Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the lines and the simplicity of the air cooled 1100. I want to build a dedicated track day bike and I was wondering if the new Monster line had the geometry and specs to be a good choice.

I would install clip-on's and rear sets for clearance and remove any street parts to drop weight.

Would this be a good platform for this or not?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put my 1100S on the track and if you are serious and want to be in the top grade. Get something else. Not quite enough top end for the big tracks and hard to find a good rear shock set up with no rear linkage. Street fighter is the better option.
Sent from my LG-P990 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
345 Posts
I really like the lines and the simplicity of the air cooled 1100. I want to build a dedicated track day bike and I was wondering if the new Monster line had the geometry and specs to be a good choice.

I would install clip-on's and rear sets for clearance and remove any street parts to drop weight.

You said mouth full. And your question begs many more ? When you say geometry are you talking rake & trail numbers ? Because the 1100 isn't ideal in those terms but as with everything else you can change the bikes geometry. It sounds like you havn't spent a lot of time around race bikes which is fine but my advice is spend about 6K on a well sorted used race bike a 600 I$ or an Suzuki 650 SV and the money you save can be spent on track days & tires. Save the Monster for the street.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I raced a Mille R Superbike and a 1098 in the past.

I am now looking for a lightweight track bike for track days, not for racing. I really like the old SuperSport 1000 bikes and I am looking for something similar with the modern EVO motor and brakes.
I suppose i will ave to "make" one of these since Ducati really does not have this platform anymore, so I am looking for the best bike to start with.

I know the old Paul Smart bikes went pretty well and the also have a no link rear shock setup, so that must be workable with proper set up.

Wanting to make the bike as light and quick handling as possible. Corners are where the fun is, the straights can be eaten up by anyone with a wrist and a YZF/CBR/ZX1000.

·
Registered
14 Posts
no

in short NO not even close to a proper track/race bike.

kev

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey kev

hey man there are a ton of used 07 08 tuonos on the ape board you've been on there forever right? i sold my race bike over the winter and bought a tuono F for the street/track bike and its a great platform. Or id say just do the rrv you were talking about contact Kalex racing they have that badass sxv kit.

kev

I raced a Mille R Superbike and a 1098 in the past.

I am now looking for a lightweight track bike for track days, not for racing. I really like the old SuperSport 1000 bikes and I am looking for something similar with the modern EVO motor and brakes.
I suppose i will ave to "make" one of these since Ducati really does not have this platform anymore, so I am looking for the best bike to start with.

I know the old Paul Smart bikes went pretty well and the also have a no link rear shock setup, so that must be workable with proper set up.

Wanting to make the bike as light and quick handling as possible. Corners are where the fun is, the straights can be eaten up by anyone with a wrist and a YZF/CBR/ZX1000.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Ape RRV scares me a little with the reliability of the 450/550. It seems like a cool project, I am just not convinced the motor will not need a lot of attention.
No more than I get to ride now, I do not want to spend all my down time pampering a finicky engine.

Had the Ape Tuono, RSV and I really want something that can be made lighter. Brilliant handling and good power, but I have done that.

I have always loved the air cooled Duc's. I'll keep searching for a solution I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
kev

kev send me a pm with exactly the stuff you are looking for i'll see if i can help you out. no i'm not going to make money off of him for the rest of you who read this. he's been on the ape forum with me for a long time.

kev

The Ape RRV scares me a little with the reliability of the 450/550. It seems like a cool project, I am just not convinced the motor will not need a lot of attention.
No more than I get to ride now, I do not want to spend all my down time pampering a finicky engine.

Had the Ape Tuono, RSV and I really want something that can be made lighter. Brilliant handling and good power, but I have done that.

I have always loved the air cooled Duc's. I'll keep searching for a solution I guess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Track EVO

You can trackbike anything. I've seen BMW touring rigs to a Honda 1800 VTX. I see no reason you cannot do it with the 1100EVO. Question is can you afford to bin a $12,000 Monster, into scrapmetal ? My personal trackbikes are GSXR-750 and a SV-650. These bikes are well supported with aftermarket products for replacement parts. Check out NESBA or WERA web sites for a well sorted track ready bike and have fun.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
The problem with a monster chassis for serieus track work is the rear wieght bias. You can't get enough weight on the front. Will want to tuck the front and run wide.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
in short NO not even close to a proper track/race bike.

kev
It's not about the bike. Here's a video of a guy eating up 1098s and literbikes on a Multistrada at the track.

That said, if you've never done a track day I'd get something cheap like an SV650 or a 696 to flog at the track before going nuts modding a Monster 1100.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice video.

Based on the watching the lines and body positioning of the riders he passed, I would suspect he was not in the racer group but probably an intermediate group of riders.
Still one heck of a ride for him, especially on a MS.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Unless your a VERY accomplished racer with race rubber on, your probably going to be a moving chicane on a Multistrada in the Expert class at a trackday at any decent size track.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Unless your a VERY accomplished racer with race rubber on, your probably going to be a moving chicane on a Multistrada in the Expert class at a trackday at any decent size track.
The guy asked if you can make a track day bike out of a Monster 1100 EVO. Of course you can. Is it ideal? Of course not.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hmmm... you could always just ditch the frame and grab a F042, RAD02, or modify a 916/999/1098 generation frame for the ultimate track beast. Have a look for my posts, I did something similar, 154kg, 109rwhp goes hell quick and heaps of fun

·
Registered
470 Posts
You said mouth full. And your question begs many more ? When you say geometry are you talking rake & trail numbers ? Because the 1100 isn't ideal in those terms but as with everything else you can change the bikes geometry. It sounds like you havn't spent a lot of time around race bikes which is fine but my advice is spend about 6K on a well sorted used race bike a 600 I$ or an Suzuki 650 SV and the money you save can be spent on track days & tires. Save the Monster for the street.
Best advice, u can build the ultimate sv650 trackbike and plenty of spares parts, tires and trackday fees for a lot less than the sticker price of a new bone stock monster1100. Granted the monster is drop dead gorgeous and a bazillion times cooler in comparison, but forpure track duty the money would much smarter in the suzuki. A good running used but reliable sv is $2500-3000 all over craigslist, imagine what u can do w the rest of the $...

·
Registered
175 Posts
something like this perhaps?

Roller, RAD02 CroMo frame, 999R Ohlins front with CNC triples, 1000M alu swingarm with TTX Ohlins of R1, BST carbon rims, yoyodyne Titanium rear disc, 748R front discs, Ohlins damper, titanium swingarm pivot bolt, engine bolts, front axle, engine casing bolts, magnesium engine cover clutch side, flip levers, BST Carbon bars, Pierobon Alu subframe, Alu fairing stay with Starlane Athon GPS dash, and LCD voltmeter for LiPo4 battery, Corse rearsets with carbon heelguards, NCR cam covers. CNC fuel cap, custom oil catch, vortex alu sprockets, titanium front sprocket lock nut.

engine, 1000DS, modded with; 1100 hypermotard barrels, Hi-comp Pistal pistons, carrillo rods, balanced crank, NCR camshafts, bigger valves, ported and flowed heads, TPO-R manifolds with K&N intakes, 45mm Termignoni headers onto 50mm Spark megaphones, Bucci slipper clutch, 749R Corse close ratio gearbox, nemesis ECU, few mods left for late 2012/2013

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMO no, the Monster 1100EVO just won't work for you. My Supersport was actually really great for the track, until my mate binned it. Then spent nearly a year getting replacement parts for it. We have a local guy who rides a Hypermotard 1100 in the top level and laps faster than most. Which was really embarrassing for me on my 1198... skill makes up for a lot...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts