Some year Ducatis, monster etc use 10mm discs.

If your new wheel is from a pani/v4 these are 15mm wider between disc mounting faces.

·
Registered
565 Posts
A flipped disc would mean the wheel is not centralised between the forks and would be out of line with the rear wheel

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm not an engineer but, by the OP's description, the brake discs are at different distances from the centre-line of the wheel and, if the calipers are mounted as standard, the front wheel is not in line with the rear wheel. The question is, 'Is this OK?'.
I kinda don't think it is.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm not an engineer but, by the OP's description, the brake discs are at different distances from the centre-line of the wheel and, if the calipers are mounted as standard, the front wheel is not in line with the rear wheel. The question is, 'Is this OK?'.
I kinda don't think it is.
Not having access to discs. Flipping a disc would not give a true 15mm offset.

As the offset is now the distance from the new mounting face to the new edge on the outside of the disc. Prob around -4mm

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, it is a sf848 front end with a chavez or checka wsbk 1098r front wheel.
I was using a 1098 rotor, hmevo forged wheel, and an m4 caliper with spacers.

I thought the wheels had the same measurements, but he was probably using ohlins forks.

the only way I could get it to fit center is to run a small spacer on the left.

And for the non psychic, apologies, I thought the picture would show what I meant, but here’s the mark on the wheel just so you know EXACTLY what I’m working with:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m only running one rotor with an m4 caliper and a 14mm master, so it’s a fully floating disk that will get the necessary heat redundancies. It’s on a 350lb max wet bike, so I’m not worried about it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The axle is protruding from the fork because that’s how kaemna makes them. The wheel is centered.
I figured by the bikes in my sig, it would obviously be from a xx98 generation bike, so apologies all around.

rather ride a wheelbarrow than ride with some of you dudes though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Gotcha,

The sbk front wheel comes from a bike that has wider track yokes, same as panigale, so the distance between the disc mounting faces are wider.

This is shown by having to use 7.5mm spacers behind the discs when using say a 1098 front wheel in a 1299 etc.

Although the hub is wider, the sbk used 10mm offset discs, due to the 108mm calipers having a different offset too.

There is no difference in the 1098 999 offset. The only difference is diameter.

If your set up is central and clears spokes etc, I see no harm in your set up.

I would look to put the bobbins the other way, so it looks right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts