Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my 01 748S home Thursday evening then decided I had to drive it a little longer.

Headed up North to Route 30. Was following a car into the turn lane and out from under the car comes THIS:

Didn't have time to stop. Didn't have time to avoid it. Hit that fugger straight on. I thought I smashed my front wheel. It bounced back up and out. Then my rear went in. Hit HARD. Bounced back up into my ass and bruised my tailbone. THAT caused the front wheel that was coming down to smack down HARD and skid. The rear wheel then came down and skidded as well, fishtailing just a bit. Not enough for me to lose control but enough for me to almost sh!t my pants.

I kept the sonofabitch up. I am not sure how. I hit HARD and the second hard hit of the rear wheel almost REALLY screwed me up. I finally stopped up ahead for the light and looked to my rear. There was a pickup behind me and the guy gave me a thumbs up! I just shook my head.

I don't know if you can tell the size of that depression or not but the inlet lid should give you an idea of the size and diameter of it. I swear my wheel could fit IN that divet if the tire was removed, laying down of course.

No damage as far as I can tell. None. Tires didn't blow, lose pressure etc.

Shocks don't seem to be blown. Wiped the forks clean when I got home and have kept an eye on them to see if they are leaking at all.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
You are most fortunate. Our accidents appear to be similar only yours had the better outcome. Based on what they saw at the scene, my buddies think my recent accident was caused by me hitting a rock, fishtailing, then high siding.

When riding, I alwys try to leave more space between me and the car ahead of me, as a car can staddle road hazards a bike cannot.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
we get a LOT of potholes here in Little Rock.. when i follow cars I am either far enough behind (when following center lane) to see and react to what comes out from under the cars, or I ride on the left or right side of the lane where I can see ahead past the car.

·
Registered
920 Posts
SuicideHz :eek::eek:

Personally I'd call the police dispatch or even 911 to get your conversation recorded (use your cell phone for documentation).

Some cities are much better than others at quickly fixing things like this. Who knows why that hole is there. You will potentially save the city a boatload of $ (lawsuit), not to mention the poor soul that wipes out the next time.

Please make the call. Fred

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
When riding, I alwys try to leave more space between me and the car ahead of me, as a car can staddle road hazards a bike cannot.
we get a LOT of potholes here in Little Rock.. when i follow cars I am either far enough behind (when following center lane) to see and react to what comes out from under the cars, or I ride on the left or right side of the lane where I can see ahead past the car.
That seems like the lesson learned here.

In Europe (Western), the roads are very good and potholes like that are relatively rare. I keep my distance to mitigate the sudden braking and lane changing :eek:that often happens.

I may be moving to Eastren Europe where such hazards are more likely. I'm gonna continue keeping a 3 second distance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I learned a few years ago not to ride in the middle of the lane if at all possible.

1. Objects in the middle of the lane are ignored by cars but can take out a bike (I hit a 4x4 piece of wood that all the cars in front of me simply drove over with no concern.)
2. If there's a big dip or bump on the right or left of the lane, you see the car's movement as it hits it and can take appropriate action.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely place myself in the same place I am when driving the Cherokee- right in the tiretracks of the car in front of me. That way, if they move, I know to move too. I also don't follow closely but in this case, we were all slowing down. Also, I just just moved into that lane and was on my way to the right to make that turn. I almost didn't!!

I am thinking it IS a sinkhole. There's another structure over to the right and they ran a short pipe to service this newer inlet. I work in Civil Enigineering and Surveying, I'll be calling the Merrillville streets department Monday to let them know they have a broken pipe and it almost broke my a$$ too!

I consider myself lucky and probably skilled enough to have pulled that save out of my bruised A$$!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm glad to here that you are OK, with a little more speed that could have been a lot more painful.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah! I went to a couple of friends' place in Lincoln Park Friday for the usual poker night. It was awkward telling Lake that my ass hurt. You see, he and David live together if you know what I mena. My gf was a bit surprised I told them an worded in such a way as to give them "ideas" lol but I'm funny like that. No, not "funny" like that, just have a sense of humor!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ouch

I hit a similar hole last summer, ended up replacing the front rim as it screwed it up pretty bad. Did not loose pressure and as you mentioned, it was quite the ride! Glad you seem to have made out ok damage wise.:eek:

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Lucky guy, good job to keep it up!

It's amazing that our tax dollars go to pay for upkeep of the roads and yet cities can be so negligent to just let something like that go without even posting a warning sign. If you would have gone down, as so many riders have when hitting unmarked potholes, you have absolutely no recourse against the city or state.

Another good reason no to follow the car in front of you too closely.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Drove my 01 748S home Thursday evening then decided I had to drive it a little longer.

Headed up North to Route 30. Was following a car into the turn lane and out from under the car comes THIS:

Didn't have time to stop. Didn't have time to avoid it. Hit that fugger straight on. I thought I smashed my front wheel. It bounced back up and out. Then my rear went in. Hit HARD. Bounced back up into my ass and bruised my tailbone. THAT caused the front wheel that was coming down to smack down HARD and skid. The rear wheel then came down and skidded as well, fishtailing just a bit. Not enough for me to lose control but enough for me to almost sh!t my pants.

I kept the sonofabitch up. I am not sure how. I hit HARD and the second hard hit of the rear wheel almost REALLY screwed me up. I finally stopped up ahead for the light and looked to my rear. There was a pickup behind me and the guy gave me a thumbs up! I just shook my head.

I don't know if you can tell the size of that depression or not but the inlet lid should give you an idea of the size and diameter of it. I swear my wheel could fit IN that divet if the tire was removed, laying down of course.

No damage as far as I can tell. None. Tires didn't blow, lose pressure etc.

Shocks don't seem to be blown. Wiped the forks clean when I got home and have kept an eye on them to see if they are leaking at all.
Same fuckn crap happened to me in this city dude!! 3 years ago, had a bent/misaligned forks as the result... That's why I quit riding in city streets, not to mention these jerks here will run you over and keep going.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Lucky guy, good job to keep it up!

It's amazing that our tax dollars go to pay for upkeep of the roads and yet cities can be so negligent to just let something like that go without even posting a warning sign. If you would have gone down, as so many riders have when hitting unmarked potholes, you have absolutely no recourse against the city or state.

Another good reason no to follow the car in front of you too closely.

If the public works responsible for maintaining this road has knowledge of the problem and does nothing, I find it hard to believe there is no recourse. I think a Judge would find after a day or two something should have been done to correct or warn of the problem.

I have called CHP (911) to let them know of a chunk of concrete that was missing in a lane on a freeway, about a square foot. The next day, maybe even the same day for all I know, the lane was shut down and repaired.

Maybe a PI attorney or paralegal could let us know.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'd check the rims for roundness and uniform width and the side walls for blisters.

Glad to hear you saved it.

·
Official Retired Person
7,440 Posts
I hit a similar 'structure' in my fair city a while back. Did it on the very first brand new bike I ever bought - 1995 BMW R1100RS. Both rims bent, broken saddlebag mount, missing left rear reflector. $1450 damage. City wouldn't pay anything because it had not been reported before I hit it! Honest. City attorney called me to discuss and said since they didn't know about it, they weren't responsible. I joked and said I should have reported the hole one day, then called the next to report the damaged bike. He didn't laugh at that.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
How was the lighting was it dark or Twilight ? Shadows can play tricks on you . Seems like some are thinking you were following too close..You think some public employee (cop bus driver or a cabbie) would have the dedication to call the city and report the defect before it got that bad. The main highway around here The 402 has chunks of asphalt 10 feet long and up to 6 " wide missing from the center of the lanes . That situation would kill a biker . It is criminal to let it get that bad...Glad it wasn't worse for yah

1 - 20 of 34 Posts