Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

After such a great ride yesterday in the NJ pine barrons all the way to the Whitehouse Hoagie shop in AC and right before i got to my house in Yardley, PA...i went of a big bump and thought nothing of it until i got home...

As you can see by teh pictures, i guess the shock needs a stronger spring or something..since the tire and some aftermarket hugger(came with bike) touched my license plate holder with locks on each side for helmets and slashed the tire and bent all the way back while also ripping off the right side mount..damn:eek:

SO i gues i am going to need a new under carriage plastic tray (anyone got a used one?) and a stronger shock (anyone suggest an idea?):(

The bike was fantastic all dayat all speeds and all kinds of roads..but i did not expect this. I thought ST's were fit for some weight...I am 6'2 250lb..

Thanks for your help guys and gayls. :)

csimon

I am having uploading pictures...it keeps saying there are errors and it is less than file size..any suggestions?

·
7,733 Posts
Even if the spring was new, at 250 plus gear, a stiffer one would be indicated over the stock one. What type of bike is it? If you have a stock Ohlins, it can be resprung/rebuilt. That's a lot of travel in any case, is there any other damage to the linkages or the wheel? Not being able to see your pics, I wonder if the after market license plate bracket is partially to blame for some of the damage. Rick at Cogent Dynamics should be able to help you out with your shock needs. Good luck. :)

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
I have read that Ducatis are set up for a mythical 160 lb. Italian rider. I had a heavier rear spring installed in my 02 and 04 ST4s.

It will be easier to answer your questions if you add the year and model of your bike to your profile or signature line.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry,

I forgot to add that i have a 2004 ST4S ABS Senna color. I had turned up the pre load and after load before the ride, but i gues with even no bags or additional weight the high flying we did allowed me to bottom out.

Does Ducati make a stronger or spring or do i have to purchase it and have it put on?

Thanks for your help peeps.

csimon

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
You will have to buy a new spring that is correct for your setup. NCRick re-sprung my ohlins for me and I am really happy with the results. You can buy a spring and install it yourself but it may be easier to pull the shock and have the spring installed. Actually you may want to have your shock serviced while it is off the bike- recharge the gas, and change/ beed the shock oil.

·
Registered
887 Posts
As you can see by teh pictures, i guess the shock needs a stronger spring or something..since the tire and some aftermarket hugger(came with bike) touched my license plate holder with locks on each side for helmets and slashed the tire and bent all the way back while also ripping off the right side mount..damn:eek:
Even if your shock is undersprung, it should not allow contact between any of the hard parts. That is because the design is such that the shock can bottom out without the type of damage you experienced.

Also, adding pre-load has a minimal effect on resistance to bottoming. If you have more weight than is ideal for your spring the proper temporary solution is to increase compression damping (if your damper is adjustable).

At your weight, a spring with a higher rate is indicated but you still need to solve your clearance problems because the proper spring and damping will still allow your shock to use it's full range of travel.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Hi Guys,
Are you talking about a ST with all the luggage loaded and two up!, Surely they're made to cope with much more than a mere 250lbs :) I'm around 230 and do not have my settings maxed out, in fact i once set it harder and went back to slightly harder than stock all round and love the suspension and handling. I do not ride with panniers very often though i'm sure it would be OK. mine's a 2000 st4
My 0.02$
Brad
Happy that autumn is back and the weather is bearable again :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts