Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone know the size wrench for brake bleeders? Guessing 8 or 9 mm.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't have the correct open end wrench in my toolbox. Had some standard size wrenches that were a bit small. Whatever the metric equivalent to about 7/16 is what it looks to be.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would use an adjustable crescent wrench before using a standard sized wrench because you might do some rounding!...or just go to Advanced Auto Parts and buy a cheap chrome vandium metric open end wrench set for like $20....how can you own a Duc and not own metric wrenches?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bled my rear brake recently, which is when I discovered I didn't have the wrench. Had to get by with an adjustable wrench since I needed the fluid swapped right then, night before a track day. I do own a good supply of metric and standard tools. However, the metric wrenches I have only go down to like 11mm. Sockets have been working fine for bolts. But not when you have a clear hose over the brake bleeder. :)

I plan on changing out the front and clutch fluids now and will head down to Advanced Auto and get a 8 and 9 mm open end wrench unless they are reasonable at Sears.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sam...as an idea I saw a buddy of mine do....he uses one of those mighty vac speed bleeders....and he uses a tall socket over the bleeder that he specifically cut a hole in with a dremel tool for the tube to come out of the side of the middle of the socket and hold the hose somewhat in place and still be able to one handed ratchet the bleeder open and shut....just food for thought also...call it a special tool made for non high impact usage!

·
Registered
291 Posts
grendels_arm said:
I do own a good supply of metric and standard tools. However, the metric wrenches I have only go down to like 11mm. Sockets have been working fine for bolts. But not when you have a clear hose over the brake bleeder. :)
After rounding a bleeder or two and seeing a bunch of them on cars/bikes, you might want to consider a flare nut wrench. It is truly designed for this application.

Here is an example...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_...5367&group_ID=570&store=IntBrowse&dir=catalog

...and you can buy a full Craftsman set at Sears for roughly the cost of one SnapOn wrench:)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Zoom and fraz. Both good ideas. The socket cutting idea, if I had a dremel tool. Maybe I could get a gas station to do it. The flare wrench is a nice idea as well. Why use open end wrenches for anything when you have those flare wrenches? They seem like they are far better.

If only it was metric I'd get these maybe.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93137

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For future reference. My rear brake bleeder is 10mm. The front single pin stock Brembos are 11mm. The stock Brembo master and stock original slave(pre 2001) are 8mm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts