Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Race 1
Wow
Well - there was a thread about this race and apparently it was moved or whatever.
Unfortunately there was no info on what/where that happened, so posting my last comments again.
As unfair as it is, confected competition makes for great entertainment but it’s not racing. Only 19 starters. Interesting.
How good was Bautista?

How good was Melandri?

How absolutely crap were PI, WSBK etc. promoting this event?

If we were not fans, we would not have known there was a world class event happening this weekend right here in Oz.

Edit - @xracer - it only takes two bikes to make a race!
At least there is some new blood and old blood in there. Also Honda are now back. Not that that matters to me, but great racing and hanging for tomorrow.
Unfortunately not there, but at least the WSBK video pass we pay for does not block us out like it did last year and it was a "local" race.
On that subject, I am really pissed off that the no spoiler from last year did not let us watch Supersport via no spoiler.
It used to but WTF?
Dorna hopefully you have your act together as above.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,368 Posts
Well - there was a thread about this race and apparently it was moved or whatever.
Unfortunately there was no info on what/where that happened, so posting my last comments again.
It was just locked up. That's all. It was for pre-season stuff according to the title and then actual race comments started coming in with spoilers.

I find it a little underwhelming that there are only 18 full time WSBK racers on the grid. Where are the rest of the entrants? No one wanted to field a team with Baz or Reading or Fores or Bradley Ray? Come on. BSB for the win.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I thought this was a great race, eve though you hardly ever saw a Ducati... 15 second gap, wow! It was great to see so many Yamahas challenging, and the BMW doing well right out of the gate. Once they BMW gets the top end sorted out it should really be a contender. Looking forward to see if Bautista can make his way to the front tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I thought this was a great race, eve though you hardly ever saw a Ducati... 15 second gap, wow!
I second that opinion. Obviously it was the first WSBK race for both the V4R and for Bautista. I had high hopes that the V4R would do well and for Bautista also. Both far exceeded any hopes or expectations.

I can't remember the last time Jonny Rea was bested by 15 seconds. Also, watching the dice between Sykes and Ratzgatzuoglu was quite entertaining. Melandri still has something in him...catch Lowes at the end was also entertaining.

Good to see Camier and Haslam doing well before their crashes too.

I kind of have a difficult time with Gagne not having a ride this year. Not that he set the world on fire or anything but Kiyonari isn't doing so either and he has ages more experience than Gagne does.

Looking forward to race 2 & 3 and WSS too. Really tight at the top in qualifying there and lots of good dices going on further back.

Reactions: Punch

·
10,368 Posts
I kind of have a difficult time with Gagne not having a ride this year. Not that he set the world on fire or anything but Kiyonari isn't doing so either and he has ages more experience than Gagne does.
Gagne is a victim of timing. US road racing is in the doldrums right now and he was saddled with that horrible Honda the past few years. I can't see anyone on a Honda being competitive until HRC comes back in force. Not this half-assed thing they're doing now. Plus, Kiyonari is the right nationality for them.

I wouldn't mind seeing KTM in there, too. They have the budget available, but that would require an actual production superbike. At least BMW is stepping up. Wonder if Harley Davidson wants in? Ha! I crack myself up.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Bautista has been absolutely dominant all weekend, Davies not so much, apparently he's still carrying an injury...

At the track, with paddock passes the boss and i have had a blast the last three days, almost every team has been super approachable with every rider i saw happy to give his time for a photo, a chat or an autograph. Alvaro is very quiet, almost shy, and Jordi Torres and Tom Sykes are the complete opposite, none were too busy, well, maybe they were but they paused to give their time anyway.
With the exception of Rea and Haslam, saw them on the grid and the podium but not in the paddock at all, not once, not even on the pit walk, where most of the other riders were meeting the fans.
Fans, you know, the ones who pay to see them race, the numbers which attract the big sponsors and paychecks...... Oh well, never liked green much anyway.

Oh yeah, there was plenty of whining about the size of Bautista and the HP of the V4 and how it's "not fair", Pah! the HP wasn't an issue last year......

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have already read comments on other sites that the V4R is a cheater bike, not in the spirit of the rules. On the contrary, it is the type of bike the rules not only allow but encourage.

·
10,368 Posts
It's been noted that Melandri did the double last year, but was nowhere in the championship. It's a little too early to make any predictions. Let's see how things progress, but Ducati could lose their RPM limit if this continues. The other Ducatis aren't really factors so far. So is it Bautista or Philip Island or the bike?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Bautista needs to learn to sandbag until the last 5 laps.

But based on the results of the rest of the Ducati’s I’d have to say Bautista and his team were outstanding!

And good on Haslam. Happy to see him give Rae a good run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's all three for Bautista. Everyone must remember that Alvaro finished forth last year on the Works Ducati of Lorenzo at Phillip Island and only 4 seconds back. He is very, very fast there.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It's all three for Bautista. Everyone must remember that Alvaro finished forth last year on the Works Ducati of Lorenzo at Phillip Island and only 4 seconds back. He is very, very fast there.
Bingo. He finished well in every race last year aboard a satellite Ducati GP18 except when he filled in for Lorenzo. He's no slouch. He's also a former 125 GP World Champ which tends to be forgotten also.

Take a look at who he beat for that title. It will tell you all you need to know about how fast he is on a reasonably competitive bike. Give him a very competitive one and he's off at the front. Just like he was at PI.

He's fond of Buriram too so I expect more of the same there. Maybe not as drastic but still ahead by a considerable margin. After that is anyone's guess. ....sean

Reactions: xracer

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
AB rode a GP17 except when he filled in for JL. That was the only time he rode a GP18.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
AB rode a GP17 except when he filled in for JL. That was the only time he rode a GP18.
That makes his finishes even more impressive then, no?

This guy raced against and beat Marco Simoncelli in 250s. In his 125 title year he beat Mika Kallio, Bradley Smith, Pasini, Bradl, Corsi, Simón, Iannone, Cortese and Terol. He finished ahead of Pedrosa when they were both in the Movistar Cup. Alberto Puig hand picked him to go to 125s in the Spanish Championship.

He's no slouch. He's won against or beaten some quality competition. He may not have fared as well in MotoGP but he got on the box 3 times in his career there. That takes some doing against the likes of Lorenzo, Rossi, Pedrosa and Stoner.

I couldn't say his performance is all down to the new V4R. He was the only one of the 4 to show any sort of major speed against the likes of Haslam and Rea. Head to head at that in the 10 lap sprint with no one holding back. Given his previous record in GPs, maybe I'm just not as surprised as some.....sean

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Holy shit Batman! I was glad to see Davies gain a bit. Good racing for 2nd-4th. I was glad to see some racing for a change!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Bautista will be a quality signing for Ducati, he's fast, always has been and Iwannaduc is right, he has beaten some quality competition, and sometimes quite comprehensively, obviously his 125cc championship shows how good he was, his performance the last couple of years on outdated customer/satellite bikes in GP show how competitive he still is.

The V4 was built within the rules, it's only a "Cheater" bike to those that want to see another brand win or dominate, no one begrudges Rea his 4 wins on the trot but it was inevitable that another factory would develop something to beat the Kawasaki, i'm just glad it was Ducati. It does have the highest RPM limit at 16,300 but the rules say they can change it if it doesn't appear to behave like the homologated bike, just like they did with the ZX10R the last couple of years. And if they do i don't think it will matter as much as if it was still a twin cylinder bike. They may not be as dominatnt all year like KRT have but we're in for a cracker season i think with some seriously good racing, and no more reverse grid stupidity, YAY

1 - 17 of 17 Posts