Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered why the frames on the Ducati bikes in WSBK are different from the production bikes, when the rules state that frames are not to be modified... there is a crossbar on the trellis frame just under the tank on the race bikes that is not present on the production bikes ... can anyone help me understand why it is there (I am guessing lateral rigidity?) and why they have allowed it?

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
I can't say that for certain but, I believe that the rule does not say a "production part" but more like "production based" or dimensions as to the engine, swingarm, steering locations and angles. The tube you mention changes none of the frame geomtery so, is allowed. This kind of "issue" is not new. There is also the fact that the customer race bikes have this feature as well to homologate the modification.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SP3 - thanks for your response.

Here is how the "no modified frame" rule is presented on the WSBK website:

http://www.worldsbk.com/

Go to: EXTRA CONTENTS

Select: DIFFERENCES SBK/SST from menu.

In this text, it states:

What technical differences are there between a Superbike and MotoGP bike?
The World Superbike Championship is the ultimate competition for motorcycles derived from standard production models. The frame cannot be modified.

Then go to the bottom of the same page.

At the bottom, there is a link to SUMMARY OF CHARACTERISTICS

On this page, a table of what is allowed and not allowed is summarized ... on the FRAME row, all bikes are marked as "AS HOMOLOGATED" ... which (I take) is another phrase for "cannot be modified."

What CAN be modified is marked accordingly.

My guess:
  • there are exceptions to frame modification they are leaving out from the website
  • DUCATI must have in fact produced at least 150* of these 999R's with special frames
  • some other shenanigans I don't know about :D
* Minimum manufacturing volumes for Superbike are as follows: Manufacturers who manufacture more than 100,000 motorcycles a year must produce at least 500 of the bikes for which they are requesting homologation, while manufacturers who manufacture between 50,000 and 100,000 need only produce 250, and those who manufacture less than 50,000 need only produce 150.

·
Registered
248 Posts
homologated - Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

Homologate \Ho*mol"o*gate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Homologated;
p. pr. & vb. n. Homologating.] [LL. homologatus, p. p. of
homologare to homologate; Gr. ? to assent, agree. See
Homologous.] (Civ. Law)
To approve; to allow; to confirm; as, the court homologates a
proceeding. --Wheaton.
[1913 Webster]

ho·mol·o·gate (hə-mŏl'ə-gāt', hō-) pronunciation
tr.v., -gat·ed, -gat·ing, -gates.

To approve, especially to confirm officially.

[Medieval Latin homologāre, homologāt-, from Greek homologein, to agree, from homologos, agreeing. See homologous.]
ho·mol'o·ga'tion n.

I would think that the FIM has approved the frame as you see it used in WSBK, so they have 'homologated' that version of the frame and the team can't modifiy it after this official confirmation.

Stephanie

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
dresda said:
I would think that the FIM has approved the frame as you see it used in WSBK, so they have 'homologated' that version of the frame and the team can't modifiy it after this official confirmation.

Stephanie
Thanks Dresda - my understanding is that the approval (homologation) process considers the entire bike (not just certain parts) that is produced in enough numbers to satisfy a minimum number produced and made available for purchase (among a few other key rules such as displacement).

This would ensure that the crop of bikes used in WSBK very closely represent production-based bikes that people can buy... which is the foundation of WSBK.

After "homologation" of the entire bike ... they further go through a process of listing, piece by piece, the characteristics that are "allowed for modification" .... while the rest is naturally marked "as homologated."

According to the rules, Ducati must have produced a minumum of 150 of these bikes that include this special frame. Since these frames are nowhere to be seen on production bikes, I am beginning to think that perhaps they have allowed this modification to the homologated bike's frame (that would be the original production 999R) under an exceptional circumstance "in the interest of safety" (which is mentioned in the rules list too)....

...This would be my understanding of what I have read, and my assumption that the frame is modified and allowed for "safety reasons" is still just a best guess ... and so therefore I can be wrong.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If it were a safty issue you would think that Ducati would put it on all the 999's and 749's. Is that bar present on the AMA Ducati's?

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Keep in mind that the model used for homologation may be the 999RS not the R. Although, again, I cannot be sure of this. The RS has this tube. In WSB, customers start with an RS as it does not come with any road equipment. It is a race bike first whereas an R is a street bike first.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just found a link to the list of homologated bikes on the FIM page:

http://www.fim.ch/en/default.asp?item=26#

They list the R model.

DUCATI 996 R (H2) JAN 01 - end
DUCATI 998 R (H2) JAN 02 - end
DUCATI 999 R (H4) JAN 03 - end (+ optional fuel injection instrument /
instrument d’injection de carburant en option)
DUCATI 999 R (H4) JAN 05 – present (+ optional fuel injection
instrument / instrument d’injection de
carburant en option)
Just think of how different a WRC car is from the road cars. I just had a peek at the lists of homologated cars on the FIA site. I guess roll cages etc are added for safety reasons and don't have to appear in the road version of the cars<g>.

Stephanie

·
28,622 Posts
Every manufacterer, well the "Racing Five" anyhoo, offer Kit parts for their superbike platforms. Everything from trasmissions to heads to FI stuff. And frames. These parts are generally impossible for us mortals to get - 95% of the dealers don't even know they exhist. This stuff is more meant for pro level "private" teams. Your Ten Kates and Hotbodies teams, for example.

The bikes have to be homoglated, but the parts do not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.