Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, went out, hit the square (where parts of Public Enemies was filmed here in Crown Point, IN) and stop, turn on my signal and a woman in a malibu pulls to my right!!! right across the square is a group of dudes with their bikes. They start hollering at her. Anyway, she goes, I go next and head around to meet up with the guys. Then opposite corner a guy tries to cut into my lane. I lay on my horn. This is where another tool sideswiped me earlier this year and took off. Anyway, I think I'm pushing my luck so I stop to talk to those guys.

They admire the Duc BIG time. Makes me happy I got one instead of the plethora of Jap choices once again!

I go for a ride with them. Of course, everyone is in shorts and tees and is doing wheelies nonstop on 30mph street in front of the famous Dillinger jail to boot!

These tools made me sooo nervous. I stayed FAR back so I wouldn't run over the first one to go down. Luckily they never do.

We stop at a gas station. The one asks me why I'm not pulling wheelies. I tell them the bike's not made for games, it's made to race ;) He says "no, you just don't want to break your $20k bike and I don't blame you!" I'm like HAHA LOLZ.

Finally the group breaks up and I end up eating some Wendy's with the one new guy on probation for something dumb but is a new rider and was cautious and safe. We talk and he sooo admires the Ducati. We pick up his girl at another place and he says "listen to his bike start up babe, you sit on that thing and feel it rumble your cooter will get all wet." and she says to this "it's already wet, do you have a girlfriend!?!?!?!" I'm like LOL!

Gotta love the Ducatis!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
They don't call it Sunday Squid Day for nothing...

If I saw those wheelies, I would just turn out and ride far far away from them... No need to get pulled over and ticketed on account of association.

But that's just me, I'm anti social like that, especially when it comes to riding g with squids and parolees :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
They don't call it Sunday Squid Day for nothing...

If I saw those wheelies, I would just turn out and ride far far away from them... No need to get pulled over and ticketed on account of association.

But that's just me, I'm anti social like that, especially when it comes to riding g with squids and parolees :)
+1 I remember going on a ride through Los Gatos and was heading toward Highway 9 on Santa Cruz and kind just blended in with some other riders heading there. A few of them waved, then the wheelies started and i just pulled off, went for coffee and got back on 15 minutes later.

I get embarrassed being around them, not to mention the danger.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like quite the down and up day. I had a group of friends that acted like that, wheelieing up and down main street, I just got tired of it and changed my riding buddies. One of the best things to do; Avoid Squids at all costs!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I attended my mandatory Military Sport Bike Riders Course about three weeks ago. Most of the guys there were cool mature riders, that granted had had their wilder days, but were in good gear and well maintained bikes. But holy crap were there a few true dumb ass squids. I was embarrassed to be in the same room with these guys. When the instructor asked for everyone to mention something stupid they had done in the last month and on a scale of 1-10 rate what they though their riding skill to be. One winner said he had split lanes out on the local freeway and hit 140 indicated, thought his skill level at about a 3 because he had only been riding 4 months. His brand new GSXR looked like it had been through a sand paper car wash...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I attended my mandatory Military Sport Bike Riders Course about three weeks ago. Most of the guys there were cool mature riders, that granted had had their wilder days, but were in good gear and well maintained bikes. But holy crap were there a few true dumb ass squids. I was embarrassed to be in the same room with these guys. When the instructor asked for everyone to mention something stupid they had done in the last month and on a scale of 1-10 rate what they though their riding skill to be. One winner said he had split lanes out on the local freeway and hit 140 indicated, thought his skill level at about a 3 because he had only been riding 4 months. His brand new GSXR looked like it had been through a sand paper car wash...
Curious as to what the instructor's response was? I take my SBRC on the 25th of this month.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is the reason I ride solo most of the time. So hard to find good riding buddies. Expecially when I don't ride much on the weekends in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I tell them the bike's not made for games, it's made to race."

So, where do you race it?
Funny. I don't. Doesn't mean it wasn't made to race.

The one kid was really wanting to wheelie and didn't know how. They were telling him to dump his clutch at 12k rpm while going 50!

Anyway, later I told him just to keep trying and relax. His bike was made for that as that's what the "market" for the GSXR expects it to do.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nick- Sorry, please give my apologies to Matt and Ben. I did not know they ran run of the mill production 600cc Suzukis and Yamahas to win Superbike titles!

:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nick- Sorry, please give my apologies to Matt and Ben. I did not know they ran run of the mill production 600cc Suzukis and Yamahas to win Superbike titles!

I didn't know Haga and Larry Pegram use run of mill 1198's - good to know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, can you at least agree that when Ducati designed the 916/748 etc. it was because they were proud of their racing heritage and were not interested in making sales to guys who just want to do wheelies for 200 yards?

That was my whole point- that the bike this kid has CAN wheelie because it was made to do so- because that's what Suzuki knows it's buyers want.

Is that not simple enough? Must us Ducati owners argue about this?

·
Registered
698 Posts
We should not argue about it. I just find those statements funny because if you look back at the history of Japanese bikes and Ducati they all started in the same spot.

1) Build cheap transportation in a post war era.
2) Go racing to showcase their product(s) and generate sales. (race on sunday sell on monday)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ok, can you at least agree that when Ducati designed the 916/748 etc. it was because they were proud of their racing heritage and were not interested in making sales to guys who just want to do wheelies for 200 yards?

That was my whole point- that the bike this kid has CAN wheelie because it was made to do so- because that's what Suzuki knows it's buyers want.

Is that not simple enough? Must us Ducati owners argue about this?
\

Your bike will wheelie, and pretty damn easy, too. It's not made to race, it's a street bike. As for them not being made to play with, they're toys damnit. My S4, with a 916 engine in it, will wheelie pretty much anytime, anywhere up to about 75 mph, your bike will do it even faster. So get off the high horse about having a racebike that is superior to everyone elses Suzuki because it costs more, and get out there and have fun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes I know my ST3 will wheelie, so would the BMW R75/5 I owned 30 years ago. That does not mean I need to wheelie. There are old riders, and there are bold riders. There are few old bold riders. When you learn that you live a lot longer.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
...anyway....sounds like fun. Glad everyone had a good time and nobody got hurt. To each his/her own. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts