Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my dirtbike chainlube (PJ1 Black) on my multi O ring chain. I am thinking that was a mistake? I did about 1200 kms last weekend and was noticing some chain noise by the end of the ride. The chain was tight before and not a new chain, and now it was very loose. I tensioned it back to a proper distance and noticed that it looks rusty. I didn't hit any rain. Is this just from the wrong lube? Can I just apply an Oring lube now to help fix the problem?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would do a chain measurement and see if the chain was streched past acceptable tolerances-the manual will show the accepted range. Also how many miles all up is a consideration not mentioned in your email. Check for a kink in the links-sign of a tried chain.
If in speck de grease and reapply road product and enjoy your ride

·
Registered
131 Posts
I really doubt that it damaged your chain. I'm sure whatever you used it was better than no lube at all. Clean and relube and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just afraid that the penetrating spray I used might have striped the grease out of the orings. Even so, I doubted that would cause that much damage. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I thought dirt bikes used o-rings also. Can't imagine a chain lube for dirt riding would wash grease from inside a chain.

500 miles(800k) is my upper limit for applying lube to the chain (especially if high speeds are involved). I'd carry a small can with you and give it a spritz during a gas stop. I plan on lubing every 300 miles.

Dirt bike chain lube does have different properities, but it should provide some lubrication, so I doubt you've ruined your chain, maybe a little accelerated wear and tear, even that's hypothetical.

bob

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, 1200 km is about. . .600 mi? I'd think that irrespective of the lube used, the chain would need a cleaning, lubing, and adjustment by then, ESPECIALLY if you're cranking accellerating hard or running high rates of speed. I waited 600 mi from my last chain adjustment and it was quite loose and quite dirty

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
1200 kilometers is close to 750 miles, long time to go w/o chain maintenance.

With a centerstand, chain maintenance on the road is a snap. I thought the multi had a centerstand?

bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
We use o-ring chains in MX all the time. There's no issue of it stripping any grease from the chain. I think the biggest difference between the lube you would use for an o-ring chain and a regular chain is the weight of the lube.

I thought the multi had a centerstand?

bob
It's an option, not standard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts