Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
comrade moderator
26,973 Posts
After reading all the racing press and watching the way things are going down in both WSBK and MotoGP, as far as Ducati is concerned, I'll bet you'll see Nicky in WSBK on the "All New 1199" next year, so Ducati can market the hell out of that bike in their biggest and most important market. It will be an "Althea" bike, but it will be a fully factory supported bike. Nicky has a good career going with Ducati and Ducati has a good thing in Nicky...they won't part ways.

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next year is up in the air.

The major concern now is that chunk of lead that is killing Checa's bike.

Why should the Ducati be penalized with more weight? It's the least powerful bike on the grid, and is currently down 20km/h compared to the BMW and Ape.

All the Duc ever had going for it was handling and tire management.

That extra 200cc's is bullshit anyway, it's only to make the engine last longer so that the teams don't spend as much money. Maybe the other bikes should be penalized for having twice the number of cylinders, double the valve area, and higher rev limits.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
comrade moderator
26,973 Posts
Ok...nice discussing this with you. Have a nice rant. :rolleyes:

On your terms: They can't win this year, because next year they'll have the all new, all conquering 1199 Factory Bike out there with none other than Nicky Hayden riding, and they'll make sure the rules are changed for next year so they can steam roll the field. They've probably already bought the magazine and website ad space... so this year is a place-holder...a gift to BMW/Aprilia. Why? Because they can't win every friggen year. Anymore.

Make sense now?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I watched race 1 today and it was awesome seeing Biaggi and Melandri dook it out for the lead most of the race. It was very entertaining. IF Ben and Nicky are released from their contracts which looks like it might just happen, It would be nice to see them both in WSBK. Also Colin should have skipped over that CRT junk and went strait to WSBK.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
After reading all the racing press and watching the way things are going down in both WSBK and MotoGP, as far as Ducati is concerned, I'll bet you'll see Nicky in WSBK on the "All New 1199" next year, so Ducati can market the hell out of that bike in their biggest and most important market. It will be an "Althea" bike, but it will be a fully factory supported bike. Nicky has a good career going with Ducati and Ducati has a good thing in Nicky...they won't part ways.
Makes too much sense, Chuck. Surely won't happen.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The major concern now is that chunk of lead that is killing Checa's bike.

It is'nt lead tho', to achieve the weight they refitted the battery and starter, plus a heavier exhaust (standard I believe), both give advantages, the batt/starter in the event of an off, easily enables rejoining the race, the exhaust, thicker pipe wall retains more heat, better gas scavenging, so not all bad, eh!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Both Melandri and Biaggi blew through the track record set last year by Checa - by over half a second. Plus Melandri hit 329 km on the straight. Checa might be hampered by the extra 6 kilos penalty, but it's the power and improvement the other bikes/teams have made that is really in play here. I doubt Ducati is sending much effort in improvements to a platform they'll be retiring at year's end (if they haven't done so in effect, already)

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...nice discussing this with you. Have a nice rant. :rolleyes:

On your terms: They can't win this year, because next year they'll have the all new, all conquering 1199 Factory Bike out there with none other than Nicky Hayden riding, and they'll make sure the rules are changed for next year so they can steam roll the field. They've probably already bought the magazine and website ad space... so this year is a place-holder...a gift to BMW/Aprilia. Why? Because they can't win every friggen year. Anymore.

Make sense now?

I hate you so much :mad:

:)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both Melandri and Biaggi blew through the track record set last year by Checa - by over half a second. Plus Melandri hit 329 km on the straight. Checa might be hampered by the extra 6 kilos penalty, but it's the power and improvement the other bikes/teams have made that is really in play here. I doubt Ducati is sending much effort in improvements to a platform they'll be retiring at year's end (if they haven't done so in effect, already)
Exactly, since the other bikes have all gone forward then why are they so afraid of the old Ducati?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ducati should homologate the roadgoing d16rr and use that in WSBK.
I actually believed the D16rr was produced in part as a threat to get the 1098 accepted in WSBK. It would have been great fun to see it unleashed.

But Ducati decided, for good or for ill, that it is a builder of twins, not fours. Too bad, since a v-4 that prices comparable to the top level RSV4 would be sweet.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I watched race 1 today and it was awesome seeing Biaggi and Melandri dook it out for the lead most of the race. It was very entertaining. IF Ben and Nicky are released from their contracts which looks like it might just happen, It would be nice to see them both in WSBK. Also Colin should have skipped over that CRT junk and went strait to WSBK.
I was hoping to see Biaggi and Checa challenge each other for the title. IMO Melandri is a dirty reckless competitor and someone needs to knock him on his arse a few more times.
I'm not so sure that the 1198R is at that much of a disadvantage. "IF" Checa wouldn't have choked in a few races, choosen the wrong tire, been taken out by Melandri, etc., he would be right there with Biaggi. Even if the 1198R was getting beat straight up, no one in the Ducati factory.....ah....I mean Althea Team is going to bitch. They need to be careful where to pick their battles, one battle being getting bigger TB allowed for next year.
Hayden's defintely out Ducati's MotoGP team, IMO he deserves, if he wants, another shot with the Repsol Honda factory effort. I think on the right machine Hayden could win another. However I wouldn't mind seeing him in the AMA on a Panigale....but not WSBK.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Finally got to see both races. They did not disappoint. If I was Hayden I would go WSBK. MotoGP looks bleak. There really is only 4 competitive bikes. IMO WSBK is the top show with Moto2 a close second. Italian media saying Checa to BMW next season. I wonder if his test ride on the 1199 is the reason?

·
Registered
514 Posts
^We'll just have to wait and see....

So far the 1199 hasn't been the all dominating game changer it was touted to be.
But did anyone really expect it to come in and dominate in the first 1-2 months right out of the box?

I have a feeling this bike is going to be another one that requires a very certain kind of riding style to win on it, kind of like how it took Checa to win on the "old" 1198r and Stoner to ride the GP machine.

There was a team in BSB that switched from the Panigale to I believe Kawasaki after 2 races.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
^We'll just have to wait and see....

So far the 1199 hasn't been the all dominating game changer it was touted to be.
Let's face it when Ducati brings out a new model for example the 999R, they said it was the closest thing to a road going WSBK you could buy. Then the 1098R came out and they said the same....neither of these 2 bikes are remotely close to their roadgoing siblings. Each one would get beat like a rented mule on the street by any of the recent Jap I4s. So the rag testing is a moot point, who knows how the 1199 factor bike will fare on the WSBK scene. It "seems" to have the HP to tangle with the BMW, ZX and Aprilia, if it has the handling it could be a game changer much like the 999 was when it was introduced in 2003. It is apparent that it is sensitive to set-up as it requires a specific tire brand and size. (as per Ducati) Not sure how that will play out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts