Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

... Yeah, i did some serious damage to my bike and now i'm debating beetween fixing it or try to sell it for whatever they offer me it's worth

The reason is, the mechanic i took it, and have it inspected, told me that i need a new speedometer, (tachometer)... The thing got destroyed in the fall so i have to get a new one/used. The damn thing you can't just buy the spedometer alone, you have to buy the hole thing that comes with it

Spedometer, ignition switch, key, computer, gas cap... And the cost for all that (used) is around $1500-1800 :eek:

He said, that you can't just buy the top part because the bike just wont start because the system won't reconized the new spedometer :mad:

But he also said, that he was surprised that after the crash, and the spedometer was blown to bits, the bike did start... And i drove it home for my last ride (worst ride ever of my life!):(

So, can someone give me an idea about this being true?... Is there another way to fix this?

Because believe me, that is not the only thing that got ruined, to put the bike on the road again, according to the mechanic it is going to cost me around $3500 just for parts + labor

And i really don't have that kind of money. I just bought this bike in october after moving my way up since 2008, suzuki, yamaha, ktm, duc

If somebody can point me in the right direction i would be very grateful

Thanks

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I think I remember a member posting they could re-flash an ECU to remove the immobilizer. TomTom maybe?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry about the wreck, but if you rode it home it couldn't be that bad.

Yeah, the electronics are all tied together. Paying someone else to fix it can be expensive. Many times a "small accident" will total the bike.

You didn't mention what year or type of hyper you have. 08 standard or 12evoSP. Do the math and decide.

Seems to me to be the perfect opportunity to learn how to take apart and rebuild a bike.

You can get a new bike or fix this one, as long as you're still breathing it's all good.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I wrecked my hyper in May 2011. I had lots of little tiny bits of damage all over, but nothing huge... the screen on the dash was cracked though.

My hyper has so much engine work and special parts (magnesium wheels, special subframe etc) that I thought I wouldn't turn it into insurance and just try to fix it. That was a VERY expensive decision, almost $5k expensive plus some amazing generosity and time and help from friends on this forum, vs just the $250 insurance deductible. I'm not saying I regret it as I now have probably one of the most trick hypers out there and I love the shit out of my bike, but if I knew then what I know now about how long the journey was to get my hyper back on the road... i would NOT have done it.

Lets talk about the dash... you're fucked. I've listened to countless bits of advice which turned out to be wrong. Here is the truth. Your ecu, dash and key are all locked together. it CANNOT be reflashed, if even a tiny part of your dash doesn't work, you have to repurchase the whole thing. For example, I was able through some tough work to replace the lcd screen, only to find that some small solenoid in the dash somehow broke so my blinkers don't work. Schematics for the electronics aren't available despite talking to all kinds of Ducati insiders, so now, despite all this time and $, i have no blinkers and no way to work my blinkers. Putting your bike back together, every little screw you have to order, is way more expensive than you imagined.

Anyway, don't want to be so negative... but unless your bike has some really really special parts, or you're so attached to the VIN number... hand the keys to the insurance adjuster, and buy yourself a new hyper. Anyway, here's my frankenstein machine... love her like a child. :D

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
^^^ Alex's bike is a special case as you can plainly see. To give you the best answer we can, we will need a bit more info. Year/model, approximate value before crash (consider what you paid for it since it seems relatively new to you, any mods, mileage, that sort of thing), list of what is damaged, insurance status.

Keep in mind that there are a few trustworthy salvage sites for ducs. Some are even sponsors here. $3,500 is a good chunk of change and it might be worth it to do some of the work yourself. If you are hesitant about that, this place is a good resource as well. There are ways around the ecu/dashboard issue, most will require the elimination of the immobilizer.

Don't be too discouraged, you were able to ride it home. Heck that's more than some can say just heading out for a quick trip and having the ducati gremlins catch them up. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
On the older hypers, you can remove the immobilizer from the system if I recall correctly, and then it should be able to work with a DP ECU. You can do this yourself with a Ducatidiag license which costs €100 and $15 for the cables. I'm not sure if this will work though, but you can ask JP on his ducatidiag website. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to Ducati ECU's and programming and responds pretty quick most of the time.

That way you can just get a cheap stock ECU, flash it to DP ECU spec and if you're lucky work it with a new dash. But I recommend hitting up JP on his forum.

ducatidiag :: Connexion

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

First of all, thanks to each and one of you for responding me, giving me your good advise and showing your empathy with my bad moment

Ok, i made it home but belive me, it was because somehow the bike started, without the dashboard, that was completly cracked and useless (if somone can explain this, since supposedly it's not working and sending any codes or whatever it is???)

The back wheel was bend, so i lost air, and 2 miles before i made home it was completly flat, the handlebars were out off place, like, to go straight, i had to turn the handbars 30 degrees to the right... Anyways...

model/ year: 2008 ducati hypermotard 1100s

miles: 4.800

cost: 8.500 (3.600 miles at the time of purchase)

mods: full double termignioni exhaust with new ECU, streering damper, other then that pretty much stock but in excelente condition almost mint... It was

damages: dashboard, rear wheel, front fairing with mounting, both handguards, and alot of small stuff scratch, tank cover, levers, brake and clutch reservoir containers, rear subframe (not critical but it can noticed from behind...mmm... And thats just cosmetic stuff

Mechanically?... Seems to be ok since i rode it home, but you never know until you start riding again... I guess

insurance: don't ask... I know...

I think the most hard part it's to get that dashboard issue solved, and little by little start getting the other parts

For now, start doing my research, i just wish i had more time to do this

Thanks for cheering me up, i need it, everybody else is telling me to quit riding and with nobody to guide me i'm about to listen to those people

Pd: sorry if my writing is not that good, it's my second language

Cheers!

·
comrade moderator
27,412 Posts
Thanks for cheering me up, i need it, everybody else is telling me to quit riding and with nobody to guide me i'm about to listen to those people
Don't listen to them!! How many of them do things as cool as you do, like ride (and crash) Hypers??

Some people live and some, usually those who want to tell you how to live your life, merely exist.

Live life!!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Your going to be in for a chunk of change to replace any bits if you have to go through Ducati.

I recieved an email the other day from a company that parts out wrecked bikes. They were in the process of parting out a Hyper and I am pretty sure they have the parts you need. Moto something but I am pretty sure it is not MOTOWHEELS. Anyone remember the name of the company that parts out sweet Ducati's? I cringe everytime I get an email from them as they usually have nice bikes that I would love to buy.

Problem, I deleted the email and I forgot the name of the company. I bought some levers from them when I biffed my Hyper at a track day.

Bars, levers and plastics cost me $1,500 and that stupid plastic side panel was half of the cost.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Check out Gotham Cycles. They part out Ducatis and carry new bits at reasonable prices.

They just might be your new best friends.

Don't be bummed out, this is an opportunity to become a better motorcyclist.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Check out Gotham Cycles. They part out Ducatis and carry new bits at reasonable prices.

They just might be your new best friends.

Don't be bummed out, this is an opportunity to become a better motorcyclist.
Gotham is reasonable and I have dealt with them (even got stuff for cheaper through talking to them ) .
This place has it all to and is a site sponsor
Used Motorcycle Parts, Ducati, BMW, Triumph best wishes getting her back in shape .

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I bought my bars from oemcycles for really cheap (compared to OEM and other manufacturers). They're the TAG Alius bars and are basically almost similar to the OEM bars, just a bit lighter and more rigid.

I found a great deal on some handguards on ebay since the stock ones suck anyway and break easily.

Levers I bought on ebay as well for ~$30, some cheap imitation pazzo's but they look the part and actually look better and feel better than my friends' real pazzo's.

The only expensive part I haven't had money for replacing yet are the sidepanels, but that's just something esthetical. I've got some Duc(ati)tape holding it together now and it's actually doing a pretty good job :D .

Don't listen to them!! How many of them do things as cool as you do, like ride (and crash) Hypers??

Some people live and some, usually those who want to tell you how to live your life, merely exist.

Live life!!!

Indeed, cannot agree with it more. What's life worth if there's no fun, risk or reward? You can either live your life and enjoy it, or just be alive, take no risks and fall from the stairs and die.

Yes, I've had worse injuries falling from stairs, or just from walking and falling ( don't ask :rolleyes: ) than from motorcycle, motorcross, or any other extreme sports.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hi,

I had a worst crash than yours , damage wise, with no past mechanical skills I still decided to fix it myself, living outside the US made it harder but still I bought all I needed from US used parts companies, the only problem was the dash, my bike also kept running fine, the display on the dash was broken though, I found a defected dash at a dealer in Germany while on a business trip, I paid top money for it, took it a part, replaced my LCD with the new one and tataaaa! I was done. I don't think u need to buy the whole set, just a new virgin dash that will be programmed to your key will do, you can find it for 1000$ or less. I am not 100% sure though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

Hey guys!, i really appreciate your support, thanks

Update:

Ok, after a month and a half since the crash, i'm feeling much better right now, so in the last two weeks i been working on the most important parts that i need

-Dashboard
-rear wheel
-front damage (fairing, hand guards, mounting)

Dashboard:
I did what i have should done from the very beginning... Call my ducati dealer... Instead of trying some lame mechanic that had my bike for more than 2 weeks and did nothing, and charge me $75 for it

At ducati, they told me all i wanted to hear... "Just replace the dash with a new one (untouch) and we will program it"... They really were surprised that the bike still starts, even after removing the damaged dashboard

So i bought the dash with them for $901 and that is including the programming of the dash with the two keys

rear wheel:
I've been doing some research, and i found this place "supamags" they said they can fix the wheel, i check their website and it looks like they have what it takes to get it right to where the wheel was, so i'm going to take the wheel to them probably after i finish with the dash

front damage:
The front fairing is a pain in the but, the damn thing new is to expensive for me right now ($800), so, since the damage is not that horrible, a friend of mine is going to help me fix it, and to make it look better i will put a new design, that will help cover the diference in the finish

Again, thank you so much guys... And yeah! I will keep riding, is just that our ego is so hurt after you hit the floor that makes you think twice if you want to continue riding

·
Registered
136 Posts
front damage:
The front fairing is a pain in the but, the damn thing new is to expensive for me right now ($800), so, since the damage is not that horrible, a friend of mine is going to help me fix it, and to make it look better i will put a new design, that will help cover the diference in the finish
You can easily get decent quality carbon part for a lot less than $800.
And it'll look better too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can easily get decent quality carbon part for a lot less than $800.
And it'll look better too.
Yeah!... I seen those, they are not bad, is definetly something i will consider too

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts