Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago, I was about 100kms away from my final destination (in a 3000 km x-continental trek) when a stupid old fart rear-ended me while I was doing a LH turn.

Fortunately, I walked away without a scratch. Romania has the worst drivers I have ever seen.

Anyways, I was hit in the left rear (swingarm took the impact) and the bike was thrown on its RH side, scraping away for about 30m on the pavement. A crash bobbin saved the bike from being totaled. I now have 10 kEuros to try to fix it.

Main questions I am seeking advise on;

1) The impact site (like a bruise) can be seen on the swingarm. No damage or bending is apparent on the linkages/hinges suspension. Should the swingarm be changed?

2) The frame has some scrapes on the RH side. More worrying, is the seat no no longer comes on/off as before. To me this is an indication of a bent frame.
What can be done to check this?

Lots of other damage. I intend to get the local mechanic to dis-assemble the frame and swingarm for closer inspction. Appreciate any knowledge that can be shared.

I have decided to repair. I have a broken body that I had to work on to heal. This Monster is now more like me. I trust you can understand;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
AFAIK you should not disassemble anything connected to the frame which provides rigidity, until the bike has been put on a jig to be checked. Because as soon as you undo the frame bolts from the engine the frame could disort further and become irrepairable.

I believe when staightening a frame they will heat it assembled between readings to try and get it to "Relax" before using force to straighten it. Assuming its bent of course, but definately get it checked on a proper jig.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you have insurance? won't the insurance company declare it totaled?
Yes I have insurance. A techie estimated 13 kEuro damage, but the Dutch adjuster didn't want to travel to Romania to see the damage himself. I agreed to a 10kEuro settlement.

AFAIK you should not disassemble anything connected to the frame which provides rigidity, until the bike has been put on a jig to be checked. Because as soon as you undo the frame bolts from the engine the frame could disort further and become irrepairable.

I believe when staightening a frame they will heat it assembled between readings to try and get it to "Relax" before using force to straighten it. Assuming its bent of course, but definately get it checked on a proper jig.
AFAIC, if removing the frame from the engine makes it worse, then I want to change out the frame.

Comments and advise appreciated:).

·
Registered
156 Posts
You only need a new frame if it can not be straightened.

Usually they look for 2.5 degrees of head tube deflection anymore than this the strength of the frame will be compromised (this is more for and aluminium frame), since you don't have one take it to have it checked first before ordering a new frame. I also hear a new frame will come blank no numbers so it may be a problem trying to sell it.

My new 1100S has paint defects where you can see the frame through the paint I was told they will replace the frame but it will come with out numbers and in the UK it is prohibited to stamp old numbers on a new frame.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You only need a new frame if it can not be straightened.

Usually they look for 2.5 degrees of head tube deflection anymore than this the strength of the frame will be compromised (this is more for and aluminium frame), since you don't have one take it to have it checked first before ordering a new frame. I also hear a new frame will come blank no numbers so it may be a problem trying to sell it.

This sounds like what I'm looking for. Can you describe a bit more by what is meant by "head tube deflection". I'm thinking it means deflection of the tube the steering column is attached to?

A sketch describing it would be nice :)

Edit. Upon further thought, the above-mentioned deflection probably relevant to front-end collisions where the steering tube is subject to the impact force of the front forks. In my case, I was left-rear ended. My seat has difficulty coming on/off, and this is why I am concerned about the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Termi S4R to become a Termi S4RS++

Good news. Frame is not bent. Confirmed by complete removal and re-assembly. Likewise with swingarm.

Saves a whole lot of repair cash. The front Showas will get converted with Ohlins internals, and a new Ohlins will go on in the rear.

A set of new BST's located (on sale) and are on their way, along with a new slipper clutch.

This in addition to about 2 dozen other repairs replacements.

Yahoo. My broken Monster will be reborn into something better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts